Need a creative way to keep people from driving through my yard

hedge, doesn't have to be solid or a combination of hedge/rocks/etc. we once used some small granite posts i salvaged from an old mill site to mark a boundary.

Rocks or a short (1.5 or 2 foot) decorative border fence around the garden. My preference would be for larger decorative rocks.

Seems like large decorative rock are a popular answer. I've never considered this but where would be a good place to get them?

You could purchase or fabricate a raised sprinkler system. It's what I have.

maxresdefault.jpg

The least expensive thing would be a sign, "Please don't drive on the grass". If it don't work you aren't out much and can move on to rocks or flowers etc....
I would start with that, and put the sign at the start of where people drive onto the property, so they drive on the neighbor's property.

If they disregard and run over the sign, escalate pettiness. There are lots of Reddit ProRevenge stories on this that you can listen to for inspiration.

I would start with that, and put the sign at the start of where people drive onto the property, so they drive on the neighbor's property.

If they disregard and run over the sign, escalate pettiness. There are lots of Reddit ProRevenge stories on this that you can listen to for inspiration.
Signs are against HOA rules 🤦 our HOA is kind of a dictatorship of sorts.

So we have an HOA. A rather screwed up and corrupt one but anyhow I have joined the board and am trying to make changes. That being said my property buts up to a lake access where anyone can use it to put a boat in or fish ect. Before I lived here my family was here my grandparents owned it since 1972. My family always maintained the property ect. I laid down some new gravel over where gravel has always been since I'm allowed to use it as a parking area. That's been the agreement since we cut it and maintain it. For a long time it was closed as a boat launch but now it's kind of free game. Well I came out today to find someone had drove about 15 foot into my yard so they could turn around. The neighbors boat is on the public access but the board doesn't seem to want to make him move it since he is a big wig and doesn't live here full time. His boat makes it harder for people to turn around and while it makes no sense to me to drive all the way to the lake folks insist on doing so.
There are 3 boat launches in our subdivision and they aren't highly trafficked. So I'd like a way to keep people from driving in my yard. Can't be a fence since they won't allow lake side fencing and no fencing over 4ft so needs to be something creative that will serve the purpose without looking like a fence or wall or structure. Past my porch on the right side is where they drive through so if I could do something to deter that from porch to lake that would be great. Probably about 50 foot or so.
His boat is circled in red I used that picture to show that guys boat is on access property but they still don't seem to care. I don't either really until it's causing a crowded situation where people are driving next to my porch and yard . The tree with the arrow pointed at it is my property line. The neighbors property line is about at the big tree on the left side of the picture (most forward one). Anyway give me some ingenious ideas. Thanks everyone!View attachment 57561View attachment 57562
send a damage assesment to the HOA, if they won't do their part in preventing damage they will have to pay for repairs

Signs are against HOA rules 🤦 our HOA is kind of a dictatorship of sorts.
lay a spiked strip of lumber across the starting point of where people drive onto your property. turn that into a beginnings of a flower garden.

It's probably a HOA board member that is doing it, knowing that HOA rules is preventing people from posting signs.

How about a few 2x4's with nails sticking straight up out of them? Put them out sometime when the grass is high enough to hide them. They might drive on your lawn once but I bet they'll think about it before doing it again.

Last edited:
Get some big round barrel planters and put flowers in them. If they're 3 feet wide, make them 5 feet apart so a car can't fit by, so each one provides 8' of protection.

BD32B618-F0F9-4A90-9791-31DC48DE6C06.jpeg

Seems like large decorative rock are a popular answer. I've never considered this but where would be a good place to get them?
Any dirt yard or commercial gardening center has them.
The large planter idea would work as well. Not as obvious as the rocks, but still as effective, and some may say prettier, but do require upkeep.

Maybe a combination of the two?

So we have an HOA. A rather screwed up and corrupt one but anyhow I have joined the board and am trying to make changes. That being said my property buts up to a lake access where anyone can use it to put a boat in or fish ect. Before I lived here my family was here my grandparents owned it since 1972. My family always maintained the property ect. I laid down some new gravel over where gravel has always been since I'm allowed to use it as a parking area. That's been the agreement since we cut it and maintain it. For a long time it was closed as a boat launch but now it's kind of free game. Well I came out today to find someone had drove about 15 foot into my yard so they could turn around. The neighbors boat is on the public access but the board doesn't seem to want to make him move it since he is a big wig and doesn't live here full time. His boat makes it harder for people to turn around and while it makes no sense to me to drive all the way to the lake folks insist on doing so.
There are 3 boat launches in our subdivision and they aren't highly trafficked. So I'd like a way to keep people from driving in my yard. Can't be a fence since they won't allow lake side fencing and no fencing over 4ft so needs to be something creative that will serve the purpose without looking like a fence or wall or structure. Past my porch on the right side is where they drive through so if I could do something to deter that from porch to lake that would be great. Probably about 50 foot or so.
His boat is circled in red I used that picture to show that guys boat is on access property but they still don't seem to care. I don't either really until it's causing a crowded situation where people are driving next to my porch and yard . The tree with the arrow pointed at it is my property line. The neighbors property line is about at the big tree on the left side of the picture (most forward one). Anyway give me some ingenious ideas. Thanks everyone!View attachment 57561View attachment 57562
A buddy had a similar situation going with ONE arrogant guy who would not even respect him enough to discuss it. Well my friend was at the end of his rope and was even threatend with bodily harm by this big oaf. So after he bent over backwards to allow the guy some extra room between their properties, didn't matter. The arrogant jerk kept taking advantage (give an inch they take the mile) and was constantly driving his truck and boat further and further on friends property, messing up things and cutting ruts in his lawn. He had to do something once the guy flipped and cursed him when he had tried to talk / work it out. A young lady across the street offered him a wonderful idea that solved the issue. Wish I had a photo. He hired some guys to cement short posts , leaving about 18"to 24" sticking up above ground. They used about 2 1/2" diameter posts standing right on his property line. They then welded some good heavy galvanized chain hanging so neatly going from post to post. Very well made and sturdy (looks like they belong there). Then the jerk had to struggle so hard to pull in and out he decided to start to launch his boat on the other side of the neighborhood. If only he had attempted to work things out politley. Best part is after all the bickering and bad feeings etc... He packed up and moved and sold the house. Best favor he could ever do to my friend.

Back