Need a new ratchet/tool set

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Looks good. Of course the 9/16" wrench is your 14mm wrench.

Is that socket looking thing at the top an adapter from 1/4" square drive to 1/4" hex? If not what do you drive the hex bits with?

Please keep up updated as you use the set.
Yes it is

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Ignore the guys who will invariably tell you to buy Snap On or equivalent instead.

Maybe there's a compromise in the mix. I'm happy to use Craftsman sockets (import, via Canadian market) but I'd like a good ratchet. It seems worthwhile IMO to get something good: Snap On, Proto, MAC, Hazet (Trav I know you're reading..) et al.

I like to get my best bang for my buck, and I think this ratchet set will do great.

I know how great fancy tools can be, my dad has thousands of dollars in Mac, Matco, and Snap-On tools but they're what he makes a living with everyday doing automotive collision repair. They aren't showcased and gorgeous, they're beaten and abused daily.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Ignore the guys who will invariably tell you to buy Snap On or equivalent instead.

Maybe there's a compromise in the mix. I'm happy to use Craftsman sockets (import, via Canadian market) but I'd like a good ratchet. It seems worthwhile IMO to get something good: Snap On, Proto, MAC, Hazet (Trav I know you're reading..) et al.

A good ratchet is one that just isn’t well made and high quality steel but it has to "feel right" to you. Snap-On, Hazet, Stahlwille, etc are all great but not everyone is going to like the feel and action of them.
I don’t care for Snap On, it just doesn’t feel as good to me as some others, nothing against the quality.

I still use some ratchets i bought 30 years ago and still like using them. try using a few that friends have, look at them in the store and try to get a feel for it, you will soon get an idea what you like and don’t like.
Invest in a good one and it will outlive many sockets and you will have it a long time.

49.gif

@AutoMechanic just fyi, while I still use this kit, it sucks. Sockets are too small and the ratchets slip out of gear.

For the price it's ok for someone who doesn't wrench often and needs it in a pinch.
Yeah I figured. I’ve used my brother-in-laws Stanley stuff their sockets I consider semi deep instead of deep. Which do have their place but not always. And their ratchets are no good. I like Capri ratchets I was using my Crapsman today and the thing kept slipping almost busted my knuckles several times. And I’ve had it for about a year and the Craftsman isn’t my main 1/4 I just used it because it’s the one I have at home. I’m looking for something to keep in my beetle I’m probably just going to piece something together from the pawn shop at least I could get somewhat decent stuff there like Craftsman USA, SK and Gearwrench and stuff.

Yeah I figured. I’ve used my brother-in-laws Stanley stuff their sockets I consider semi deep instead of deep. Which do have their place but not always. And their ratchets are no good. I like Capri ratchets I was using my Crapsman today and the thing kept slipping almost busted my knuckles several times. And I’ve had it for about a year and the Craftsman isn’t my main 1/4 I just used it because it’s the one I have at home. I’m looking for something to keep in my beetle I’m probably just going to piece something together from the pawn shop at least I could get somewhat decent stuff there like Craftsman USA, SK and Gearwrench and stuff.
@AutoMechanic you mentioned that your 1/4 Craftsman slips. I had two of these models that did this and returned for replacement. New ones were no different, but is an easy fix if you have a few min to disassemble. The problem is that the spring is a little too weak but it can be easily stretched to make it work better. I actually like these "repaired" Craftsmans better than my Snap On 1/4 - they work great and I prefer the handle shape.

This is also a good time to clean the whole thing out and apply Super Lube. See this vid for stretching the spring...the vid is kinda slow going but easy to follow.

@AutoMechanic you mentioned that your 1/4 Craftsman slips. I had two of these models that did this and returned for replacement. New ones were no different, but is an easy fix if you have a few min to disassemble. The problem is that the spring is a little too weak but it can be easily stretched to make it work better. I actually like these "repaired" Craftsmans better than my Snap On 1/4 - they work great and I prefer the handle shape.

This is also a good time to clean the whole thing out and apply Super Lube. See this vid for stretching the spring...the vid is kinda slow going but easy to follow.

Yes and I’m disappointed too because the ratchet hasn’t even been used a whole lot. It’s a Chinese one and it’s not a raised panel but I’m sure that this will help it. I need to pick up some Super Lube for my vintage toolbox too so I’m going to get some soon and hopefully that will fix it.

Yes and I’m disappointed too because the ratchet hasn’t even been used a whole lot. It’s a Chinese one and it’s not a raised panel but I’m sure that this will help it. I need to pick up some Super Lube for my vintage toolbox too so I’m going to get some soon and hopefully that will fix it.
The newer craftsman stuff is just sad. I have some older ratchets and there is no comparison.

Yes it is one of the odd kind of ones from Sears I bought when they closed. This is the one it is. It really sucks.

View attachment 46739
Mine are the raised panel type and seem to work fine. I haven't had the misfortune to use one like yours and hopefully I never do! Of course you could do as @Jetronic suggests and use it to clean a carpet. Or use it as a hammer. Or see how far you can throw it into the woods; maybe an archeologist will find it 1,000 years from now!

Mine are the raised panel type and seem to work fine. I haven't had the misfortune to use one like yours and hopefully I never do! Of course you could do as @Jetronic suggests and use it to clean a carpet. Or use it as a hammer. Or see how far you can throw it into the woods; maybe an archeologist will find it 1,000 years from now!
The raised panel hurt my hands after awhile lol I never use them by choice. I have a customer who only allows Craftsman to be used on his car so I have to use them when he is at my shop getting work done.

Seriously? What a ****! I can't imagine telling a mechanic what brand of tool to use.
Yeah and my boss is a stickler about customer service so we follow every command the customer says like we have the same guy who doesn’t allow power or air tools to be used on his car either because his son can’t get the bolts broken loose lol.

I don't work in , or own a shop, but I'd send that fool to another shop.
Yeah my boss won’t run anyone off lol. It’s like he wanted me to use a Craftsman breaker bar for his lug nuts and I didn’t have one and I’ll be darned if he didn’t pull one out of his trunk lol. He has all the tools and won’t do work on his own. Fortunately I’ve got lots of Craftsman stuff. I usually won’t work on his stuff for that reason I make an excuse to do something when he shows up because I don’t have time to put up with it lol.

Yeah my boss won’t run anyone off lol. It’s like he wanted me to use a Craftsman breaker bar for his lug nuts and I didn’t have one and I’ll be darned if he didn’t pull one out of his trunk lol. He has all the tools and won’t do work on his own. Fortunately I’ve got lots of Craftsman stuff. I usually won’t work on his stuff for that reason I make an excuse to do something when he shows up because I don’t have time to put up with it lol.
Does that joker own stock in Craftsman or something, that he is trying to force everyone to use them? I'm still baffled by this bizarre behavior...

Does that joker own stock in Craftsman or something, that he is trying to force everyone to use them? I'm still baffled by this bizarre behavior...
I have no idea. There is a reason I try to avoid working on his stuff if possible lol. Yet he doesn’t want power or air tools used on his car and says his son can’t break the bolts loose lol.

Back