NASCAR Richmond Cup race....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he did, so what? It is a team sport, and the advantage of having teammates is having them help you. But maybe I am just so used to team orders in F1 that this seems like nothing to me.

not knowing the crews voices...do they still have team channel radios?(they used to be able to talk to a few other cars/teams) or just to your own crew chief/spotters?

but not knowing the voices of the spotters/crew chief's, etc, just going on the words, of the "odd Comments", they sound like they would be meant for Truex, (has a broken wrist, right wrist in a cast.) or is that just "plausible Deniablity?

I Really hope it wasn't a code phrase, or an intentional spin, as i was really starting to like Bowyer....

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If he did, so what? It is a team sport, and the advantage of having teammates is having them help you. But maybe I am just so used to team orders in F1 that this seems like nothing to me.

There's a difference between team orders, and intentionally crashing to change the outcome of the race. If you follow F1, look at the Renault Crash Gate scandal.

I doubt that anybody will ever know for certain if it was intentional but if it was, that is a pretty [censored] thing to do. Nascar has really lost its way. I used to enjoy watching a few of the races a year and I just keep losing more and more interest.

Originally Posted By: whip

There's a difference between team orders, and intentionally crashing to change the outcome of the race. If you follow F1, look at the Renault Crash Gate scandal.

Crash Gate was [censored], but a simple slide like he did where you know a Safety Car period would result is a lot different. Either way he slid in a way to blow the tire to cover up any evidence. Same thing with Jimmie Johnson being told my Chad to slam his car into the wall during a burnout.

That being said it did screw Ryan Newman over and as a Tony Stewart worshiper I was sad to see a Stewart-Haas driver not make the chase.

If Bowyer spun to cause a caution and bring his teammate into contention, he should be penalized. Dale Jr. did something similar to bring out a caution a few years ago, and he was penalized. NASCAR should do an investigation and apply the rule consistently, otherwise, they will be just like the WWE.

The thing that really bothered me about the end of the race was that Edwards jumped the final restart and was not penalized.

Hey, they had to do something to increase the odds of the Nippon Giant finally winning the whole deal this year, right??
mad.gif

NEWS FROM NASCAR: NASCAR Penalizes Michael Waltrip Racing Following Event At Richmond
September 9, 2013 at 5:18pm

NASCAR Penalizes Michael Waltrip Racing Following Event At Richmond International Raceway

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Sept. 9, 2013) – NASCAR has issued penalties to Michael Waltrip Racing following the sanctioning body’s review of Saturday’s race at Richmond International Raceway.

MWR was found to have violated Section 12-4 (Actions detrimental to stock car racing). As a result, MWR’s three teams in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (No. 15, 55, 56) have been penalized with the loss of 50 championship driver and 50 championship owner points, respectively.

These point penalties are assessed following the season’s 26th regular season race and not after the seeding for the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup. Therefore, the point total for the No. 56 car driven by Martin Truex Jr. is reduced to 691, putting him in 17th position and eliminating him from the second Wild Card berth for the Chase field. Ryan Newman, driver of the No. 39 car, now moves up into the Chase as the second Wild Card participant.

NASCAR has also fined the MWR organization $300,000 and indefinitely suspended Ty Norris, MWR Executive Vice President/General Manager and spotter for the No. 55 car, for violating Section 12-4. The three crew chiefs – Brian Pattie (No. 15), Scott Miller (No. 55) and Chad Johnston (No. 56) – have all been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

“Based upon our review of Saturday night’s race at Richmond, it is our determination that the MWR organization attempted to manipulate the outcome of the race,” said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition. “As the sport’s sanctioning body, it is our responsibility to ensure there is a fair and level playing field for all of our competitors and this action today reflects our commitment to that.”

- NASCAR -

Frankly I agree with the penalty. I am jaded by F1 and their team orders, so it didn't seen that bad at the time, but in reviewing all the evidence it was dirty pool. Something like Felipe Massa's engineer getting on the radio and saying "Fernando is faster than you" is one thing, but having a crash like that happened is unacceptable.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I'm surprised that NASCAR issued that harsh of a penalty, but I think they had to do it.

I agree, I haven't seen this much fan backlash in a long time.

Something like Felipe Massa's engineer getting on the radio and saying "Fernando is faster than you" is one thing, but having a crash like that happened is unacceptable.

At least in F1, one expects some drivers to somewhat cooperate with orders and some drivers not to. Heck, you might ask Massa to help pull Alonso around the track a bit. I suggest they wouldn't even try to ask to get Webber to do that for Vettel or Raikkonen to do that for anyone.
wink.gif

Anything that intentionally causes a collision isn't going to be supported by me.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I used to enjoy watching a few of the races a year and I just keep losing more and more interest.

I used to never miss a race. Through high school, through college, through the birth of my two kids; the race was always on. Over the years, I've slowly become less and less interested in it. I don't think I've watched a single one this year. What happened at Richmind is incredibly disappointing to me, even as a somewhat disinterested former fan. I used to watch Mark Martin and Bobby Labonte and Ward Burton. I used to brush off the calls that NASCAR was becoming a sponsor-driven circus, but I have indeed felt that way over the past few years and what happened Saturday night just caps it off for me.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
So when is the penalty on Edwards coming?

No penalty for Edwards. Tape showed that Menard spun his tires, got somewhat crossed up and bumped Edwards. No foul for Edwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back