Need a tree removed, Minneapolis area. Recommendations?

Hopefully there's someone in my neck of the woods who's been through this. I have a BIG ol' Ash tree that the city flagged for Emerald Ash Borer and needs to be removed. Of course, they sent me their "city bids" that were laughable, from $2-10k. The tree is at least 20' tall, maybe 30', and it's in the back yard surrounded by an 8' privacy fence AND the power/fiber lines run directly through it.

I'm on the alley, so in theory they could just pull a bucket truck right next to it and trim it down. I would need the wood chopped and removed, I assume the stump can be treated and stay where it is. I'm wondering if anyone has had any recent tree work done in the area, what it cost, and who you used. Getting call-backs it proving to be difficult, I'm assuming they're all very busy now that it's warming up. The city gave me 60 days to take care of it, which I find a bit ridiculous, but it is what it is.

Thanks for any and all guidance!

So the city is forcing you to remove a tree that's on your own property? Didn't know that was a thing...
When the tree is infested, it's absolutely a thing. The only way to prevent their spread is removal. I really wish it was the tree on the boulevard, then it would be the city's problem. Or, the tree was hanging over power lines. Then I could likely get the power company to take care of it. Unfortunately, neither of those are the case.

I'm going to be taking out 3 ash trees in my yard this spring...no borers (yet) up here but they aren't healthy. I'm going to take care of it with a few buddies and chainsaws but no power lines or anything of the such to worry about. I've got to get quotes on stump grinding, however...something else to consider perhaps.

When the tree is infested, it's absolutely a thing. The only way to prevent their spread is removal. I really wish it was the tree on the boulevard, then it would be the city's problem. Or, the tree was hanging over power lines. Then I could likely get the power company to take care of it. Unfortunately, neither of those are the case.
I'm not surprised it needs removed, but I figured it would be a public service. It's not like you put the bugs there. What if someone doesn't have the means to take down an infested tree?

I'd Imagine the city does it and slaps you with a big bill..
similar to people who dont mow the yard?

I'm going to be taking out 3 ash trees in my yard this spring...no borers (yet) up here but they aren't healthy. I'm going to take care of it with a few buddies and chainsaws but no power lines or anything of the such to worry about. I've got to get quotes on stump grinding, however...something else to consider perhaps.

I wish, however I've got no time and no interest in tackling this myself. I want someone licensed and insured, that way if anything goes sideways (like the tree, for example), I'm covered.

I'd Imagine the city does it and slaps you with a big bill..
similar to people who dont mow the yard?

I'd have to imagine they would. Minneapolis doesn't really mess around with stuff like that, if they say jump you say how high. This is a necessity.

I used to do tree work. Anyone with a chainsaw and a pickup can do buzzers.
A legit tree company will be paying insurance, which is expensive.
If you get bids, I suggest you look at their gear. If you see Stihl or Husqvarna saws and quality ropes and saddles, they are for real.
If your house is near the tree, make sure everything is roped down.

Remember, tree work is dangerous; don't pick the lowest bid unless you feel very comfortable with the crew.
Good luck.

Hopefully there's someone in my neck of the woods who's been through this. I have a BIG ol' Ash tree that the city flagged for Emerald Ash Borer and needs to be removed. Of course, they sent me their "city bids" that were laughable, from $2-10k. The tree is at least 20' tall, maybe 30', and it's in the back yard surrounded by an 8' privacy fence AND the power/fiber lines run directly through it.

I'm on the alley, so in theory they could just pull a bucket truck right next to it and trim it down. I would need the wood chopped and removed, I assume the stump can be treated and stay where it is. I'm wondering if anyone has had any recent tree work done in the area, what it cost, and who you used. Getting call-backs it proving to be difficult, I'm assuming they're all very busy now that it's warming up. The city gave me 60 days to take care of it, which I find a bit ridiculous, but it is what it is.

I am in Roseville, had Eager Beaver Tree Service 651-488-6000 take something similar out last year. Paid 1350 and that included trimming another tree up high and stump grinding. Don't take anyones first quote. These guys are busy at certain times of the year but also get hungry for work too. I would tell the city you want 90 days. I had 3 quotes and they were all over the place. BTW, I too had power lines nearby. And yes he has insurance and has nice equipment (Husquvarna and a guy that does the ropes). Highly recommend.

Utilities go through the tree and they want you to pay to get it removed?

I'm going to take care of it with a few buddies and chainsaws but no power lines or anything of the such to worry about. I've got to get quotes on stump grinding, however...something else to consider perhaps.

I think the OP already established that this particular tree is in a bad spot for DIY removal. Otherwise yeah it's not that big that I wouldn't DIY.

Utilities go through the tree and they want you to pay to get it removed?
Yep. If it's pole to pole, I could get Xcel to pay for it. Unfortunately, it's pole to house. That's my problem. A couple of the branches juuuust touch the pole to pole lines, but not enough that they would do anything besides trim it.

Without seeing it I’d say tree services here in MO would charge $700-1200 to remove that and another $75-250 to grind the stump depending if you want the the area leveled, the wood removed and filled with soil, etc.

Back