Need a new ratchet/tool set

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I'm looking into buying a new ratchet/ tool set. I currently have a Stanley Mechanics tool set that i've had for 10 years now and it has been fantastic and has been beaten hard its life. Stanley sent me new 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets last year under their lifetime warranty, all I did was email them and ask and they were mailed to me quickly. The old ones still work but were starting to slip out of gear every once in a while. They had been rained on many times and left in the sun too, I can't complain. I like the portability of the plastic case the Stanley set came in but it has fallen apart after all these years and I've lost lots of wrenches and sockets.

Stanley currently has a 201 piece set that Amazon and Walmart sell for $59, it doesn't sound like it can get any better than that.

Is there any other sets I should consider? I'd like to stay under $100 since I know I can get a decent Stanley set for $59 I thought it would be worth a shot to see what else is out there. I have lots and lots of other Craftsman wrenches and sockets.

The set must be 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" ratchets with sockets and have wrenches.

Thanks, here's the Stanley set.

Stanley Tool Set

Here's a list of what it has in it

1/4" Drive Pear Head Ratchet
1/4" Drive 3" Extension Bar
1/4" Drive Sockets (6pt):
SAE:5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2
MM: 4, 4.5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
1/4" Drive Deep Sockets (6pt):
SAE:5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2
MM: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
3/8" Drive Pear Head Ratchet
3/8" Drive 3" Extension Bar
3/8" Drive Sockets (6pt):
SAE: 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 13/16
MM: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
3/8" Drive Deep Sockets (6pt):
SAE: 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8
MM: 10, 12, 14
3/8" Drive Spark Plug Socket (6pt) - 5/8"
1/2" Drive Pear Head Ratchet
1/2" Drive Sockets (6pt):
MM: 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Combination Wrenches:
SAE: 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16
MM: 8, 9, 10, 12
1/4" Drive Spinner Handle
1/4" Drive Bit Adapter
1/4" Drive Specialty Bits (55pc)
17 Nut Bits:
SAE:5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16
MM: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
28 Hex Keys

Grab it! Equivalent Chinese Crescent or Craftsman would be minimum $125 at Costco or Sears respectively. Also this Stanley is 6-pt and the Crescent probably is 12-pt.

Ignore the guys who will invariably tell you to buy Snap On or equivalent instead.

Quote:
1/2" Drive Pear Head Ratchet
1/2" Drive Sockets (6pt):
MM: 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

It would have been nice to have more and bigger 1/2 sockets in the set aka at least 19 and 21 but if you need them, buy them separately.

I am highly impressed with the 1/4 and 3/8 range of this set
1/4 goes from 4 all the way to 14
3/8 has no skip.
This is very rare in these type of sets.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Grab it! Equivalent Chinese Crescent or Craftsman would be minimum $125 at Costco or Sears respectively. Also this Stanley is 6-pt and the Crescent probably is 12-pt.

Ignore the guys who will invariably tell you to buy Snap On or equivalent instead.

+1

I won't complain about the COO because the price is right, I'm just a bit cautious because some of the older Stanley sets were made in Taiwan and the new one is from China. Not sure where your old set was made. Just saying, whenever you have a change in COO there's a chance the quality is not the same.

Can't beat that level of support, especially given the price! Good reviews on the GJ forum. Amazon reviews are great. I'm trying to find a reason to steer you away from Chinese made tools but can't find one beyond idealogical reasons. $60 that's a heck of a value.

At that price, go for it.

I bought my Craftsman 165 piece (?) set for about $45 around Thanksgiving a few years ago. Normally priced $150. It works great and I always have what I need. Doesnt sound like you can wait for holiday/ deal time though. Lol.

My only comment would be, the Lowes Kobalt stuff carries a lifetime hassle free warranty, where you just bring it to Lowes and they replace it, no questions asked.

I would hate to break something in this set, and have to send it to Stanley to get it replaced. Shipping/time, and aggravation of dealing with someone on the phone.

It was actually on sale for $99 last weekend, but has since gone back to the normal price of $169. Maybe it will go back down again.

For the price of this though, it would be hard to go wrong!

Local Lowes no longer has any insane deals any more. By the way, if you don't care for the 1/2 drive set, which is really useless as it does not carry large sockets. The black stanley with less pieces is of better quality at the same price. Heck, my professional mechanic used that set to make his living!

Last edited:
If you are just looking for a ratchet to compliment your kit harbor has their new Pittsburgh pro lines. They are really nice for what they are

Otherwise look for Williams tools on amazon. They have a 3/8 set that goes for around $40. Williams makes and relabels their ratchets and sockets for snap on and snap on sells them as their blue point. I have both ratchets and they are entirely interchangible

Yeah it's too bad the 1/2" socket set doesn't go bigger, my old set goes up to 21mm and I believe 7/8"

I think I'm gonna scoop this up, thanks guys

Sounds like a good deal for the money. I would recommend checking out the Pittsburgh Pro line from Harbor Freight as well. They're good quality for the money. Even if it's just to add a long flex head ratchet to the Stanley set they are worth a look.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Sounds like a good deal for the money. I would recommend checking out the Pittsburgh Pro line from Harbor Freight as well. They're good quality for the money. Even if it's just to add a long flex head ratchet to the Stanley set they are worth a look.
Yeah I'll add a flex head to the set, they come in handy.

Its a good price if the tools meet your needs. I have some original Stanley sockets i bought in 1975 that are still going strong and were Made in the USA.
I doubt these are the same tools sold today, today they are probably branded Proto.

Got my toolset today, ordered it on Amazon for $59.99 with free shipping. Seems the same quality as my 10 year old set except my old Stanley set had chrome, really nice wrenches. These are pretty cheap wrenches and only go up to 12mm & 9/16" but I have lots of other tools so I can use those too, I just wanted a new portable set.

2rnka6b.jpg

Looks good. Of course the 9/16" wrench is your 14mm wrench.

Is that socket looking thing at the top an adapter from 1/4" square drive to 1/4" hex? If not what do you drive the hex bits with?

Please keep up updated as you use the set.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Maybe there's a compromise in the mix. I'm happy to use Craftsman sockets (import, via Canadian market) but I'd like a good ratchet. It seems worthwhile IMO to get something good: Snap On, Proto, MAC, Hazet (Trav I know you're reading..) et al.

Back