Need a synthetic 5W20 substitute (can't find the 20 weight viscocity anywhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
Okay, new question, now that I have decided to go with a 5W-30...

Should I use Red Line or Mobil 1?

Is Red Line API Cert.?

If so, which one will provide me with more protection?

Thanks.

pS I'm, looking for max protection ans longest possible service life.

I'd have to vote for Amsoils ASL 5w30 if you want to follow those criteria. Max Protection/Service Life.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
And quit worrying about your warranty. It is just as likely that you will have an oiling-related engine failure as it is that you will win the lottery.

But if the engine did fail due to manufacturing problems, and you didn't keep up your oil changes or you used a non approved oil, they could try to use that against you to get out of the warranty claim. You might be able to win it in court, but you'd be fighting them for years before you saw a dime.

I don't know if they have them in Northern Cal., but I was at Murray's Auto Parts a few days ago and they had Mobil 1 0w-20. It was $4.99/quart. They also had Mobil 0w-40 and two viscosity grades of Amsoil. I think 5w-30 and 10w-30. HTH

Patman, possibly correct. But how likely? Not very, I think. I have only my own experience, in addition to the trends of discussion on this board by which to measure this assertion. But I just don't get the impression that dealers make their missions in life the denial of service claims under warranty.

Edit: I want to add this, that I've read many, many posts on this board alone about members who get their oil changed at dealerships, and the dealers themselves don't even use the viscosity oil recommended in the manuals.

I just think that this is much less of an issue than it is made out to be.

[ July 21, 2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: YZF150 ]

My problems are solved! I went to my Ford dealer,and behold, They sell Amsoil XL7500 synthetic 5W20 motor oil!

This is great!!!

Thank to all for your help!

mf150...you're not going to trust Ford over US, are you?
grin.gif

quote:

My problems are solved! I went to my Ford dealer,and behold, They sell Amsoil XL7500 synthetic 5W20 motor oil!

This is great!!!

Thats pretty **** nice if you ask me. Our Ford dealer ships only carry Motorcraft, which is probably on par with the Amsoil XL line but still a great alternative. Just a note, Mobil 1 0w-20 can be found at Walmart. Not sure why no one has been mentioning that.

Just recognize the XL7500 is a group III synthetic, same as most other OTC synthetic oils. I'm not saying its bad stuff, just want you to know what product you are getting. The 5w20's all seem to contain a healthy dose of the Group III as it is today anyway...

No, I don't trust Ford over you all
wink.gif
. I just have heard good things about Amsoil from here, and when I found out that my Ford dealer sells the stuff, well ****!!!!*&^%$#@@!@#%^&*!! Yupee!!! Problem solved. It meets the ford specs and it's an ultra-refined dino synthetic (is this a fair translation???)

The "Motorsport Dude" that I talked to runs the stuff with great results in his 02 Lightning. He suggests 7500 mile intervals,with periodic 2500 mile filter changes, but I am prone to run it for 5,000 miles then change both the filter and the oil. how does this sound to you all?

I'm happy I finally found the stuff!

-Matt

PS The closest Walmart to me is probibly about 2 hours away. Costco, Kragen, and Pep Boys doesn't have the Mobil 0W20.

What would you use as a 5W-20 substitute? I can't find any synthetic anywhere. There is teh trusty Motorcraft oil as well as the Catrol etc., but I want a synthetic that is going to match my engine requirments.

Problem not solved. The Amsoil is the same type of oil as the Motorcraft. You said that you wanted a synthetic, and it appears that you don't want the type that is Motorcraft or Castrol.

Do you mean a non-Group III synthetic? If so, then it's not the Amsoil, either.

quote:

But I just don't get the impression that dealers make their missions in life the denial of service claims under warranty.

I've seen it firsthand, a dealer denied me warranty on my rear end because the car was lowered and had a dump tube for the exhaust!!
mad.gif

quote:

Problem not solved. The Amsoil is the same type of oil as the Motorcraft. You said that you wanted a synthetic, and it appears that you don't want the type that is Motorcraft or Castrol.

Correct, and Mobil 1 0w-20 at Walmart is a group IV PAO based oil and has a nice healthy dose of Moly. I'd chose this over any of the above, group III oils.

Buster,

I'm with you...I'd go for the M1 0W-20 and keep watching mine and others UOAs for this oil to see how good it REALLY is.

