Natural Gas Regulator

I'm in the process of getting my portable 13kw portable generator ready for use. The Gas Meter has been sized by the gas company; however, they don't get to the appliance side and I can't seem to get anyone to actually show up..

This is the requirement:
1718848012363.jpg

Is there someone here that knows this stuff well enough to know if this is a suitable regulator?

I'm in the process of getting my portable 13kw portable generator ready for use. The Gas Meter has been sized by the gas company; however, they don't get to the appliance side and I can't seem to get anyone to actually show up..

This is the requirement:
View attachment 225971

Is there someone here that knows this stuff well enough to know if this is a suitable regulator?
What is the pressure in the supply line? Unless you have 2 pound gas like we do then you may not need a regulator. What they are calling for is typical residential gas line pressure. You just have to make sure that the supply line is a sufficient size.

Our standby generator requires 14” pressure or something like that so we do have a regulator but the supply line pressure is in the house is 2 PSI.

Most gas utilities set the regulator at the inlet of the meter set to 7 inches water column. BTW One pound of pressure is 28 inches WC, Anything above 7" would require special permission. Gas is sold at a known pressure and corrected to a certain temp. Propane is delivered at around 9 to 11 inches WC. Most nat gas appliances have regulators set to 3.5" WC

This is the requirement:
View attachment 225971

You only need regulator for LP gas, natural gas has regulator at meter. Just hook gas supply to generator.
My generator will run on LP or Natural. There is a setting inside generator cabinet you turn to the gas your using. Consult your owners manual for your particular generator.

Be certain that the gas supply line to your generator is sized adequately. Also if you have a 2lb gas system in your home you will need a regulator to reduce the pressure to no greater than 9" under full load. IF IN DOUBT HAVE A PROFESSIONAL LOOK THINGS OVER.

In my locale, PSC requires we provide you 4" wc, our company policy is to provide 7" wc under full demand
You are residential?
Do you have a low pressure or high pressure service from your gas company?
Your service line to the meter is regulated before the meter, 7-9" wc is all you should be getting at the output of the meter, individual appliance regulators/gas valves bring it down at the appliance to what each individual appliance demands

If this all becomes a little confusing, please I beg of you contact a licensed gas fitter before you light it off
I'm getting tired of going into peoples basements and seeing green garden hose clamped to CSST running across the floor to a boiler ☠️

Edit: I saw your picture, you have a HP service to your premises, what's the meter setup look like?

You only need regulator for LP gas, natural gas has regulator at meter. Just hook gas supply to generator.
My generator will run on LP or Natural. There is a setting inside generator cabinet you turn to the gas your using. Consult your owners manual for your particular generator.
This is incorrect. Do not post about things where you don't know what you're talking about. The generator must not be connected to a 2lb supply.

This is the requirement:
View attachment 225971

That regulator is essentially what we have on our generator although the outlet pressure needs to be checked and possibly adjusted after installation. I bought a manometer to do this.

Also that regulator may not be certified for indoor installation like some smaller ones are, so it may need to be located outdoors. The literature for the device will say how it can be installed. The one for our generator is outside whereas the 1/2" ones for the dryer, stove, furnace, water heater and gas grill are all inside (and mounted horizontal as required).

Gas work should never be done by a novice. It is dangerous and can lead to fatal outcomes. There are no safteys there. IMOP regulators and CSST should be sold only to licensed professionals.

That regulator is essentially what we have on our generator although the outlet pressure needs to be checked and possibly adjusted after installation. I bought a manometer to do this.

Also that regulator may not be certified for indoor installation like some smaller ones are, so it may need to be located outdoors. The literature for the device will say how it can be installed. The one for our generator is outside whereas the 1/2" ones for the dryer, stove, furnace, water heater and gas grill are all inside (and mounted horizontal as required).
All outside:
1718941252829.jpg

1718941280487.jpg

I've never seen two regulators inline after the outlet of a meter
I'm gonna discuss this with senior mechanics at my gas company, I've seen nothing like this in my region 😲

So they're stepping down to 12" wc after the meter, then regulating down again before the Rinnai tankless

We just give you 7"-9" wc at the outlet of the meter, and that's it 🤔

Please consult a licensed gas fitter that's familiar with your local setup and regulations
Or just casually mention to your gas provider on the phone that if they don't show up, you'll be notifying the Public Service Commission
Watch, they'll suddenly have someone available to come out 🙄

I've never seen two regulators inline after the outlet of a meter
I'm gonna discuss this with senior mechanics at my gas company, I've seen nothing like this in my region 😲

So they're stepping down to 12" wc after the meter, then regulating down again before the Rinnai tankless

We just give you 7"-9" wc at the outlet of the meter, and that's it 🤔

Please consult a licensed gas fitter that's familiar with your local setup and regulations
Or just casually mention to your gas provider on the phone that if they don't show up, you'll be notifying the Public Service Commission
Watch, they'll suddenly have someone available to come out 🙄
By delivering 12" WC you are able to send more BTU's through the system. The system could have been just slightly undersized to 7". Just a thought.

I am a licensed gas installer, I deal with this type of stuff all of the time and I think I have a pretty good handle on it.

Yes, you sometimes do need multiple gas regulators in series to get the proper gas pressure that the appliance needs. We can clearly see in the first picture from the first post that the regulator before the meter says 2psi on it. Then the 2nd regulator says 12" W.C.

If this generator truly can not handle 12" W.C., then you may very well need a 3rd regulator to bump it down again to 9" W.C., or you might be able to adjust the regulator that says 12" on it, which I'm guessing would work fine too.

If you do opt for a 3rd regulator, the 325-5 that you were considering will probably work, but it is really designed to have 2psi going into it, not 12" W.C. (2psi is equivalent to 55" W.C., so it is a pretty big difference). So if you do use the 325-5, pipe it into the tee before the regulator that says 12" W.C. on it for best results.

Or if you want to tap into your piping after that 12" regulator, a Maxitrol RV52 or RV53 with a blue spring in it would be a better choice. Here's the spec sheet that explains about these regulators if you need it... https://www.maxitrol.com/download/210/s-t-f-prod-page-en/7321/rv-stf-design-na-2.pdf

Whatever regulator you go with, be sure to properly protect the vent from getting rain and/or bugs in it. This is often overlooked. If it's going to be located outside, and it comes with a vent limiter (little brass thing with a BB inside of it), the vent limiter should be removed and replaced with a screened vent fitting, or a combination of nipples and elbows to point the vent opening downwards, or just remove the vent limiter and flip the regulator upside down. I just noticed that the little regulator before the water heater is installed wrong. It has the screened vent fitting, but it's sideways. To fix, I would get either a short nipple and an elbow (either brass or stainless) or just a street 90 to put in there before the blue plastic thing with a "M" on it. I'm pretty sure 1/8" is the size of fittings that you would need for that fix.

Back onto topic, like I mentioned before I think your existing 12" W.C. regulator should probably be able to work fine without another regulator, either how it is, or adjusted down slightly to 9" W.C.

Last edited:
Back