Need a price check on BMW wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a hard time visualizing a price for this 1999 5-series BMW wagon (528i)

It is 10+ years old and the miles at 118K miles but looks like he did a lot of work to it.

What would be a 'good price' for it? He had it on craigslist for a while now, doesn't seem to get the asking price. On Ebay, they seem to go for under $5K in that vintage/miles but don't seem to have as much maintenance done to them.

I had a late 80's 3-series that was a total "money" pit. It had tons of work done to it and something new was breaking all the time. I do understand that 1999 should be more reliable.

Quote:

Asking $6000 1999 528iT Wagon Automatic transmission Black with Tan Leather interior 118K Miles Cold weather package-heated seats, mirrors and locks. This has been a great car for my family, handles like a sedan, but great baby and dog hauler, enough room for my 115# black labs. Has everything you expect from a BMW- Power windows, power locks, leather interior, with heated seats, moonroof, digital dual climate control with ice cold A/C and great heat with rear vents and temp control for backseat passengers, keyless entry with a real alarm system, and many more features.

I am the third owner and have done much of the extensive BMW maintenace so this car should be good for the new owner for quite some time. Car is in good mechanical shape will try to do a run down of the recent and big dollars items:

-Oil is always changed every 4-5K with full synthetic and OEM Oil Filter,
-Transmission was replaced with a New OEM at 75K in 2006,
-Entire cooling system-radiator, expansion tank, water pump etc at 80K in 2007.
-Front Brakes including New Brembo Rotors and PBR Deluxe pads 85K in 2007
-Rear Brakes including New Brembo Rotors, PBR Deluxe pads, and all new EBrake shoes and Hardware as well as a complete Brake system flush with ATE Superblue 85K in 2007
-New Sway Bar links 85K in 2007
-New Driver Door Gasket Seal 85K in 2007
-New Front O2 Sensors 88K in 2007
-New NGK Spark Plugs 88K in 2007
-4 New Tires Michelin Pilot Exalto 90K Late 2007
-4 Wheel Alignment At Northwest BMW directly after tires installed
-Valve Cover Gasket Replaced 92K Early 2008
-Idler Pulleys and Belts replaced 100K 2009
-Water Pump Replaced, Cooling system flushed 115K Late 2009

Always on top of maintenance I am sure there is more I am forgetting, Air Filter, Cabin filters are changed every year and I clean the Maf/Mas with the correct cleaner every year. Car runs great the 2.8L inline 6 Cylinder makes plenty of power and still and gets 25 MPG in the hellish 695 commute. It’s a great car but its lived its entire life in the Baltimore/Washington Corridor so its has it shares of door dings, and bumper nicks, its still looks good but its defiantly not the cleanest E39 Touring out there-hence the price. Now onto a few bad things It also has a check engine light that comes and goes it’s a EWS code, it in no way effects the car and it comes and goes on its own-its been off for awhile but I know as soon as someone comes to see the car it will come back on. Also the radio in this continual cold has stopped working-I narrowed it down to a problem with the amp. Been a great baby and dog hauler but I am trying to keep my car collection down and think its time for something new. Feel free to contact me if your seriously interested and have cash in hand, this is not a must sell or hard times sale, my price is fair especially considering all the costly maintenance is done. I have a clean and clear title in hand.

Last edited:
My question would be why a new transmission and raditor so early?
Something previous owner did? Red flag.... Seen that type car for under $3000 too...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
and raditor so early?

These cars are notorious for cooling system failures. So, as a preventative maintenance, most people overhaul the cooling system (incl. radiator) at 80K miles or sooner on those model years.

I'll probably get it done on mine next year.

Originally Posted By: pacem
I do understand that 1999 should be more reliable.

Yeah, don't hold your breath on this. Mine is an '02 and it is a money pit as well, with half the miles this wagon has. If you want a reliable car, look elsewhere. I'm not saying it's 100% guaranteed that this BMW will be a trouble child, but statistically the odd are against you.

As for the price, I would pay more for a well-cared for unit. If a going price is $5k and he wants $6k, I'd try to meet him in the middle.

Looks like he may be a BMW enthusiast based on the parts list. Go check it out and see the vehcile for yourself.

Remember, you are buying a 11 year old BMW. Save some money for future repairs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I do understand that 1999 should be more reliable.

Yeah, don't hold your breath on this. Mine is an '02 and it is a money pit as well, with half the miles this wagon has. If you want a reliable car, look elsewhere. I'm not saying it's 100% guaranteed that this BMW will be a trouble child, but statistically the odd are against you.

As for the price, I would pay more for a well-cared for unit. If a going price is $5k and he wants $6k, I'd try to meet him in the middle.

