Need help finding new V-6 Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of a very slightly used F150....but I'm not sure he will. New, a crew cab F150 would probably be too expensive for his needs and be over $28 to $30k. But used, I'm sure the price would be much better and with the extra power/torque (although he says he wants a V-6 pickup) and room he would really have a great vehicle. He will be putting a lot of miles on this truck so convincing him to start out with one that has over 20k miles will be tough.
The Tacoma looks very nice for his needs....but is it as roomy in the passenger area as the Equator and the Ridgeline? If so then I will suggest he drive one of those too.
He will be getting back with me in a few days so I have a bit of time to give him this info. I did tell him that once he decides between three or four trucks, he MUST go test drive each one BEFORE he lets a salesman convince him what to buy. My friend is a busy manager type that has little time to 'mess' around....that's why he asked me for help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Personally I'd find a two+ year old Tacoma and go with that if he wants a smaller truck.

That's what I did when I bought my Tacoma last summer. I found an 06 with 12k miles for $13,200 out the door. The dealer wanted 18k plus tax and license for basically the same thing.

Originally Posted By: HARTZSKY
Like you said, your friend should test drive his top 3 picks and then make a decision.

That is a must! I know allot of people that never test drove their cars and were sorry later on.

Yes...I've advised him to test drive at least three before he makes his mind up. I will tell him of the advantages of a low miles used F150, but I feel he has made his mind up to purchase new. I don't think in the Seattle area it is very easy to get a crew cab F150 for under $28k.
From what I've seen the Suzuki (a Nissan anyway) looks like a great vehicle. Early reviews look great with one off road mag giving it a truck of the year award. Prices look really good too.
I've been gathering online info on all these suggestions....keep up the ideas and in a few days I'll give him all this input and see what he decides.

Ford Ranger.

Perfect weekend truck. Should have a rebate on em'..so he can get what he wants for a good price....

Believe me, I would have already suggested that except for the "large back seat" requirement. Unfortunately, there is no such thing available in a US spec Ranger. If he lived in Mexico or South America, a crew cab Ranger would work great, but Ford decided the US should get the Sport Trac instead.

Yep....the Ranger has no four door w/large back seat. I'm not sure if he wants something truly 'roomy' or something that CAN seat three adults in the back seat. I know the Ridgeline I had actually had a very roomy interior....I'll bet the F150 does too. He did also say that having a 4x4 isn't really needed....but in the same breath he wanted to be able to manage a mountain pass (much snow...Cascade range) once in a while. I'll have to ask him again just HOW important going over a snowy pass is and how often he will be doing it in the winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
The 4.0 in the Frontier is bulletproof. If you believe Consumer Reports, their reliability is well up there. Solid truck. With 260 H.P. you can't expect fuel economy like a Civic.

The engine is reliable but I'm not too sure about their transmissions. My father in law has an 07 Frontier Nismo edition and it has under 20k miles with a tranny problem. At around 40 mph it will "jerk" (not harsh but you will notice it) and it's been back twice already but Nissan says they can't duplicate the problem.
smirk2.gif

Like everyone else stated, get the f-150 with the v8, you can get one for cheap right now.

Well, I have gotten much info now on what truck he should get AND all the great opinions here from you folks. After taking in all this and knowing the type of person he is I think the best vehicle for his needs is a Honda Ridgeline (if he can get one at a good price). Because of the really good pricing and 'bang for the buck' value, I will advise that as a second choice the Suzuki Equator will suit his needs. Thirdly, and only if he will even consider it, I will tell him to get an F150.
Bottom line to all this is that I will STRONGLY tell him to test drive all three and ignore the salesman. After doing that he should know what vehicle he prefers. My opinion is that he is already sold on the Suzuki though.
Thanks again and I'll let you know what he gets....and if he likes it down the road.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: tig1
FORD. Finest Operating Road Devise.

F 150

Found On Road Dead.

Fix Or Repair Daily.

J/K of course
grin2.gif

Shut up!

Go Ford!!!

Better gas mileage just because it has a V6? Not true.

My father in law drives a 2002 Silverado ECSB, 4.3V6/auto, 2wd, mostly highway/rural driving. He gets 19-20 average and on long trips up to 22. He has NEVER had the truck over 70.

My mother in law has the same truck, in 2000 model 5.3V8/auto flavor. She drives like a frat boy with a Camaro IROC and gets 22mpg in mixed driving and 24-26 on longer trips (Houston to/from Dallas). She goes 75-80 on the interstates.

There is no incentive to get the V6 in the big trucks. They don't have the grunt to get going or keep speed up. I imagine on the Chevy/GMC the 4.8 woujld be a good compromise. The 4.6 in the Ford should act the same way, bridging the gap between the gutless 4.2 and the hp monster 5.4.

On average, and certainly around town, I beg to differ on the mpg of a V-8 four door truck vs. a V-6. Although it is true that a V-8 these days is VERY close to what most V-6 vehicles can do, on average the V-6 is still a better vehicle on gas. Gutless? Sometimes, especially in a full size truck...but in a medium sized truck (Ridgeline, Tacoma) it's perfectly suited to the task. But yes, I would prefer a V-8 if the difference was only a couple of mpg's.
I presented my info (with the generous help of the above posters) to my friend and he will get back with me about what he decides. I really hope he takes at least three for a serious test drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back