Need an SUV, current model Year or CPO, no cvt.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Whatever buddy. Maybe you can find that 0% loan you were asking about, and buy something fun for a change...

You mean like maybe a Corvette?

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by grampi

I'd probably be 150 years old before any reached that kind of mileage. Assuming we kept them indefinitely. I don't expect to reach 150...

The wife and I do enjoy our vehicles. We are enthusiasts. If you want to drive the same vehicle for 400k miles, have fun.

As a former mechanic, I have the tools and experience to fix anything which might go wrong. I haven't had to repair anything on the BMW's yet... Sorry to disappoint your preconceived notions...

There is nothing preconceived about my notions...they are all backed up by hard data...of course I'm sure your BMWs are the most reliable vehicles on the road, regardless of what the data says...

Like I said, If you enjoy operating a lackluster appliance for 400K miles that's your choice. As for me, I find that life is much too short to drive unengaging, uninspiring, and boring transportation modules. I know for certain that I don't envy you.
But I doubt that the converse is true.

That's exactly what the Corolla is, an appliance, and a darn reliable one, which is exactly what I needed driving almost 3K miles a month. As long as it gets me from point A to point B, in a reasonably comfortable manner, which it does, it does exactly what I need it to do. No envy here, I'm sure a Corvette will satisfy my need for something fun and exciting...

That's exactly what the Corolla is, an appliance, and a darn reliable one, which is exactly what I needed driving almost 3K miles a month. As long as it gets me from point A to point B, in a reasonably comfortable manner, which it does, it does exactly what I need it to do. No envy here, I'm sure a Corvette will satisfy my need for something fun and exciting...

Wow, I cannot imagine being forced to wait until retirement to pick up a car that's engaging to drive. Having read Car and Driver and Road & Track since I was 10 it was simply unthinkable that I would willingly endure 40-50 years of drudgery before I finally slipped behind the wheel of an entertaining car. As a result, I have over four decades worth of priceless automotive themed memories- involving everything from a Datsun SPL311 to an E24 M6- and I wouldn't change a thing(except for selling the M6).
Corvettes? They are great cars- I could actually see myself owning a C8.
But I certainly would not have waited half a century for one.

Whatever buddy. Maybe you can find that 0% loan you were asking about, and buy something fun for a change...

Sure, if that 120 month, 0% loan on used cars can be found.

I know you've been talking about one for years...

Last edited:

Wow, I cannot imagine being forced to wait until retirement to pick up a car that's engaging to drive. Having read Car and Driver and Road & Track since I was 10 it was simply unthinkable that I would willingly endure 40-50 years of drudgery before I finally slipped behind the wheel of an entertaining car. As a result, I have over four decades worth of priceless automotive themed memories- involving everything from a Datsun SPL311 to an E24 M6- and I wouldn't change a thing(except for selling the M6).

Heh, I started reading Hot Rod, Super Chevy and Car Craft when I was like 11. Now that I'm 43 I've owned only two domestics: a beater S10 while in college (with more rust holes than windows) and a Saturn. And only one car that I considered fun (as a diesel no one else would). Funny how life turns out.

Originally Posted by supton
Heh, I started reading Hot Rod, Super Chevy and Car Craft when I was like 11. Now that I'm 43 I've owned only two domestics: a beater S10 while in college (with more rust holes than windows) and a Saturn. And only one car that I considered fun (as a diesel no one else would). Funny how life turns out.

I read those magazines too- my first car was a 1974 Monte Carlo. I started with a 350 2V and added 3:42 gears, an Edelbrock Performer intake, a Quadrajet carb,
a Crane camshaft, a recurved distributor, and a B&M Transpak. I refer to that period of my life as my "misspent street racing youth."

Ah, Monte's. For some reason I was more partial to I think to G bodies, the mid sizes of the 80's. Then I kinda preferred RCSB's. Then college came... having never gotten anything.

I have to see what comes after this crisis, maybe I'll be driving less and can justify a nicer car. Just dawned on me, over the last few days, that I now have a garage to work in--for some reason it's taken 10 months for that to settle in--and have been picking away at finally waxing the wife's car.

The time spent driving the Corolla isn't as bad as you make it out to be. No, it's not exciting or fun to drive, but it isn't brutal either...It's paid for itself 4 or 5 times over and has saved me thousands of $$$ over the years...

Last edited:

Sure, if that 120 month, 0% loan on used cars can be found.

I know you've been talking about one for years...

Not worried about financing for the Vette, I'll just write a check for that...

The time spent driving the Corolla isn't as bad as you make it out to be. No, it's not exciting or fun to drive, but it isn't brutal either...It's paid for itself 4 or 5 times over and has saved me thousands of $$$ over the years...

I never said a Corolla was a brutal drive; unexciting is more than bad enough. As I've said countless times before, for me the worst sin a car can commit is to be boring- and as my sig says, I buy what makes me smile.

Back