NASCAR’s Tony Stewart killed driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Maybe Tony was trying to spin the tires by gunning the throttle hoping to spray the guy with ditry..... but accidentally ran him over.

I think that's exactly what happened.

There an awful lot of armchair quarterbacks commenting on Youtube. I'd be willing to bet that none of them have ever even seen a real sprint car in person.

Kid gets out of his car wearing an almost all-black suit, at night, while cars with no headlights are still circulating. I'd say Tony Stewart didn't see him until the last second, if at all. IMO, the deceased made a poor choice, and it cost him his life.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The guy should have waited and clobbered Tony in the garage.

Maybe Tony was trying to spin the tires by gunning the throttle hoping to spray the guy with ditry..... but accidentally ran him over.

As a disclaimer, I have been a Smoke fan for years.

I think that is exactly what happened. Tony would never intentionally run someone over. I think he was trying to intimidate Ward and Ward was just too close to the car.

Also as bad as it sounds, either wait til after the race and slug Tony, or next time you race against him, dump him as payback.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
There an awful lot of armchair quarterbacks commenting on Youtube. I'd be willing to bet that none of them have ever even seen a real sprint car in person.

Kid gets out of his car wearing an almost all-black suit, at night, while cars with no headlights are still circulating. I'd say Tony Stewart didn't see him until the last second, if at all. IMO, the deceased made a poor choice, and it cost him his life.

Yep. Reading the comments just made me mad as most people have already convicted Stewart. Its a horrible situation that is getting even worse with people spouting off.

Tony Stewart is a hot headed idiot. I will give him that.

But the only way to steer those is with the gas. It's likely that hitting the gas to kick the rear end around was the only way to avoid hitting the kid ... if it was possible.

The whole thing could have been avoided by the kid just staying in the car.

Tony is a multimillionaire, he will need a team of top notch defense lawyers if he wants to avoid time behind bars, wrongful dead lawsuit, etc...

I know Tony didn't want to run this guy over and wanted to spray him with dirt embarrassing him even more. Sometimes Ego gets in the way of decision making. Tony will definitely have to answer some very difficult questions from the authorities / family members as to why he gunned his engine.

First part of your comment is fine. Except then you proceed to just do the exact same armchair qb-ing that you are criticized others for.

Here's the question. Forget the legal stuff that clouds your judgment. Assume nobody got hurt

Pretend its just about the race. Do you think the race officials should assign any penalty to tony? Or if they assigned a penalty would you be ok with it or be up in arms for accusing the kid for flopping.

I don't think his side is completely clean on this one and I would have expect thst the officials would say stuff that tony did wasnt exactly kosher.

Last edited:

Ok theres no lights but the track is lit. And regardless of that .....why was he not running down low on the track?

Originally Posted By: mcrn

Ok theres no lights but the track is lit. And regardless of that .....why was he not running down low on the track?

Why is an idiot running into traffic at night on a loose dirt surface? I personally dislike Tony Steward and always have. This Ward guy acted like an idiot and paid the price for acting like an idiot. Now his poor family is in mourning because of nothing more than stupidity.

Last edited:
I agree he made a stupid move and obviously if he would have stayed in the car he would still most likely be alive today. However it does not appear Tony is 100% innocent in this.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Murder????

Tony ran that guy into the wall on the previous lap, then runs him over during a yellow caution on the next lap due to the wreck....

Looks like murder to me. Charges are going to get filed.

I hope you never serve on a jury with such a distorted view of reality and the judicial system.

Too much adrenaline in that encounter to expect either one to act with a level head.

In 35 years of driving I can say I have acted rashly on a handful of occasion and have been acted on in a similar fashion, including having someone try to run me off the road on one occasion, and, on another, feigning trying to run me over.

This was walking home from school, not sprintcar.

Last edited:
No one is every 100% innocent involving accidents. Stewart has been cooperating with law enforcement thus I doubt there is any sinister motive in this incident. Some people have more testosterone than brains and endanger themselves and others. The "victim" was not innocent and endangered other drivers with his childish antics.

I agree that it is likely that Tony was just trying to spray the kid with some dirt, or has been suggested didn't see him until the last few seconds and hit the gas to try to steer away (as has been mentioned, the only way to steer those cars is with the gas, it isn't like the family minivan).

