Need heat shield for Aftermarket Catalytic Converter

Excessive heat is getting past the shield mounted to the body of the car? Are you sure the heat isn't coming from the flex pipe section?

Unless the heat felt in the interior is dangerously or uncomfortably hot, I'd leave it alone.
Flex pipe is a bit more forward, but I will double check.

What will she do differently to keep this cat?
No one makes a security shield for this car....yet.

Also, thieves generally do not target aftermarket cats.

Reactions: JTK
What will she do differently to keep this cat?

Keep the litterbox clean. Maybe a cat condo?

306517_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1624371749_.jpg

I did some research and found this product:

I think I will give it a try unless someone has a better idea?
I use that or similar. I will have to dig the before and after pictures. But on the R56 that CAT is right smack in front of the engine. :(
Now I can drive all day and if I wanted to could actually touch the CAT without melting my skin.

I just took this best I can do because of where I mentioned it is located.

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_133803642.jpg
    IMG_20210915_133803642.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210915_133830604.jpg
    IMG_20210915_133830604.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 22
The heat shields on the C/C itself look plenty adequate. There is even a factory shield attached to the body. Not much more you can do except pull the console out and apply some dyno mat to the floor board. That will cut a good amount of heat.

Unless you do a test that correlates to the cat temperature and the center console temperature it is hard to assume it is due to the cat lacking heat shield. For one this is the middle of the car so there's less surface nearby to dissipate heat to the exterior, then there's also the placebo effect. You also need to check whether sitting idle at the same engine output vs driving on the freeway with air flow between cat and floor has the same temperature.

I recently installed some transmission tunnel heat shield on my vehicle since I had the transmission out for a clutch job. I also put some directly on the heat shield that is bolted to the body. I haven't tried it yet (project still in progress) but that is a cheap solution you could consider.

The product is basically thick, dimpled aluminum foil, fiberglass mat, and adhesive. It is pretty easy to work with if you have gloves, long sleeve, and a sharp box knife and/or tin snips.

https://www.designengineering.com/products/shields-reflectors/ Floor & Tunnel shield is what I used.

Excessive heat is getting past the shield mounted to the body of the car? Are you sure the heat isn't coming from the flex pipe section?

Unless the heat felt in the interior is dangerously or uncomfortably hot, I'd leave it alone.
You nailed it. The issue was the Walker brand flex pipe.

6BB483C9-16F3-4543-ADDD-8172E3B15432.jpeg

Walker on the left, BRE/Bosal on the right.

The Walker pipe was slightly larger than the BRE pipe. Between the larger pipe and the bend, this positioned the exhaust system a bit closer to the chassis than the OE setup.

Installing the BRE pipe resolved the issue. The BRE pipe also has a provision to use the OE style crush gasket.

Last edited:
Back