Need help closing a network connection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day my wife got a laptop (our first) and she wanted to transfer some of her files from the desktop over to the laptop. I tried to set up a wireless network so so could do it via wifi. I know it could have been done by simply using a flash drive, but I wanted to learn how to do it this way. Anyway, I achieved temporary limited success. Her computer did "see" the network for a while, but now it doesn't so I just want to get rid of the network and I'll fiddle with it later. The problem is that I can't... It won't let me.

In my network and internet connections, there is the LAN which is what I've always used since plugging into the ethernet port and now there is Internet Connection. This is what I added when trying to transfer the files. I want to get rid of it, so when I right click and try to select "disable", it gives me the message "It not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation". No matter what I try, it always gives me this message. If I disable the LAN, then it goes away but obviously I can't do that because then I loose the connection the internet. What's concerning is that it shows data being sent and received.

So, what did I do and how do I fix it?

Can you tell us a little bit more about your setup? What operating system? Are you saying you want this to be standalone computer that is not connected to a network or the internet in any way, shape, or form?

Is it XP? Is this what you are seeing:

NetworkConnections.png

If so, that's perfectly normal. It simply means that uPnP is enabled on your router and Windows has detected it as a gateway device.

Sorry for the lack of clarity and info. Yes, it's XP, SP3.

barlowc, I'm saying that I want to get my puter back to the way it was, if only for a learning exercise, or better yet, complete my set up.

Initially, it was only the desktop, which was running off of the internet via ether net. In network connections, it was seen as the LAN.

Then I wanted to try to transfer files and set up a network via wifi, so I attempted to create one, which didn't work too well. This is the Internet Connection that can be seen in OVERKILL's pic.

Now I'm trying to rid myself of it, or complete the task, but like I said in the first post, I keep getting some goofy message. What is causing this?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

barlowc, I'm saying that I want to get my puter back to the way it was, if only for a learning exercise, or better yet, complete my set up.

Initially, it was only the desktop, which was running off of the internet via ether net. In network connections, it was seen as the LAN.

Then I wanted to try to transfer files and set up a network via wifi, so I attempted to create one, which didn't work too well. This is the Internet Connection that can be seen in OVERKILL's pic.

Now I'm trying to rid myself of it, or complete the task, but like I said in the first post, I keep getting some goofy message. What is causing this?

You need to re-read my post.

It comes from your computer detecting uPnP on the router. It isn't a "connection" which is why you can't delete it. It is an extension of your current LAN or WiFi (or both) connection because it has now detected your router as a gateway device.

You could disable uPnP on the router and it SHOULD go away, but it may not be immediate.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

You need to re-read my post.

It comes from your computer detecting uPnP on the router. It isn't a "connection" which is why you can't delete it. It is an extension of your current LAN or WiFi (or both) connection because it has now detected your router as a gateway device.

You could disable uPnP on the router and it SHOULD go away, but it may not be immediate.

Oh, re-reading it wont do me much good, as I'm afraid I don't understand. Would you explain what uPnP is? I'm really curious as to why it appeared when I tried to set up the network. When I did that, I got another pair of blinking computers down in the lower right corner. The first was always for the LAN, but now I have an additional.

Please forgive me, as I'm sure it seems like a bunch of ramblings from an computer illiterate idiot... Oh... Wait... At one time, I knew enough to be fairly dangerous, but I started doing too many other things (pastimes) and computers slipped from my brain and rapidly outpaced me.

uPnP is Universal Plug and Play. It allows a computer to request dynamic port mapping from the router so that you don't have to statically map port forwards.

For example, say you have a game that requires incoming connections on port 5548. If you have uPnP on your router, your computer can request that port be forwarded to the IP of the computer running the game.

For uPnP to work, it uses the Gateway Discovery Protocol. This finds your router on your network and subsequently yields the funky little connection you see in your control panel.

If you want to remove this, here are the instructions from Microsoft:

Originally Posted By: Microsoft

The Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client permits Windows to detect and interact with Internet gateway devices. Internet gateway devices include routers and computers that run Internet Connection Sharing. Internet gateway devices use SSPD to broadcast their availability on the network. Using SSPD to do so permits clients to automatically locate the IGD device and use the device as their default gateway for external network access.

Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) makes the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client an optional networking component that you can add or remove by using Add or Remove Programs. You can add or remove the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client, based on your individual requirements. For additional information about how to obtain the latest Service Pack for Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack

If you want to remove the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client after you install Windows XP SP1a, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the Components list, click Networking Services, click Details, and then click to clear the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client check box.
Click OK, click Next, and then click Finish.
Restart your computer.

Note If you need the functionality of the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client, standard firewall practices

Does that help?

It does, thank you.

Before I go and remove it, is there anything I can do to complete the process so to speak. That is to say, build a network so the better half's Windows 8 laptop can access the files on the XP desktop?

You shouldn't have to "build" anything. Make sure File and Print Sharing is installed on the XP computer and that the folder you want to access is shared. As long as both computers are on the same network, you should be able to access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back