Need a Substitute for Castrol 5w-30LL

I'm all for using oil that meets fancy specs even when the car in question doesn't require it. If the price is the same or almost the same to other oils with less approvals, then why not, right? Surely can't be worse. Currently using M1 ESP 5w30 in the Tucson. The PP Euro L suggested above also seems like a good choice. Quaker State has an equivalent oil which has the same approvals as the Pennzoil version, except for the lack of dexos2.
Clearly the price isn’t the same. That’s why op made this thread lol

People are wasteful, doesn’t mean you should blindly follow the herd. But you guys seem to know more than the engineers so…..
I didn't ask for an argument on why i use it. I simply asked for a replacement of what I use now. How i use it and on what equipment is irrelevant.

The price was reasonable and comparable before, now it has doubled and the availability has dropped.

I didn't ask for an argument on why i use it. I simply asked for a replacement of what I use now. How i use it and on what equipment is irrelevant.
Not arguing one bit. You’re complaining about price on oil that’s way over specd for your vehicle. The best replacement is what the enginers that designed it spec for it (you put your trust in them when you purchased it, why are you doubting them now)?

This 504/507 is getting tough to find at a decent price.
This is on the VW approval list and you could get 10L plus free shipping for a few $$ more than your old brews 5 quarts.
I bought some for my VW.

Clearly the price isn’t the same. That’s why op made this thread lol

Not arguing one bit. You’re complaining about price on oil that’s way over specd for your vehicle. The best replacement is what the enginers that designed it spec for it (you put your trust in them when you purchased it, why are you doubting them now)?
Again, The price was reasonable and comparable before, now it has doubled and the availability has dropped. Its the oil I wish to use. Its called choice. The engineers design an engine with planned lifetime. I want to try and exceed that.. If everyone went 'by the manufacturer', there wouldn't be any reason for this site, now would there? So either you have a suggestion on oil or you don't. Questioning my use or choice of brand is not what this post was asking.

Again, why does he need those approvals? Hyundai requires vw spec? Lol
I believe he is looking for a more robust oil option due to the dilution issues and possibly trying to remain within warranty guidelines. The manual I read appeared to allow an A5 or API Starburst Oil, If I am misremembering and it only requires the Donut I apologize. I would not think LL or ESP would qualify. Are they not A3 non-starburst? I liked it a lot better when they allowed 5W-40 as it opened up more options.

Again, The price was reasonable and comparable before, now it has doubled and the availability has dropped. Its the oil I wish to use. Its called choice. The engineers design an engine with planned lifetime. I want to try and exceed that.. If everyone went 'by the manufacturer', there wouldn't be any reason for this site, now would there? So either you have a suggestion on oil or you don't. Questioning my use or choice of brand is not what this post was asking.
My advice is to use what meets the spec. I’m not giving you an exact brand because as long as it meets spec it’s up to the task. This is coming from the actual labs that test oil and trend data.

Planned lifetime, lol. The ideas that are on here….if that were really a thing how would manufacturers make a name for themselves? Like you think the engineers are get around a table and devise ways (like under spec-ing an oil so that the vehicle grenades at 100k) 😂

I believe he is looking for a more robust oil option due to the dilution issues and possibly trying to remain within warranty guidelines. The manual I read appeared to allow an A5 or API Starburst Oil, If I am misremembering and it only requires the Donut I apologize. I would not think LL or ESP would qualify. Are they not A3 non-starburst? I liked it a lot better when they allowed 5W-40 as it opened up more options.
That’s fine. A5 and API sn/sp are met by countless oils, even syn blend.

If those fords were dying prematurely, we would all hear about “subpar specs.” Where is your automotive engineering degree from?
Yes. Onto the personal nitpicking. I take it you have nothing else to add?

My claim is of EB’s being hard on oil is backed by UOA’s so there’s no reason not to give them special treatment IMO such as an oil with a D1G2 spec. 3-5k on a full synthetic is really all you should do. You’re free to do your own research.

Ford originally spec’d a 5w20 for the EB until upping the viscosity to a 5w30 because of fuel dilution. This is a fact.

Yes. Onto the personal nitpicking. I take it you have nothing else to add?

My claim is of EB’s being hard on oil is backed by UOA’s so there’s no reason not to give them special treatment IMO such as an oil with a D1G2 spec. 3-5k on a full synthetic is really all you should do. You’re free to do your own research.

Ford originally spec’d a 5w20 for the EB until upping the viscosity to a 5w30 because of fuel dilution. This is a fact.
Yup, and the 5w30 is still a syn blend with the same certs. It’s not like they went up in specs. Your point is moot

My advice is to use what meets the spec. I’m not giving you an exact brand because as long as it meets spec it’s up to the task. This is coming from the actual labs that test oil and trend data.

Planned lifetime, lol. The ideas that are on here….if that were really a thing how would manufacturers make a name for themselves? Like you think the engineers are get around a table and devise ways (like under spec-ing an oil so that the vehicle grenades at 100k) 😂
Think about it… planned obsolescence. How else would a company survive? Is that “idea” such a hard concept to follow? if it weren’t, we’d have no reason to buy new vehicles. Vehicles are built with a specific lifetime of use. Just like most everything else we buy. It’s economics 101. Most of us here are on this forum to discuss ways of getting past this and extending the service lives if our equipment. If you don’t understand this concept then I would suggest you simply stick with the oil at the local EZ Mart gas-n-go, and drive on. the rest of us here will continue to do our research and settle on what suits us.

Think about it… planned obsolescence. How else would a company survive? Is that “idea” such a hard concept to follow? if it weren’t, we’d have no reason to buy new vehicles. Vehicles are built with a specific lifetime of use. Just like most everything else we buy. It’s economics 101. Most of us here are on this forum to discuss ways of getting past this and extending the service lives if our equipment. If you don’t understand this concept then I would suggest you simply stick with the oil at the local EZ Mart gas-n-go, and drive on. the rest of us here will continue to do our research and settle on what suits us.
Well said.

Thank you.

Pretty sure if that were the case, much more than the engine would be affected.

They’re all out to get us guys!

I have run Dexos approved oil in my Nissan Altima VQ. Why ?

Because it's a tougher specification than basic API or ILSAC.

Hey man.

Hope you are doing good.

Ahh about maybe 10-20 percent of that 320,000 miles have been API and ILSAc basic oils ....

Vast majority has been Dexos approved oils.

This 504/507 is getting tough to find at a decent price.
This is on the VW approval list and you could get 10L plus free shipping for a few $$ more than your old brews 5 quarts.
I bought some for my VW.

Very interesting, never heard of it. Maybe I'll pick up an oil change's worth and try it.

If it's on the list, it's on the list.

Back