The 20 year old kid made a poor choice to get out of his car. He was wearing an all black suit and helmet on a poorly lit track and confronted a car with no headlights that was coming around a corner.

But something to add to this: no one has mentioned where the kid moved to on the track. If you watch the video, it is clear that he intentionally tried to get right in front of where Stewart was going. He didn't do that to other cars, thus the "other cars avoided him" argument is invalid. Right before he gets hit he jumps back a few feet. It isn't like he was just trying to position himself to yell something as Stewart was driving by, the kid wanted to get right in his way. He was WAY too far into the track.

The incident on the track looked like a racing thing. All of the stuff afterward was the result of some poor decisions by both Ward and Stewart, and had or will have tragic and unnecessary consequences for all involved.

stupid to run onto the track, but other cars avoided Kevin easily, looks like TS gunned engine and wanted to spook/scare Kevin by passing close to him and swerving close to him, but overdid it a bit.

From what I can see,, and in MY opinion, he revved engine and served on purpose, and intentionally. Could have EASILY avoided even getting close to Kevin, just like all others did. I don't think wanted to KILL him, but he clearly INTENDED to spook him and get close to him - VERY CLEAR that he didn't want to slow down or get out of his way like others easily did.

...and too much of a coincidence that it was exactly TS's car that hit him, at which Kevin was yelling at (due to the incident in previous lap, where TS made Kevin's car get off course, which is supposedly a normal move in racing, but which made Kevin pretty angry and made him run out onto the track.)

Best video I could find as far as PQ goes:

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-stewart-ran-over-opposing-driver-during-1618893708

And yes, TS should be charged.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
stupid to run onto the track, but other cars avoided Kevin easily, looks like TS gunned engine and wanted to spook/scare Kevin by passing close to him and swerving close to him, but overdid it a bit.

From what I can see,, and in MY opinion, he revved engine and served on purpose, and intentionally. Could have EASILY avoided even getting close to Kevin, just like all others did. I don't think wanted to KILL him, but he clearly INTENDED to spook him and get close to him - VERY CLEAR that he didn't want to slow down or get out of his way like others easily did.

...and too much of a coincidence that it was exactly TS's car that hit him, at which Kevin was yelling at (due to the incident in previous lap, where TS made Kevin's car get off course, which is supposedly a normal move in racing, but which made Kevin pretty angry and made him run out onto the track.)

Best video I could find as far as PQ goes:

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-stewart-ran-over-opposing-driver-during-1618893708

I agree! Which is why I posted this video on the first page!
smile.gif

Quote:

And yes, TS should be charged.

I'm sorry, suggesting a course of action based on conjecture and a cell phone video is irresponsible at best. Count the suppositions; it takes more than 1 hand.

Last edited:
BTW sprint cars like that will turn to the right, back moves left, when the throttle is blipped like Tony did. I bet he saw the kid at the last second, notice the other cars trying to avoid him, and instinct set in and he gunned it to spin the car out of the way.

Tony is a hot head, I have been a fan of his far long enough to know and acknowledge it. He would never do something like this, he will throw punches and helmets, but never hit someone with a car. He has too much to lose.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
BTW sprint cars like that will turn to the right, back moves left, when the throttle is blipped like Tony did. I bet he saw the kid at the last second, notice the other cars trying to avoid him, and instinct set in and he gunned it to spin the car out of the way.

Tony is a hot head, I have been a fan of his far long enough to know and acknowledge it. He would never do something like this, he will throw punches and helmets, but never hit someone with a car. He has too much to lose.
That's why I think he never meant to HIT the guy. I think he meant to spook / scare him out of the way, but overdid it, and ended up hitting him.

I find it VERY hard to believe he saw Kevin AT THE LAST SECOND.

Also, I don't think anyone can look into someone's mind and state they will never do such and such by being a 'fan', no matter how big of a fan one is. One doesn't/cannot know him intimately/personally by being a fan, IMO.

But what a pretty clear video shows, I think that can be safely used to illustrate what the guy DID do. (again, I agree that it's unlikely he meant to make contact, but very likely that he meant to get as close as he can and swerve by Kevin on purpose. He revs engine clearly BEFORE Kevin is hit.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back