Do I have to wash after clay bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on claying my car in a few weeks (never tried it before), and want to know if I have to wash after claying? Some say you have to, others not.

Here's what I plan to do:

1. Wash
2. Clay Bar
3. Paint Cleaner (Meguiars Step 1 Cleaner)
4. Polish
5. Wax

I always use the paint cleaner before the wax, but I'm going to try the polish this time too. (Meguairs Step 2 Polish) I don't know if the polish will make a big difference on a silver car, but it was free, so why not.

Seems like the paint definitely needs a good claying, after I washed it last week, the paint was gleaming but felt rough to the touch.

I have always followed the steps you outline with excellent success. I guess you could wash again, but it shouldn't be necessary. Enjoy!
cheers3.gif

You shouldn't need to unless you're using something odd as the lube. The paint should be squeaky clean (literally) after the clay.

Originally Posted By: adamg
Do I have to wash after clay bar?

You mean the clay bar didn't clean your hands?
grin2.gif

I wipe down with a towel (100% cotton, premium) lightly soaked with either distilled or R.O. water. It gets the clay and streaks off, and most of the lubricant (diluted Zaino wash). Leaves the car clean for whatever polish I'm using.

I was told washing again was not needed but can't convince myself to do it w/o washing the car again.

agree it is personal preferance. I use the dedicated clay lube that comes with the kit (megs smooth surface) and sometimes I use the DP wash and gloss( formerly dp 4 in 1 rinseless wash and shine) at the recommended clay bar lube dilution ratio).
-I spray a generous amount of whatever lube I am using and rub then do a thourough wipe down.

With the onr used as lube, there is a lot of water in the mix so it kind of helps to get any residue or streaks if there are any.

I hae not used soap and water as a lube but from what I read you can use it as a lube as you are washing, but it is recommended that you use a seperate container for the soap/water mixture so as to not get grit on the clay and to do a complete wash and rinse to make sure all the dirt and grime is off the car and then start claying

Its a waist of time,not needed any streaks if any at all will be
removedby the multiple next steps,your arm will be sore enough
after this any way so one less step is a plus,i never wash after
claying.

Thanks for the info everyone!

I was hoping I could skip that step, since I have to go to the car wash for the wash, then probably do the rest in the underground parking at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back