Need a price check on BMW wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
From KBB. The problem with is it's atypical ride, with much repairs done.
Maybe for a plain jane auto, KBB would be valid.
Not sure how to value all these repairs but surely they must be reflected in the price somehow? Do you think pricing it at 'excellent condition' would be too much?

Condition Value
===================
Excellent $5,435
Good $4,910
Fair $4,285

Last edited:
This is a funny exercise in "vehicular (self) esteem".

I've dumped my running, old american beaters for, say, $800 when their KBB is around $1500. Not even needing work except cosmetics.

Try and pry some Japanese nameplate or this beemer from its current owner using logic, and they hover above KBB, or they use KBB's "excellent" appraisal instead of fair or good. This self-perpetuates the resale value discrepancy.

5-series wagon/touring is kinda rare it's no 508, Z8, Alpina turbo, etc. KBB's prices should reflect market prices, unlike my 1988 Mazda 323GTX...

aside from the replacement tranny most those "repairs" are just maintenence for a BMW of that vintage. but the tranny probably cost $3k to replace.
when does a serpentine/fan belt last past 100k? those early water pumps liked to fail and pitch the fan into the radiator, likely changed to the newer part. the plastic/aluminum radiator starts leaking at the seams. swaybar endlinks is odd but maybe there's lotsa potholes out there? door seal is weird, driver kept stepping on it and ripped it? O2 sensors should have lasted longer. valve cover gaskets gave out kinda quick too.

fwiw, mom's E39 530i gets 24mpg @ 80mph on a VERY hilly commute

Originally Posted By: pacem

Not sure how to value all these repairs but surely they must be reflected in the price somehow?

To be honest, pretty much every 528i of that vintage/mileage would have had to have these repairs/maintenance done to still be in running condition, either preventatively or as a result of actual part failure, so don't think that just because the guy listed them all makes it somehow worth more.

This is basically what it takes to keep these cars running, and you have to be prepared to be doing the same once you take ownership.

Looks like the owner has babied the car (maybe a secret BITOG-er) so it probably commands 'very good" to "excellent" condition in Edmunds pricing for private party sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back