Need a synthetic 5W20 substitute (can't find the 20 weight viscocity anywhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI-

All I've been hearing is that Mobil 1 is better than Amsoil XL7500 5W20.

The only question I have is:

*----Is Amsoil XL7500 5W20 better at extended drain intervals than Motorcraft?----*

0W20 Mobil is out of the question, unless you all have an online source you are willing to post. I cannot find 0W20 Mobil *ANYWHERE* in Northern California.

I'm curious to know why people think that Amsoil is a lesser oil than Mobil 1. Is there that much difference, when my engine can easily see over 180,000 miles on Motorcraft?

Thanks.

Here is the deal:

Amsoil has several different 'levels' of product. The weakest (I'm using this relatively here, not as a put down) oil in the lineup is the XL7500 lineup. This lineup is, according to Amsoil, aimed at more of the quick lube market who may not be interested in extended drain capability. In particular, this oil is designed for a 7500 mile service interval. It is not a synthetic oil in the true sense of the word, but is a Group III base oil. Other synthetics you may know of that fall into this category are Castrol Syntec, Valvoline Synpower, Pennzoil synthetic, etc... essentially every over the counter synthetic is in reality Group III oil. Pricewise, they are priced like a Group IV and up synthetic, when at this time, they are not as expensive to produce as a "true" synthetic, yet are priced like one. Amsoil is following suit with this lineup.

Is Mobil 1 better than Amsoil XL7500? IMO, yes. Do other Amsoil products stack up better against Mobil 1? Yes, IMO.

This thread and others went round and round trying to find a "synthetic" oil since that was what you were looking for in particular. In this case, since you cannot find Mobil 1 0w20, the appropraite choice would be Mobil 1 5w30, or any other true synthetic that you wanted, which is presumably readily availible. Not one ounce of harm would come to your engine for that choice. Dealing with warranty stuff is your call.

Ask any of your tech friends to demonstrate which clearances changed from engines that used 5w30 to those that used 5w20. Good luck on getting an answer...

The amount of misinformation, even amongst Ford dealerships on this issue is rediculous.

Good luck with the Amsoil.

dunno.gif

[ July 21, 2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: MNgopher ]

Okay, I'm getting way too much flak. I'm going to return the Amsoil, and I will splurge on some Mobil 1 5W-30. In my 01 4.6L F-150, I had 10W30 Red Line. I sprung two HG leaks, so I'm a little weary about the whole viscocity thing. I ask myself, " What is the oil wasn't making it to the more crutial parts of the engine, causing the heads to warp?" But, I realize that my engine temp would have to go up substantially in order to have that happen (ie. redline).

I'm just going to put this one to rest. I trust all your good advice, and I've been getting a so/so response to the Amsoil.

(I'm asking this under my breath) Will the Mobil 1 5W30 be a much better choice for engine longevity?

pat.gif
freak2.gif

[ July 21, 2003, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

mf150, OK, so you can't get M1 0-20. Fine, that is out. Buster and scholte, he can't get 0-20.

The Amsoil is a Group III pseudo-synthetic, just like the Castrol. The Motorcraft is also a blend, probably Group II + III. You said that you wanted a "Synthetic". Fine, then the Amsoil, the Castrol, and Motorcraft are out, too.

This state of affairs doesn't leave you with many options. And forget that nonsense that your 03 engine is somehow "tighter" than those of several years past. It is the same engine. 5-20 is not recommended because the engine is newer, tighter, or otherwise designed for it. How many times has this been said in this thread? IT IS THE SAME ENGINE. It was originally spec'd for 5-30. Use a 5-30 for Pete's sake and quit worrying about it.

Change your oil several times before 1500 miles, using whatever you want, to get the crud out. Then, after those changes, use Mobil1 5-30. I KNOW you can get that in San Francisco.

Oh, once again: Redline did not cause your HG leaks in your truck.

Relax. You're worked up into a lather over nothing. There are plenty of oil choices for you. There are thousands of Mustang drivers who don't know squat about oil, don't want to know, and never will. They go to Jiffy Lube. Their cars last just as long as yours will.

Out.

[ July 22, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: YZF150 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back