The real problem is that I cannot get the M1 0W20 anywhere in Northern Cali. I live in San Francisco, and I've been to all the local speed shops as well as the regular chain stores in search of it. I've also checked all over for Red Line 5W20, but no distributor in my area can get the stuff. That is why I am happy with the Amsoil XL7500. Even though it is a highly refined Group III, I still feel better than running a group II+ oil (Motorcraft, Pennzoil, castrol). There is nothing wrong with the "Hydrocracked" stuff, but I do feel better getting the best possible Group III oil, which I feel is still better than the Conoco/Motorcraft stuff. If I'm wrong in assuming that Amsoil is better than the average Motorcraft, please tell me.

It won't matter after the engie breaks in, because I will most likely be switching to Mobil 5W-30 after the clearances open up a bit.

Thanks.

[ July 21, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

Good Lord guys, you really want to keep poor mf in a state of confussion. I really think that mf needs to feel comfortable with what he expects the oil to do for the time it's in the engine.
1-Oil changes @ 3,000 or 5,000 miles?
2-Are you doing hard core driving with the car?
3-Is money an object? Or best value important?
4-Do you care about warranty problems?
If you are going to change your oil every 3,000, care about warranty and don't care about value or costs then go with the Mobil 1 0W-20 or Amsoil 5W-20. If you are using 5,000 mile OCI, care about warranty then a oil such as Mobil 1 0W-20 or even the Amsoil 5W-20 is really needed. If going with 3,000 mile OCI and warranty and value are important you can't go wrong with a Ford spec'd 5W-20 oil. If warranty considerations and costs don't bother you then you can use any # of true synthetic oils in the 5W-30 grade. Only you can decide as to what oil is best for your needs and usage. Good luck,

Whimsey

I think the problem here is that after all the discussion and effort that went into "I need a synthetic oil" 5w20, he still hasn't gotten one. Again, I'm not here to say the XL7500 line is bad, it is what it is with a hefty pricetag.

The 5w20 oils on the market all contain a pretty hefty dose of Group III in order to meet Ford's specs for this grade of oil.

For the price (at least what I've seen the XL7500 priced at), I'd much rather stick with motorcraft or other brand of 5w20, IMHO.

quote:

For the price (at least what I've seen the XL7500 priced at), I'd much rather stick with motorcraft or other brand of 5w20, IMHO.

I totally agree. Motorcraft, Pennzoil or Mobil 1 0w-20 are easy to find and as good or better IMO.

1. 5,000 mile intervals

2. I'm driving the car in "city conditions" (short trips, traffic, etc).

3. Money is not an issue.

4. I'd like to be warranty compliant, but I've heard from *Many* Ford mechanics that I should stick with 5W20, because the clearances are so tight in the newer engines (01 and up) that a 30 weight oil might not flow as easily. I've personally checked at Six different dealership and spoken with six different Ford Master Techs. on this issue.

My Ford dealer, due to the fact that he is a family friend, will not viod warranty, but The car was "engineered" for the 5W20 viscocity. I have not been able to find a "True" synthetic oil in the S.F. Bay Area, so without going with a XW30 oil, I've decided to go with the Amsoil XL7500 line.

From what I understand from fellow Mustang and Lightning drivers, Amsoil is a excellent quality oil that supercedes the performance of Motorcraft in extended interval applications. Plus, it's API approved for use in my vehicle, unlike Red Line.

About the clearance issues with newer Ford trucks and cars, I know that the 00 and older Ford vehicles with the exact same engines called for 5W30 viscocity: my father has a 97 Lariat (4.6L) that calls for that viscocity. With 5W20, I would hardly think that Ford (Backing their vehicles with 100,000 mile warranties would recommend or suggest an oil that is detrimental to their engines. On that note, I am comfortable using the Amsoil. I assume that it has been tried and proven on these vehicles.

I also think that given the city driving, Amsoil will give me better high temp. and sludge protection.

I'd still like all your imput.

Thanks again.

-Matt

[ July 21, 2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

USE Mobil 1 0w-20. If Ford puts Amsoil 5w-20 in, great, go with that. But if your doing it, M1 0w-20 should be a better oil.

Mf, since your car is "brandy" new I assume you're going to change your oil at about 500 miles and then maybe at 2,000 mile odometer reading and finally at 5,000 mile odometer reading. This is to get the manufacturing "crud" out. Since the change intervals are short when doing this why don't you just have the dealer use the Motorcraft 5W-20 and @ the 5,000 mile odometer oil change have an UOA done on the Motorcraft 5W-20 oil to see how it held up for the 3,000 miles of use. At this point in time you can see whether the oil is good for a longer drain interval in the future. You might be surprised by the longevity of the Motorcraft 5W-20. If not, you can change to the Amsoil 5W-20 for the 5,000 mile OCI's. Which are the max you can go while under warranty.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back