Natural gas pipe dope

So I have two (yes just two) threaded joints to re-dope on my gas heater. I don’t have any dedicated home use pipe dope but I do have permatex “high performance thread sealant.” I can’t see why this wouldn’t work well, maybe even better, compared to traditional pipe dope. Am I wrong?

Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant is formulated for fast, responsive curing on metal pipe threads and fittings. This sealant is a smooth, white paste-like compound with PTFE that controls lubricity to assist assembly and torque tightening. Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant replaces tape or pipe dopes. It cures rapidly to withstand 10,000 PSI within 24 hours. Prevents galling and protects mated threaded surfaces from rust and corrosion. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces.

"Recommended for sealing metal tapered pipe threads and fittings up to 5cm (2 inches) National Pipe Thread (NPT) for industrial applications in the chemical processing, petroleum refining, pulp/paper, waste treatment, textile, utilities/power generation, marine, automotive, industrial equipment, gas compression and distribution industries. It is also recommended for industrial plant fluid power systems"

While I normally use a non hardening pipe dope.. such as rectorseal t+2, no reason why that wont work.. you dont need to get it apart in the future?

Pipe dope for gas pipe isn't a sealing compound . It is for allowing the pipe to go in further . There is sealing gas pipe compounds used in industrial applications though . Very hard to break apart . Like loctite but much thicker .

So I have two (yes just two) threaded joints to re-dope on my gas heater. I don’t have any dedicated home use pipe dope but I do have permatex “high performance thread sealant.” I can’t see why this wouldn’t work well, maybe even better, compared to traditional pipe dope. Am I wrong?

Most fuel gas approved pipe compounds will state that somewhere on the container. One of the Permatex sealants hardens so much that it`s difficult to loosen a pipe joint when it`s set. have crushed pipe with the pipe wrenches trying to loosen them which renders them condemned.

For gas, even Rectorseal 5 works. T+2 and Oatey Great White provides mode lubricating action due to Teflon. I never use tape for gas joints.

Keep in mind, the taper of a NPT joint provides the seal. Pipe dope is to ensure no leaks.

Teflon tape is not recommended for gas applications anywhere because if a piece breaks off it can clog a gas valve.
This^^^ not recommended for any kind of compressed gas or air application. It can be a common problem on OTR trucks especially in air abs brake systems.

Some 20 years ago I had thread leaks inside because the original contractor did not tighten the joints. I had to take everything apart and redo. I used Permatex thread sealant on all the threaded joints before tightening and I have no leaks to this day. The gas company pressure tests every four years also.
I have had small leaks before using the correct teflon tape. You rarely see contractors use teflon tape.

Teflon tape is not recommended for gas applications anywhere because if a piece breaks off it can clog a gas valve.
True if the guy putting it on is a complete moron and uses thin white tape. Yellow has "for gas" right on the tape and if you leave the first thread bare its a none issue.

Get yourself a small brush in-cap bottle of hurcules megaloc.
03221752.jpg

For gas, even Rectorseal 5 works. T+2 and Oatey Great White provides mode lubricating action due to Teflon. I never use tape for gas joints.

Keep in mind, the taper of a NPT joint provides the seal. Pipe dope is to ensure no leaks.
My workplace pipe fitters seem to use both tape and dope on galvanized water lines. They say that the quality of today's china made pipes makes it more difficult to get leak free joints. I have found it more challenging too.

Some local codes prohibit tape for NG lines, even if the yellow version works.

Also, I noticed the OP's product states that it has to cure 24 hours before use. I would not use it. I think that the soft set products mentioned above are more forgiving and preferred by the pros.

Back