Nearing CVT Fluid Changes

2017 Corolla and Forester nearing 60k. Owner's manual for the Forester says every 25k if you tow, otherwise "inspect." Corolla manual says replace at 60k. Both will be getting an exchange. One dealer says, yes, do it at 60-90k, another doesn't recommend until 120-150 if ever. I don't get how dealers can be so different. The 120-150 dealer said they could do a drain and fill if I really wanted it but won't do a machine fluid exchange of all the fluid. The other dealer service advisor said they'll only do a fluid exchange with a machine and if I want a pan drop and filter it's a little extra. Independent mechanic uses a machine and pan drop with new filter for the same price as the exchange at the one dealer. The dealer with the drain and fill charges the same as the one doing the full exchange. Unbelievable how dealers are so different for the same cars.

2017 Corolla and Forester nearing 60k. Owner's manual for the Forester says every 25k if you tow, otherwise "inspect." Corolla manual says replace at 60k. Both will be getting an exchange. One dealer says, yes, do it at 60-90k, another doesn't recommend until 120-150 if ever. I don't get how dealers can be so different. The 120-150 dealer said they could do a drain and fill if I really wanted it but won't do a machine fluid exchange of all the fluid. The other dealer service advisor said they'll only do a fluid exchange with a machine and if I want a pan drop and filter it's a little extra. Independent mechanic uses a machine and pan drop with new filter for the same price as the exchange at the one dealer. The dealer with the drain and fill charges the same as the one doing the full exchange. Unbelievable how dealers are so different for the same cars.
The 120-150dealer probably doesn't have the machine or someone proficient in it.
Go with the dealer 60-90 it seems to know better what to do.

The 120-150dealer probably doesn't have the machine or someone proficient in it.
Go with the dealer 60-90 it seems to know better what to do.

Yeah, I've had decent luck with the independent shop on an older Subaru, too. They're $70 cheaper. Plus cheaper on the plugs and differential fluid change and brake fluid flush. So, in general, I'd save hundreds overall.

Just me... If the vehicle has a drain bolt like mine.... Diy.

One possibility is Eneos CVT fluid. JK Nippon from Japan makes Eneos lubricants. I'd bet good money that JK Nippon is the OEM fluid supplier to Japanese vehicles.

Just me... If the vehicle has a drain bolt like mine.... Diy.

One possibility is Eneos CVT fluid. JK Nippon from Japan makes Eneos lubricants. I'd bet good money that JK Nippon is the OEM fluid supplier to Japanese vehicles.
I want it all out and a new filter. For $250, at the independent, seems like a pretty good deal given the price of the fluid.

A couple of drain and refills... Get you the same.

And with the magic machine... It still mixes with old fluid in there. Nothing wrong with that at all. But it does certainly do that. Just like there's always old oil left in a motor too.

At $12.49 a quart... Do that say 3 times 5 qts. $180.

I have 339,000+ miles on my Nissan Altima VQ with the CVT.

I did the first drain and refill at 283,500 miles. Did 3 in the period of 6,500 miles.

I'd rather have CVT fluid from a bottle and not a large drum. Maybe the machine does have that ability to use quart sized containers. I would rather have cleaner fluid from a qt or 5 quart container. And... Who knows what CVT fluid in is that drum? ?

With a CVT... I'd want to know exactly what fluid is going into it.

A couple of drain and refills... Get you the same.

And with the magic machine... It still mixes with old fluid in there. Nothing wrong with that at all. But it does certainly do that. Just like there's always old oil left in a motor too.

At $12.49 a quart... Do that say 3 times 5 qts. $180.

I have 339,000+ miles on my Nissan Altima VQ with the CVT.

I did the first drain and refill at 283,500 miles. Did 3 in the period of 6,500 miles.

I'd rather have CVT fluid from a bottle and not a large drum. Maybe the machine does have that ability to use quart sized containers. I would rather have cleaner fluid from a qt or 5 quart container. And... Who knows what CVT fluid in is that drum? ?

With a CVT... I'd want to know exactly what fluid is going into it.
Quote says Subaru CVT Oil for Lineartronic---Premium grade. They used Pentofrost for coolant in my old Subaru and the service advisor explained to me without me asking it's a coolant that works well in Subarus. I believe in the differential of the old one they used Valvoline synthetic which, again, I'm fine with.

