Need an SUV, current model Year or CPO, no cvt.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by GZRider
The CX-5 is an excellent vehicle that meets those requirements and is built on a well tested platform.

That sold a whole 154,500 units in 2019.

Compared to 384,000 CRV Sales

Compared to 448,00 RAV 4 sales in 2019

It seems there are others "better tested".

Going by this logic, Big Mac must be the best hamburger and Bud Light must be the best beer.
21.gif

Yea-I know to point things out about Mazda on here is forbidden. Maybe he should buy a Crown Vic.......that's where the love is on here. This thread is useless anyway...nobody knows if he wants a SUV (BOF) or a CUV. Or even what his budget is.......

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Yea-I know to point things out about Mazda on here is forbidden. Maybe he should buy a Crown Vic.......that's where the love is on here. This thread is useless anyway...nobody knows if he wants a SUV (BOF) or a CUV. Or even what his budget is.......

Yeah, he just quotes $300 a month. That's basically the thinking of a person who is used to debt. That $300 a month is a big range, could be $300 for 3 years, 5 years or 7 years or more. Cars are sold based on purchase price, not monthly payment.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Cars are sold based on purchase price, not monthly payment.

Sadly, cars are purchased based on a monthly payment amount that a person can muster, for a sizeable part of the population. And like you mentioned, a dealer can turn any deal into a $300 payment, even if it has to be spread over 20 years.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by macarose
Go here.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/

Then here.

https://www.facebook.com/48-Hours-And-A-Used-Car-327864380887174/

When you get a clearer picture of what specfically you're looking for the rest will be easy.

Dashboard light can't even get the generations of vehicles right, lumping different generations or have entirely different drivetrains together. Consumer Reports or even JD Power is better.

Perhaps you would be willing to help dashboard light improve their product information?

Seems out of his price range and early in production … a number have had engines overheating

Originally Posted by Astro14

Perhaps you would be willing to help dashboard light improve their product information?

All the information is readily available with nothing more than a simple google search. If they're incapable of doing even the absolute slightest shred of research on that, it's already a lost cause.

Armada if gas mileage is not an issue? GLA250? X1 or X2 base.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
My son is leaning towards a base Kona while he saves up for a CPO M40i or similar; the price/value ratio is tough to beat.

I personally like the Kona base model too that can completely avoid the DCT! Kona DCT is still experiencing overheat issue, and the other companies that dont have overheating problems. Also, i have some concerns for the base 1.6 Kona motor quality (QC) cause it is made in China...

Why no CVTs? I could understand this a few years ago, but today's CVTs are as good as any regular trannies...I would be more against turbo charged engines than CVTs...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
The CX-5 is an excellent vehicle that meets those requirements and is built on a well tested platform.

All this means is there are fewer used CX-5s available...

No one has mentioned the Chevy Equinox. Look at one that has the first number "2", which indicates made in Canada. There are a lot of new ones out there still for sale with #3 made in Mexico because of the recent GM strike. It has a proven 6 speed automatic and the 1.5L has been around long enough for the bugs to be worked out.

Originally Posted by grampi
Why no CVTs? I could understand this a few years ago, but today's CVTs are as good as any regular trannies...I would be more against turbo charged engines than CVTs...

I'm not concerned about their longevity, I just prefer a good automatic. I cannot believe anyone with a modicum of intelligence would choose a CVT over a ZF 8HP- but if any such nitwits exist, they are probably here on BITOG.

The Rav 4 hybrid does not have a chain-belt CVT. Instead, it's a motor/generator drive that is exceptionally reliable and IS NOT subject to the common CVT chain-belt failures. I find the Rav 4 hybrid to be a very pleasant driving SUV.

Originally Posted by Cujet
The Rav 4 hybrid does not have a chain-belt CVT. Instead, it's a motor/generator drive that is exceptionally reliable and IS NOT subject to the common CVT chain-belt failures. I find the Rav 4 hybrid to be a very pleasant driving SUV.

Personaal experince does not count on here...just opinions by those who have never driven one.......
lol.gif

Originally Posted by CKN

Personaal experince does not count on here...just opinions by those who have never driven one.......
lol.gif

Well said.

Unfortunately its awd is disabled at speed.

Originally Posted by CKN

Better tested or better results?
Sales numbers are something. Brand loyalty or recognition is something. Toyota and Honda do well overall but I've never been a believer in all one. Had some nice Goodyear tires but as brand, all GY not a win. There are standouts and exceptions, weak models or less than the best of the a brand.
Hard to go wrong these days if you nail down the important traits you narrow it down to. Eg- Cargo room isn't a great concern to all so they opens it up for that consideration.
I'll plug Mazda as a class winner in many of the auto publications. Their words center on value, fit / finish, nicer or upscale near-luxury trim and interior. Well thought and engineered ergo's strong owner / customer loyalty. Reviewers have personal nits but it's so easy to read between the lines and actual car enthusiasts in the biz is a very helpful point of view. If a Mazda comes sized or outfitted as a close competitor to your other considerations, you'll have no trouble finding them featured in real-world feed back and reviews.
Got to go see and drive though. The CX-9 we have has been great but the CX-5 looks more proportional - proper to me. Had to get those couple extra seats though.

Best of luck finding your next ride.

Last edited:
Back