Need a New Push Mower

Evening folks! While most of my lawn can be done by my Cub rider, I still have some spots infront of my lawns that are push mower only. My hand me down Weed-Eater brand with the 3.5HP Briggs is on its last legs. The engine is lacking in power and the rear wheels are starting to look like one of those ricer "Hella Stance" cars. I'm looking for a self-propelled mulching mower. I'm not completely engine/mower brand partial, but I've been looking hard at the Honda HRN, but can't completely make up my mind. My budget is right around $400 to spend. I typically spend 10 minutes with the push, but I want something that cuts better so I can possibly do my small front lawn. The riding mower makes it look uneven while the push makes it look good, but not being self propelled and me being lazy is some serious effort. What you folks have or recommend?

I paid 399 for my Honda GCV 160 (or GVC) . Don’t remember the model number. It’s the one with the 21 inch blade. Rock solid and very maneuverable.

Are you pulling the mower backwards much? If so, only Toro offers a mower that is self propelled going forward and backwards.
Very simple how ir works. It's like a 4WD mower, except when you pull the personal pace bar back, it puts the rear drive in neutral
and engages the front wheels to spin backwards.

Definitely a mower to consider for anyone, or someone older.

If you want a mower that leaves the best cut look i.e., mulches the best, get a Honda with their twin blade cutting system or a Toro Super Recycler. I have a Toro Super Recycler and it mulches the grass exceptionally, it leaves NO grass clumps behind so the finished cut is very good. My neighbor has a Honda with the twin blades and I'd rate it 90% as good as the super recycler in terms of mulching. Both are good choices.

Two of my sons bought the Ryobi push mower that is electric. Quiet and cuts very well. Mows a lot on a single charge.

Toro and Yard Force are what we have for push mowers. I advise getting Briggs and Stratton engine as we had to keep fixing the Kohler engine on the Toro so after 5 uses we returned and got a different model with the Briggs and Stratton and so far problem free and easier to get parts for when it does break.

If you’re just using it to clean up what your rider can’t get to then I would strongly consider going electric. I have a Honda HRX217HYA and it’s a great mower but I’ll be replacing it with an electric mower at some point so that I don’t have to keep maintaining it and my rider.

Budget?

Toro Recycler 21 or 22" self propelled from HomeDepot..... They have them in gas or electric... with/without various options at a pretty good price
This

I bought a Toro self-propelled with B&S engine and it's been good so far (3 years).

My last mower had a Honda engine, and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for a Honda engine anymore.

If your "scrub cadet" is cutting uneven, check to see if either blade is bent. May be a good time to sharpen or just replace both at the beginning of the season. Also check the deck level per Cub's instructions. Happy mowing!

My budget is $400. I still want a gas, I haven't jumped on the electric bandwagon yet. Not putting them down, just not for me. The reason I need a push/self propelled is both yards I do out front there is an area of flat and it just drops off to almost a 45° angle. You have to have a push style mower. Weed-eating it is not an option as it does not look even enough for me. Another reason for the self-propelled is my front yard is a bit small and has 1 tree, and 1 stump to mow around. The 46" deck on my Cub is a little bit too big and cumbersome. I've almost went off that 45° a couple times. Looking like the Toro and Honda seem to be the contenders at the moment. I'll have to see both in person here shortly. Thanks for all the replies so far!

I will say we haven’t had good luck with the Honda mowers or engines in the past either. So we avoid them. But that was also the past. So it maybe better now not sure.

My budget is $400. I still want a gas, I haven't jumped on the electric bandwagon yet. Not putting them down, just not for me. The reason I need a push/self propelled is both yards I do out front there is an area of flat and it just drops off to almost a 45° angle. You have to have a push style mower. Weed-eating it is not an option as it does not look even enough for me. Another reason for the self-propelled is my front yard is a bit small and has 1 tree, and 1 stump to mow around. The 46" deck on my Cub is a little bit too big and cumbersome. I've almost went off that 45° a couple times. Looking like the Toro and Honda seem to be the contenders at the moment. I'll have to see both in person here shortly. Thanks for all the replies so far!

My last Honda mower lasted 25 years. If you can stretch your budget just a little, Lowes has the Honda HRN216VKAA for $419.

Back