Cam-2 Motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched and searched and haven't been able to find Cam-2 Synthetic oil anywhere. I used their 5W-20 for the past 19 years in my Lincoln Town Car which now has 155,000 miles on it. Over those years I changed both oil and filter every 8000 to 12,000 miles using only the highest rated filter I could find. To date, that excellent 4.6 liter engine hasn't used a drop of oil. A few extra nickles and dimes don't mean a thing to me when I consider the investment an automobile represents~!
I always kept a couple of cases around, and now that I need more I can't find it anywhere.
Let me tell you a story about a 1965 Dodge Polara I bought new way back when. Everyone said that Chrysler's 383 had a 'soft' crankshaft, and that heavier oil should be used. I worked for Atlantic Refining at the time and our best oil was called "Imperial". Being a loyal employee I used that brand in 5W-20 weight, AND I used it year round. (I like the oil to flow the instant my engine turns over regardless of the season). That engine was wonderful, never used a drop of oil, and gave me 17.5 mpg.
Since I can't find any Cam-2, I've been thinking about changing to Mobil 1 in 0W-? weight. Good idea? Bad idea? Your comments please~!

Sick with what got you to 155K.
Go with a 5W20 (or 30) in an appropriately specified oil from any one of the major brands.
M1 is fine.

The good news is that Cam2 oils are still available. I've seen them on eBay, and one of my local Napa stores in NC carries it, only by the case. I'm still using a Cam2 stash from three years ago. Now they are in Vicksburg, MS, and along with Smitty's Supply in Louisiana, they are defendants in mucho litigation, which is not encouraging news. Google the Cam 2 company and contact the distributor they list in MS, which I believe is Davison Oil or Davison Fuel to find a local source for you. The Cam2 Synavex full synthetic should still be available for you. Can you recall the 1970's when Cam2 was a Pennsylvania brand endorsed by auto racing legend Mark Donahue?

Last edited:
Cam2 is an unremarkable brand, with nothing bad nor exceptional. Some have verifiable API licenses but that's about it. A few have "recommendations" for various manufacturer approvals.

Cam2 has many of their oils API SP approved… 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 in their Superpromax synthetic blend version, and in their 75 Protect High mileage versions, and their Full synthetic Synavex line up too.

Cam2 0w20 and 5w30 are Dexos Gen 3 approved as welll.

Now when it comes to the European approvals I agree with you that is where you see “ recommended “ a whole, whole lot.

I've searched and searched and haven't been able to find Cam-2 Synthetic oil anywhere. I used their 5W-20 for the past 19 years in my Lincoln Town Car which now has 155,000 miles on it. Over those years I changed both oil and filter every 8000 to 12,000 miles using only the highest rated filter I could find. To date, that excellent 4.6 liter engine hasn't used a drop of oil. A few extra nickles and dimes don't mean a thing to me when I consider the investment an automobile represents~!
I always kept a couple of cases around, and now that I need more I can't find it anywhere.
Let me tell you a story about a 1965 Dodge Polara I bought new way back when. Everyone said that Chrysler's 383 had a 'soft' crankshaft, and that heavier oil should be used. I worked for Atlantic Refining at the time and our best oil was called "Imperial". Being a loyal employee I used that brand in 5W-20 weight, AND I used it year round. (I like the oil to flow the instant my engine turns over regardless of the season). That engine was wonderful, never used a drop of oil, and gave me 17.5 mpg.
Since I can't find any Cam-2, I've been thinking about changing to Mobil 1 in 0W-? weight. Good idea? Bad idea? Your comments please~!

Like Nomanbuntz said you can possibly find it Napa Auto parts stores near you.

The Napa in my area in Windsor sells Cam2 by the case and individual quarts and they move a lot of it.

I have Cam2 in my 2012 Honda and it runs nice and quiet on it. My Nissan Altima VQ had Cam2 in it for the last 100,000 miles I had it. That car still ran great motor wise at 365,000 miles.

Cam2 has many of their oils API SP approved… 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 in their Superpromax synthetic blend version, and in their 75 Protect High mileage versions, and their Full synthetic Synavex line up too.

Cam2 0w20 and 5w30 are Dexos Gen 3 approved as welll.

Now when it comes to the European approvals I agree with you that is where you see “ recommended “ a whole, whole lot.
Agreed :)

There really wouldn't be any quality drop-off, should a blender like Warren suddenly bow-out and both CAM2 and Amalie jumped aboard to keep store shelves stocked at places like Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back