Need computer cleanup after email hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always, always, ALWAYS check email with a computer using Ubuntu, except one time a couple of days ago when I checked it with a Windows 7 machine. I woke up this morning and noticed that everybody that I know had gotten an email listed with my address on it, but I didn't send it. It was a Yahoo account that I've had for years and I quickly changed the password. The Windows 7 machine gets all the recommended updates and I know enough not to click on any thing I shouldn't (or so I thought), but anyway something got in to it. I did a complete scan with MSE, but it showed nothing. My kid plays Mindcraft on it and I suspect that's how it got there, but who knows? Maybe he clicked on something and maybe it happened when I used it.
So...what is my plan of attack and what software do I use to scan it?

What did you use to check email? Web browser or something like Outlook or Live Mail?

Obviously it accessed the address book, but where was that stored?

I really prefer to check for a virus from another computer with the suspect harddrive attached. I know its a bit of a hassle pulling the harddrive, but it makes things so much easier.

What your detailing happens all the time. Spoofing an email address is very easy to do from anywhere.

If they actually "hacked" your e-mail they more then likely just found out the password. It tends to be easy (people never change them, they're easy to guess, using the same password across tons of websites, etc). You've already done what you need to do, change the password, so you should be fine.

If you want to virus scan the PC for peace of mind, your best bet for a %100 scrub is to pull the disk and use another PC as a sandbox to scan it, though that might not be an option. I'd huck another free AV on there, like AVG Free, just to run a full system scan at least. But more then likely you're fine.

Last edited:
So because you use Ubuntu, your not careful opening mail..
grin.gif
Did the link by any chance end in orll?

BTW - there have been zero incidents of hacking by just opening an email. At least for the past 5 years. You must do more than open the email. A link must be clicked or an attachment opened.

Yeah, there really isn't anything on your computer per se that needs cleaning at this point.

However, if you used the same email address and password to access other online services (banking, credit card accounts, utilities, etc.), then there is a risk they could have been compromised as well. Make sure to change your passwords there, too.

I fail to see where your computer was ever hacked?

most likely they just logged in to your yahoo account.

its fairly common to happen esp with yahoo and hotmail.

somewhat common with gmail.

As others have stated, it sounds like the e-mail address itself may be compromised, not your computer. Hence, you're not getting anything with a general anti-virus such as MSE.

Although it is a bit odd that you state it happened only after you checked your e-mail with Win7. If someone obtained the password for the e-mail account specified, they're going to be able to access it regardless of what Operating System you're using. If changing the password did not block access from a third party, then I would begin to look further into it.

Theres a "orl.exe" virus going around yahoo. Does a few nasty things locally, and spreads using yahoo contacts. Kruse saw the message was coming from somebody he knew and clicked, then somebody thought it was him, and so on. Because its contacts, yahoo email spam leaves it alone.

Obtaining your password most of the time has nothing to do with computer compromise.

It usually is done through "phishing" pretending a log in screen is secure where the information is actually is not.

Best thing to do is changing password and running a 2-step verification
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/enable_yahoo_mail_two-step_authentication_security.html

Use a diffrent machine just to be safe , Ubuntu is NOT safe.

The problem with ubuntu is your able to download open-sourced software very easily which you allow them to motify ANY files by giving your your information.

Just like on a Mac , once you give your password to the installer , if its malicious its too late. An updated Windows machine with internet security ( anti virus , maleware, and firewall ) is safest and most convenient way to use a computer.

Avast and MalwareBytes are my two fav software and I run both togheter, they have free version which include full on scan.

http://download.cnet.com/windows/

^ numbers 1 and 3 on that list to the right of screen.

Last edited:
As a follow up, I got a call from my credit card company that somebody tried to do a $2100 purchase to Best Buy this morning using my card number. In the past, I had used that computer once or twice to make an online purchase. I guess since my computer was not "hacked", it was an unusual coincidence. Anyway, I did a deep scan with AVG and hopefully all is now well. Thanks for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back