Need Advice- 1991 Buick Park Avenue

I had a '92 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged 3800 engine, black exterior, grey leather interior) that I bought used back in 2000.
That car was the last GM product I will ever buy.

When it worked, it was a fantastic highway car, and was also decent in snow.
Good long distance highway mileage, too, about 30 mpg on trips from NYC to New Brunswick.

But, oh god, was it a never ending saga of replacing parts.

Rear air adjust shocks x 2.
Front struts.
Harmonic balancer.
Crankshaft position sensor.
Cam position sensor magnet fell off of the cam gear, but I never replaced it, and just lived with the CEL for years.
Front engine mount failed twice, replaced it once, and just lived with it for years.
Every year, like clockwork, I would have to replace the ignition wires, because they would ground out on the engine block somewhere, and cause misfires.
Bose radio died, and I replaced it with a Sony head unit.
Headliner unglued itself from the ceiling, and annoyed the heck out of me.
Transmission failed, had it replaced, and the first drive after getting it back the differential part of the transmission literally exploded right around the corner from my house when I was going to the grocery store.
Nosecone on the supercharger always rattled, and leaked oil.
Water pump died, and needed to be replaced.
Exhaust system rotted out, so I had to replace it.
ABS pump always had an internal seal leak, and lead to a squishy pedal feel, until the abs kicked in, and then the brake pedal was nice and firm.
EGR valve died, and was replaced.
Every time I accelerated the engine past 3/4 throttle from a standing start, it would blow the fuel pump fuse. Never found the cause of the short, and lived with that, and a bag full of fuses for years.

Eventually, the hood release cable stretched so much from overuse that you couldn't pop the hood anymore, and when the battery died, and I couldn't get under there to fix it, I had it towed to the junkyard.

I actually moved from NYC to Denver in 2006, and I moved on my '89 Honda Pacific Coast, because I couldn't get the hood open in order to change the battery, so I just moved away without the car, and called the junk yard to come and get it.

By the end, I hated that car with a burning passion that hasn't left me to this day, even though its now been almost 16 years since I was freed of its death grip on my wallet.

BC.
That can happen with ANYTHING in life.
It sounds like your car was made on an early Monday morning or before 3:30 on a Friday afternoon.

That can happen with ANYTHING in life.
It sounds like your car was made on an early Monday morning or before 3:30 on a Friday afternoon.
It's what can happen to any eight year old car that was never maintained during its first eight years.

If it is a grand and it runs, frankly you aren't out much.
If you like it, go for it. It's a beater.

That is a wousy classic.

If I'm going to have a "classic" that nickel and dimes me every 600 miles or 6 weeks, whatever comes first, it's not going to be a car no one under 40, more like 60 years old would even consider buying new when it was sold.

Back