Need an oil recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG community! Long time lurker, first time poster. I need your great advice on oil for my vehicle. It is a 2009 Mercedes G55. There are many viscosities listed for it, but I guess the main thing is for oil to meet the 229.5 specification. Is that right? I was thinking of trying either Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil, or basically anything that is available and meets the 229.5 oil spec. My each oil change is nearly 10 quarts, so I would not want to spend $10-$15 per quart of oil... What are my budget, and good quality options?

Last edited:
Any of the 0w or 5w-40 Euro oils are fine. Mobil 1 0w-40 is popular. Castrol and Pennzoil make similar versions.

5w-40 HDEO like Rotella or Delo will work as well.

Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage will work and might help prevent or seal leaks if that's a concern.

Castrol 0W40 and Mobil 1 0W40 are available in a 5 quart jugs at WalMart and Amazon for about $25. They both have MB 229.5 approval.

Hard to beat either one of these.

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Castrol 0W40 and Mobil 1 0W40 are available in a 5 quart jugs at WalMart and Amazon for about $25. They both have MB 229.5 approval.

Hard to beat either one of these.

+1
smile.gif

Thank you everyone! I saw that Valvoline SynPower 5w30 was on the 229.5 approved list. Is that the same SynPower 5w30 that is available on the Walmart shelf, or is it a special "Euro" kind? "0w40" and "5w40 MST" Valvoline oils are on the list too, but I have never heard of Synpower 0w40... Was I looking at the wrong list or is the info about 5w30 SynPower correct? Thank you for all the inputs! Keep them coming! Trying to find the best possible compromise of performance, price, and availability. And are Pennzoil Euro oils available at Wal-Mart? Or anywhere?

I have a car that uses 229.5 oil,
and I use the Castrol Edge 0W-40 in the black bottle/jug.

Another option is Castrol 0W-30, but it's hard to find.
Same add pack as the-40, different viscosity...

Winter I use one -30, and three -40's, runs great...

The Pennzoil Platinum Euro runs good too, comes in 5W-40, and 0W-40.
I posted a VOA of the 0W-40...

Last edited:
The SynPower 5w30 at Wal-Mart is not MB approved. SynPower MST 5W30 is the ACEA A3/B4 rated oil which is also 229.5 approved.

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Pennzoil Euro 5W40 is available at Advance Auto Parts (and typically is included in the Pennzoil Platinum oil change specials that they run) or Amazon.

Originally Posted By: BenzFella
Thank you everyone! I saw that Valvoline SynPower 5w30 was on the 229.5 approved list. Is that the same SynPower 5w30 that is available on the Walmart shelf, or is it a special "Euro" kind? "0w40" and "5w40 MST" Valvoline oils are on the list too, but I have never heard of Synpower 0w40... Was I looking at the wrong list or is the info about 5w30 SynPower correct? Thank you for all the inputs! Keep them coming! Trying to find the best possible compromise of performance, price, and availability. And are Pennzoil Euro oils available at Wal-Mart? Or anywhere?

If that is really what you want, then go to Walmart and buy the cheapest oil that carries the specification required by your owner's manual. It truly is that easy. Ignore the brand, ignore the grade (viscosity). It is not relevant.

No oil that has the specification will be significantly different than any other. Just make sure that it meets the specification on whatever you buy.

Careful, the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w-40, Rotella, and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum SRT (black label) are not MB 229.5...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
The SynPower 5w30 at Wal-Mart is not MB approved. SynPower MST 5W30 is the ACEA A3/B4 rated oil which is also 229.5 approved.

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Pennzoil Euro 5W40 is available at Advance Auto Parts (and typically is included in the Pennzoil Platinum oil change specials that they run) or Amazon.

Does anybody know what the MST stands for???

Welcome to the OPer, BTW!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Does anybody know what the MST stands for???

I'm going to say it means Medium SAPS Technology since it designates oils that meet Longlife-04. The one that meets Longlife-01 is "HST"... High SAPS Technology?

Originally Posted By: NocturnalG
30 weight oils are not approved for your AMG engine.

SynPower MST 5W-30 carries MB 229.5. It's not about weights it's about minimum HTHS and approvals.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: NocturnalG
30 weight oils are not approved for your AMG engine.

SynPower MST 5W-30 carries MB 229.5. It's not about weights it's about minimum HTHS and approvals.

AMG engines have always required 40 weight oils... exception being the SLR.

Refer to sheet 223.2

Thank you for all the information so far! Definitely helps a lot! I really want to stay with a 40-weight oil, and there seems to be a lot of good options. Looks like AAP has a good deal on the CarQuest oil that meets the 229.5 spec. I never go above 5k miles, so I might try that. Seems like good oil, according to a recent post I found on here. But on the other hand I want to try Pennzoil Ultra 5w40, since it cleans the engine so much better than the competition... Mobil 1 and Castrol? Is that the competitors that Pennzoil talks about?

Hello BITOG community! Long time lurker, first time poster. I need your great advice on oil for my vehicle. It is a 2009 Mercedes G55. There are many viscosities listed for it, but I guess the main thing is for oil to meet the 229.5 specification. Is that right? I was thinking of trying either Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil, or basically anything that is available and meets the 229.5 oil spec. My each oil change is nearly 10 quarts, so I would not want to spend $10-$15 per quart of oil... What are my budget, and good quality options?

Hey there, BenzFella - Welcome to BITOG! Since you are considering different motor oils for your Benz, we wanted to offer you the opportunity to try a sample of Pennzoil Synthetics. We are currently running our Pennzoil Used Oil Analysis Program, and we'd love for you to participate. Through the program, you'll receive a sample of Pennzoil Synthetics for your application along with testing supplies and complimentary lab testing from Blackstone. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40, 5W-30 or 5W-40 meet the 229.5 specification, and we have them available to send. If you're interested, please send us a private message for more details. - Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back