Tony Stewart in NHRA 2022

Tony Stewart Racing will field two fulltime entries in 2022 – one in Top Fuel for nine-time event winner Leah Pruett and one in Funny Car for 39-time event winner Matt Hagan.

“When I retired from fulltime driving I said it wasn’t the end, but the beginning of a new chapter. This is proof of that,” said Stewart, who also co-owns Stewart-Haas Racing in the NASCAR Cup Series with Gene Haas.

“I appreciate all forms of racing and I’ve always been intrigued about drag racing and NHRA, in particular. Back in 2009 when Tony Schumacher and I were both representing the U.S. Army, I got to hang out with him and Don Schumacher at the U.S. Nationals. Tony ended up winning and after taking it all in, I was hooked.

“But it wasn’t until I met Leah and started going to races regularly, where I saw the strategy and the preparation firsthand, that I truly understood it.”

He's engaged to Leah Pritchett, (Pruett). I think that has a lot to do with it. She has a house here, and I've seen both of them in town a few times. As far as I know, they're not yet married.

He's engaged to Leah Pritchett, (Pruett). I think that has a lot to do with it. She has a house here, and I've seen both of them in town a few times. As far as I know, they're not yet married.
I think the wedding is coming up in a month or two.

Tony was not satisfied being just a team owner, and will be behind the wheel in another team's Top Alcohol car.

...NASCAR Hall of Famer Stewart, 51 – who runs his own NHRA team as well as co-owning a championship-winning NASCAR outfit with Gene Haas – is married to Top Fuel drag racing star Leah Pruett.

Stewart took part in two multi-day sessions at Frank Hawley’s Drag Racing School, as well as a handful of dragster tests over the last two years. He will make his debut behind the wheel in the Top Alcohol class during the NHRA Nevada Nationals from October 28-30 at ‘The Strip’ in Vegas.

“I’m excited and nervous at the same time,” Stewart said. “It’s definitely going to be a big learning curve, and to do it at a national event right out of the gate adds to the challenge...

“But it’s something I’ve really been wanting to do and I’ve been working toward this moment. I’m not taking it lightly. It’s a serious business and I’m going to be as prepared as possible when I get to Las Vegas.”

Stewart won’t drive for his own team this weekend, but will instead make his debut for McPhillips Racing in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series.

“The team I’m driving for, McPhillips Racing, has been awesome to work with,” Stewart said. “They felt like I was ready to compete. With their confidence, that’s given me the confidence and courage to try something new and take the leap.”

Back