Near head-on yesterday at an intersection

wwillson

Staff member
My wife and I were in our Durango yesterday traveling west at about 45 MPH. Someone decided to turn right in front of us and the car in the left lane next to us. There is no way he didn't see both cars coming at him. He must have grossly miscalculated how close we were and his window to turn. I pushed the brakes to the floor and the anti-locks were chattering like mad. Makes you wonder what people are thinking. We live on and the Durango lives on.

This stuff happens so quick. Great reflexes!
My wife thinks I'm a bit off when I quietly talk to myself as I come up on an intersection. I say, "don't do it" as I'm watching the intersection. I've read and believe it keeps you attentive to the happenings around you. I'll tell you for sure it worked this time! Had I hit the brakes 1/10th of a second later I would have hit him hard.

Glad that nobody was hurt.

Four of the last five accidents I have personally witnessed were all at intersections or with one vehicle trying to turn across oncoming traffic.

I have formed the habit of slowing down a tad as I enter intersections. I read about that in drivers ed back in the day, and still do it. Gives me a split second longer to see what is there.

Glad that nobody was hurt.

Four of the last five accidents I have personally witnessed were all at intersections or with one vehicle trying to turn across oncoming traffic.

I have formed the habit of slowing down a tad as I enter intersections. I read about that in drivers ed back in the day, and still do it. Gives me a split second longer to see what is there.
These kinds of posts help the rest of us to remember the basics..
I'm talking not only the original post but paulri's comment too. I think sometimes after driving for many years, we, as drivers kind of go on "auto pilot".. Going through the motions.. I'm glad there was this post, going to remember it and slow down a little at intersections! thanks!

My wife thinks I'm a bit off when I quietly talk to myself as I come up on an intersection. I say, "don't do it" as I'm watching the intersection. I've read and believe it keeps you attentive to the happenings around you. I'll tell you for sure it worked this time! Had I hit the brakes 1/10th of a second later I would have hit him hard.
glad you're ok! I do the same thing talking to myself.. Keeps me more engaged with the situation.

And you're not alone, I was at a light, waiting to make a right turn, there was a no turn on red. There were no other cars around in the thru lanes or left turn lane. After the red light was on for about 4-5 seconds, this minivan went FLYING through the red light! In a 45mph zone he was doing about 65! Drunk? Who knows.. it was like 130pm!

The stuff that's going on lately, is crazy..

In BC new drivers have an N sticker on the back of their vehicles so we know who they are. Most of them put the N on sideways so it looks like a Z but we still know what that sticker means. New drivers wear that N (or Z) for 2 years during which they have certain additional restrictions (zero tolerance for drugs or alcohol, and only 1 passenger allowed).

Vehicles passing me at a pretty good clip (when I'm already going pretty fast) often display a N or Z on them.

My daughter was rear ended while stopped by a young man with an N sticker. He had only 2 weeks to go before he could take the N off, but that accident meant it was "back to square one".

Wouldn't surprise me if that was a new driver - lots of confidence and no experience.

I was expecting to see a Jimmy John's or Domino's light on the roof.

I’m glad no one was tailgating you when you slammed on the brakes too.
This is something I really worry about, not trying to toot my own horn here but I have pretty fast reactions and not because my reflexes are faster but because like the OP I'm constant talking to myself and paying attention to everything around me trying to anticipate.

In 2011 I was t-boned and it changed the way I drive.

I know a woman from work and husband on his Harley was killed when an elderly driver misjudged the distance and turned in front of him.

This is something I really worry about, not trying to toot my own horn here but I have pretty fast reactions and not because my reflexes are faster but because like the OP I'm constant talking to myself and paying attention to everything around me trying to anticipate.

In 2011 I was t-boned and it changed the way I drive.
I have to admit I have a tendency to “follow too closely” to some people going slower than I wish.

But this kinda is a wake up call for me. I can’t always see what’s happening in front of the car ahead of me, and if I was “following too closely” to wwillson when he slammed on the brakes, it could have been a bad day.

No one cares anymore.Everyone is in THIER way and they will do as they please. Roads are worst they have ever been.Left of red ,stop signs mean nothing ,passing on solid lines you name it oh and tail gating is the new game now too. Oh and i forgot ,new cars and trucks DONT come with working turn signals either.Must be an option these days

That jackwagon nearly went SIDEWAYS after he turned in front of you, Wayne-he (or she) knew exactly what they were doing. This is happening more & more here in the Nasty 'Nati, they know NO ONE is watching. Dash cam is becoming mandatory.

I've been in 2 accidents where someone pulled out in front of me so I get paranoid now. One of them was exactly like your situation but we actually hit. It was an old man in his 80s and luckily we were both fine. The second one was leaving a gas station and gunned it right out in front of me at the last second. I didn't even have time to hit the brakes, it happened so fast. It totaled our Altima and the person that pulled out in front of us gunned it again and took off. A good citizen followed her until her engine shut off a few miles away and the cops got her. She was charged with hit and run, open container, blood alcohol >3x the legal limit, and was driving on a suspended license from a previous DUI charge.

I'm very paranoid now. Even when someone is stopped waiting to turn into traffic, I watch them like a hawk and have my foot halfway to the brake just in case. I don't trust anyone on the road anymore.

My wife and I were in our Durango yesterday traveling west at about 45 MPH. Someone decided to turn right in front of us and the car in the left lane next to us. There is no way he didn't see both cars coming at him. He must have grossly miscalculated how close we were and his window to turn. I pushed the brakes to the floor and the anti-locks were chattering like mad. Makes you wonder what people are thinking. We live on and the Durango lives on.

I'm glad you were able to take evasive maneuver and be okay, @wwillson .

Back