No need to pan drop either of those transmissions, as both have a drain plug :)

Both require a scan tool to take the temperature of the fluid, but only the Subaru actually needs it. You can probably change the Corolla's fluid by doing it cold and measuring what you took out and refill with the same amount, but you can't do that with the Forester.

Any mechanic/shop will have a scan tool that takes transmission temperature because all the expensive ones have it. Some mid-to-high-end DIY-grade scanners have it ($200 brand new for the cheapest one that can do it), but you know a shop has something more advanced than that.

There is never a need to machine flush any transmission. The regular drain and fill is sufficient. If you really want to change more than a regular drain can do, simply do the regular drain procedure in multiple successions, 3-4x.

No need to pan drop either of those transmissions, as both have a drain plug :)

Both require a scan tool to take the temperature of the fluid, but only the Subaru actually needs it. You can probably change the Corolla's fluid by doing it cold and measuring what you took out and refill with the same amount, but you can't do that with the Forester.

Any mechanic/shop will have a scan tool that takes transmission temperature because all the expensive ones have it. Some mid-to-high-end DIY-grade scanners have it ($200 brand new for the cheapest one that can do it), but you know a shop has something more advanced than that.

There is never a need to machine flush any transmission. The regular drain and fill is sufficient. If you really want to change more than a regular drain can do, simply do the regular drain procedure in multiple successions, 3-4x.
So even though it only gets about (less than?) half the fluid out a drain and fill is going to last another 60k?

So even though it only gets about (less than?) half the fluid out a drain and fill is going to last another 60k?

Or.... Just do 3 drain and refills in say 6-7 thousand miles. Easy.

Though really nothing wrong with going the route you are thinking of either.

Just me though I would prefer the fluid be from smaller containers vs a large drum. And maybe that could be done with a fluid exchange machine.

Or.... Just do 3 drain and refills in say 6-7 thousand miles. Easy.

Though really nothing wrong with going the route you are thinking of either.

Just me though I would prefer the fluid be from smaller containers vs a large drum. And maybe that could be done with a fluid exchange machine.
[/Quote

Part of the dilemma is renting my home and lease saying no oil changes or car work. I have a relative a couple hours a way I've done some oil changes at, but they're about an hour from a parts store or Subaru dealer, so even the thought of stripping a oil drain bolt and having to deal with that hassle gives me anxiety. But I've done enough oil changes in my life to be confident. I mean, I've replaced an exhaust cam, but right now $250 is a lot easier for me. Once we buy a house, if we can ever save enough to not pay $2000+/mth, I'll do more of this stuff on my own.

correct

Any transmission fluid interval quoted by the manufacturer is for the standard drain and fill that only gets that much out. For example, if 60k is the mfr-spec interval, then yes, that is enough for 60k :)

If you still don't like that, you could always do it every 30k instead of 60k, for example.

Most people never change the transmission fluid, and most cars arrive at the junkyard on their factory fill :sneaky:

Somehow my reply got stuck inside your quote 🤷‍♂️

Ahh your good man.

I understand where you are at with everything.

Makes sense.

Just another option was all I was thinking about.

I'm glad you are getting either Valvoline or Eneos cvt fluid.

If the filter is serviceable then please replace it. It only gonna help prolong the life of the CVT Transmission

The indy said the Subaru is a screen that could be cleaned or replaced, depending on the mechanic's view of its condition. On YouTube, the Corolla has one that can be replaced if you drop the pan.

I'm taking every precaution I can on my '16 Versa with CVT too. I'm doing 30K mile fluid change intervals and plan to change both the pan filter and the external cartridge filter for the valve body. It only has 28,xxx miles at present but I already have fluid and filters bought just waiting. Unsure of just how much fluid I'll need for a drain fill but I figure I can do it myself for $50-100 since I was able to buy Nissan NS-3 fluid on eBay for about $12.50 a quart by buying 10 quarts at a time and both filters bought from Rock Auto cost about $14. Once the extended warranty pertaining to the class action suit ends at 7yr. or 84K miles I'll likely use an aftermarket fluid. If you know the quality work of the independent mechanic and are happy with it I see no reason not to use him if you're not doing it yourself.

Back