Need a reccomendation for a conventional MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
My trans calls for a GL4 or GL5 75-90. It is a Toyota 4wd 5 speed. I am not looking to use a synthetic at this time for this specific transmission.

What choices do I have in quality conventional oils? And does anyone make a conventional GL4 75-90 because I haven't seen any?

Thanks

I would resort to using synthetic (Castrol Syntec, Q-state full-syn, Vavoline full-syn, etc.) 75W90 if I were you, citing the benefits of high heat stability on syn oil base, oxidation qualities and a few other benefits where most non-syn based MT gear oil tends to fall behind.

(*I've used full-syn mortarmeister gold bottle 75W90 as well as Q-state/Syntec 75W90 before in my 323 m/T before with great satisfaction*)

Q.

I have been running DELO esi gear lube in my 2006 Toy p/u it shifts good. The Redline MT90 ot the 75w80 as tom slick mentioned works great. I used either visc in my 92 Toy which I wish I owned but it got hit and was totaled. I

Pennzoil makes a 80W-90 GL4 that is available in quarts. If you can find a Shell/Pennzoil distributor close to you they probably stock it.

GEARPLUS® SAE 80W-90 GL-4

A Specialty Gear Oil For Applications Requiring GL-4 Performance

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
PENNZOIL® GEARPLUS® SAE 80W-90 GL-4 GEAR LUBRICANT is specially formulated to meet the unique
requirements of API GL-4 service in manual transmissions and transaxles of passenger cars, light trucks and SUV’s.
PENNZOIL® GEARPLUS® SAE 80W-90 GL-4 GEAR LUBRICANT is blended from select base stocks and additives
that yield a lubricant of exacting quality. This product is compounded utilizing specialized extreme pressure chemistry
that provides protection of gears and bearings without being corrosive to bronze components. It contains foam
suppressants to prevent wear, which can be caused by lubricant foaming and aeration. Effective rust and corrosion
inhibitors protect metal surfaces from the effects of water contamination from condensation and the operating
environment. PENNZOIL® GEARPLUS® SAE 80W-90 GL-4 GEAR LUBRICANT resists the formation of varnish
deposits on synchronizer components, thus assuring long, trouble-free operation.

PENNZOIL® GEARPLUS® SAE 80W-90 GL-4 gives the full protection of an SAE 90 under hard driving conditions
while providing the flow characteristics of SAE 80W that are necessary during cold weather start-ups. This offers
maximum lubrication and gear protection over a wide temperature range.

APPLICATION
PENNZOIL® GEARPLUS® SAE 80W-90 GL-4 GEAR LUBRICANT is designed for manual transmissions and transaxles
of both American and import vehicles. It is formulated to be compatible with “yellow metals”, such as bronze, found in
synchronizers and other transmission componenets.

BENEFITS
• Meets the performance requirements of API GL-4 Service
• Will not cause glazing of synchronizer components
• Excellent thermal stability
• Outstanding extreme pressure and antiwear protection
• Prevents rust and corrosion
• Inhibits foaming and aeration

TYPICAL PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
PENNZOIL® GEARPLUS® SAE 80W-90 GL-4

TEST METHOD TYPICAL RESULTS

SAE Grade 80W-90
API Service GL-4
Gravity, °API ASTM D-287 27
Flash Point, °C(°F) ASTM D-92 210(410)
Viscosity ASTM D-2161 & D-445
@210°F, SUS 76
@100°F, SUS 737
@ 40°C, cSt 159
@l00°C, cSt 14.5
Viscosity Index ASTM D-2270 93
Color ASTM D-1500 5.5
Pour Point, °C(°F) ASTM D-97 -26(-15)
Low Temperature Viscosity, cP @ °C ASTM D-2983 Material Number
12/1 Quart 21176
35 Pound Plastic Pail 4804
120 Pound Drum 4805
400 Pond Drum 4806

I read that you wold not prefer a synthetic, but you would get a superior product in the trans.
Modern synthetic trans lubes are not that much more expensive than dinos, and are the only way to go, IMO.

75w90 usually forces the weight to be a synth, or at least a blend. So, you'll need a 80w90, 85w90, or straight 90wt.

You can try your local marine supply house. They usually will stock some mineral GL4 gear oils that are 90wt.

And, if Toyota requires a 75w90, you are stuck with a synthetic gear oil.

If you don't have 'cold weather', you should have no problem with the 85w90 or 80w90 from Stalube or Pennzoil.

Quote:
A Specialty Gear Oil

Don't let Mori see this, he will want an exact definition of "Specialty" with the proper adjectives.
LOL.gif
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back