What went wrong on your 530? I thought 02 should be much more reliable than older models.

How much was the sticker price for 528i in 99? I thought it was close to 40K?

What went wrong on your 530? I thought 02 should be much more reliable than older models.

Too many things to list. A lot of electrical stuff went bad (passenger occupancy sensor, dead pixels in dash display and radio, passenger seat electric adjustment controls - for the second time now, HVAC blower control unit), plus various leaks: coolant leak, engine oil leak from the dry-rotted valve cover gasket, power steering leak, and recently engine oil leak from the rear main seal which I have yet to fix.

Quote:

How much was the sticker price for 528i in 99? I thought it was close to 40K?

Yeah, it was around $41K.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
My expansion tank cracked thanks to a faulty thermostst. Messy....

Oh yeah, I had my thermostat replaced too at around 40k miles because it was acting up.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss

Remember, you are buying a 11 year old BMW. Save some money for future repairs.

Yeah, seriously, don't expect miracles. Any old car will need some work.

As for the "money pit" subject, you can do a lot of preventative maintenance to keep it trouble free, but if that's costing you a lot of time and money, then it's still a money pit.

As an example, cooling system overhaul can cost you close to $2k, and most people will tell you to have it done every 60K miles to prevent the possibility of engine overheating.

Wasn't Pablo trying to sell an old 200k+ miles volvo wagon? Potential buyers didn't care about the amsoil etc and he could barely get $1500 for it.

I'd show up if interested with, max, $4500 in cash. Flash it, leave your number. Remember a car that old can't be financed through a bank, and few hobbyists will want to part with that kind of money in this economy. I say hobbyist because this would be odd to own as a primary/only vehicle.

Running costs aren't that bad if you can do some of the simpe stuff yourself and farm the rest out to a good BMW indie shop. Case in point: The most that I ever spent on one service visit occurred when I put off changing a noisy idler pulley on my wife's 128K 1997 528i; my procrastination was rewarded by the pulley bearing disintegrating and taking out both belts and the fan shroud. I decided to let my independent BMW tech handle the repairs. While he had the car we decided to replace the radiator, the water pump, and the remaining idler pulley as a precaution. My tech also found and replaced a bad tie rod and had the car aligned. The total repair cost?
$1161.

He says he got a lot of $5K offers and thinks it's worth more than that -- well, in my experience, you can sink a lot of FRNs into a car and never get it out during a sale. You are lucky if you get 50 cents per buck spent on repairs. I have a feeling he sunk a lot of FRNs into fixing it and now is trying to recover it.

However I think his repairs hit upon the sore spots of the E39 platform, the cooling system for example being a disaster, especially in late 90's 3 and 5-series.

I think I would be comfortable offering him $5K, but for 6K, there is a lot of other stuff on the market of that vintage, maybe with lower miles.

He had it on CL and other forums for weeks if not months - no bites at 6K.

I feel silly haggling over extra 800-1000 bucks on a car that was 35K+ sticker price but I have a feeling this ride is on the threshhold of falling apart, as soon as I buy it, it will need constant and major and expensive repairs. Well, probably not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Running costs aren't that bad if you can do some of the simpe stuff yourself and farm the rest out to a good BMW indie shop.

When I buy a used car I assume the current/previous owner is getting work done at a shop and paying for same.

If the car needs repairs, I dock what it would cost to do at a shop off the "perfect" price. Never mind the surprise hidden problems that only appear when I get it home.

If the current owner whines that "the part is only $60", well, too bad. Put it in yourself. I'm going to come out ahead by doing my own work.

If he claims to have plenty of offers at $5k flash the cash and say well here's another one, you have my number. Or say you were going to offer $4500 and that he should probably ring up Mr. 5k because it seems like a good deal. Don't feel "silly" making offers, it's a business transaction. If you try to "win" every deal you come across you're going to pay too much for a whole lot of stuff.

I said, can you document all the repairs?

He says he got years of experience in auto industry and did all the work himself. So he just got receipts for parts.

I'd find a good indie BMW tech and have it inspected; just because the seller can work on one or more brands doesn't mean he knows Bimmers and how to fix them properly.

Definitely before buying take it to an indie BMW shop. As part of the inspection have them scan for any stored codes. These cars have diagnostics for everything (upon purchase of my '99 528iT it had a stored code for steering wheel jammed). The cooling system overhaul is SOP for these cars, so that is a positive. Another "issue" with that year/model is with the vanos seals (variable valve/cam timing) - the original seal material was unsuitable and performance slowly drops by 50K miles. I replaced the seals with improved ones and got a nice boost in low end torque. Failure to replace the seals doesn't cause any damage, though.

The E39 forums at Bimmerfest can provide a wealth of info too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back