need advice on choosing polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on my wife's 2008 SILVER Nissan Altima. The paint job still looks good and doesn't need much repair, if any.

Being that its silver, should I be over analyzing this whole polishing thing?

Today I bought Mothers pre-wax cleaner (step 1) and the seal and glaze (step 2) which I will more than likely follow up with some Meg's tech wax 2.0. The paint has been washed well and clay bar'd already.

I want to give it a good, glossy, wet look and protect the paint. The only repair work is some areas on the front bumper where love bugs died and etched the paint. For the rest of the car, should I just use what I bought today?
Or should I use some 3M Finesse it II, maybe some Meg's 205?

This can be very confusing. I plan on using a PC 7424 for the application method. I want to keep things simple.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I want to keep things simple.

One word, COLLINITE. Great to work with and you DO NOT have to worry about it staining any rubber, plastic parts. Check out their site for more info.

definitely over analyzing. i wash the car once a year. that's it.
no wax, no polish, factory paint with clear coat is plenty good enough.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
definitely over analyzing. i wash the car once a year. that's it.
no wax, no polish, factory paint with clear coat is plenty good enough.

Now wait a minute! I said keep things simple, not wanting that to lead to neglect! LOL.

I guess it all depends on what you want the end result to be. Silver is not a high gloss color. It refracts light, it doesn't reflect a lot of it, so its never going to have that rich glossy look of solid black or red.

Gloss is all about the reflection of the light spectrum back into your eyes. The more reflective the paint, the more glossy it will appear. To get this level of gloss you need to polish the paint to remove any scratches, swirls, or other paint defects. Fine polishing refines the gloss and wax protects it.

Personally, I think the Mothers products you bought are not ideal. They are formulated for hand application and are relatively light duty. I'd suggest buying some Mothers Power Polish or the new Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or whatever its called. Use an orange light cut pad. Follow it up with a lighter polish like a swirl mark remover then top with whatever wax you're going to use.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
I'd suggest buying some Mothers Power Polish or the new Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or whatever its called. Use an orange light cut pad. Follow it up with a lighter polish like a swirl mark remover then top with whatever wax you're going to use.

I have seriously contemplated the Meg's Ultimate compound and Swirl X.

I may go that route and exchange what I have for those 2.

Seems like a simple combination. I like simple.

Since the vehicle is only a year old and claying has been done, I would just stick on what you have i.e. Mothers' step 1,2 and the NXT wax.

Enjoy detailing!

you gota plan go with it, mother's is good stuff,step 1 then 2 then i'd go collinite 476 for durability and killer shine..

keep it simple...

If you have swirls or marring, I would recommend the Meg's 205 and finish with the NXT if that is what you have. Once you have used that you can decide if you want to make the changes. Personally, I prefer the "recently detailed look" so durability (some minor appearance of beading) is not important after 3 months.

You have to decide for yourself.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
megs ultimate compound is easy to use and finishes out well.

wanted to expand on my post, if you use UC you have to work it for a little bit, you cant just wipe it on, let it haze like a wax and then wipe it off. One guy did that on autopia and the car looked horrible with all the hazing and marring from not working the polish long enough.

Same goes for any polish. A polish has to be "polished" in for it to polish the surface. If you're doing it by hand and you havent cramped up yet then the polish still needs some more work! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back