NASCAR racers: What kind of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheets? I thought he had the GC jammies with the sewn in feet.
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Found this on the web. Probably BS but ya never know.
wink.gif

Last night my wife and I attended a meeting Of Amsoil

Dealers from the Seattle Tacoma area.Guest speaker was

Donald Nichols from Roanoke Virginia.Mr. Nichols spoke

for two hours.It was a question and answer period

mostly.His first question was "who knows anything
about

Nascar Racing"?About a dozen dealers raised their

hands."How many race teams do you think use Amsoil in

their race cars"?I was thinking maybe half but it is

70% and Mr Nichols sells to these race teams.Jeff

Gordon,Dale Jarret,Petty Racing,Earnhardt to name a

few.This is a secret among the race teams as Big oil

Spends millions to advertise their name all over these

cars.His best story was about I believe Tim Richmonds

team having Chevron Uniflo of Superflo plastered all

over.Chevron does oil analysis after each race.When

they switched to Amsoil four races went by and then

Chevron wanted to see them extract the oil with a

company tech on hand.They came to realize that it was

not their oil being run in the car they so heavily

sponsor."Well what are you using in it then"?Amsoil !

Why?Team manager explained to the Chevron fellow."I

know your name is on our car but would you rather see

it in the front of the pack or in the middle or back

because this car is three miles per hour faster with

the Amsoil than the Chevron blend...I asked him what

the other teams used.Roush Racing blends their own oil

and Mobil 1 are next most popular.I found out a lot of

things that I never knew last evening I thought I
would

share with those who love to treat their cars to

premium products.....

Chris.

quote:

'official' release
from Mobil that stated that of the 167 NASCAR/BUSCH/Truck times 121
were
using Mobil 1R in the 2003 season...

Here you go. This is from someone who knows this information.
wink.gif

Well its a good bet you will never get a straight answer from any team. They may have a contract to use one brand of oil and if they publicly say then run another, there go the sponsor $$.

quote:

from Mobil that stated that of the 167 NASCAR/BUSCH/Truck times 121
were
using Mobil 1R in the 2003 season...

Using it in what is the question, the transporter or does Mobil just send them cases of oil to do with as they see fit? Race teams will do whatever it takes to get an edge and if that means pouring one brand of oil into another brands container and letting everyone think that what it is, so be it.

I listen to big Al Unser talk on his Indy racing days, Pikes Peak races and how they would hide the synthetic oils in another name brand container (sponsor) to hide what they were using a synthetic oil that thier oil sponsor did not make.

You will never find out what gets put into the engine unless you are the one doing it.

[ January 01, 2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

It's true, I'm sure some of the teams aren't quite happy enough with certain brands and sneak in other brands. I also believe that the Mobil R oil is used as stated above. And I also think certain companies wan't you to think there oils are be used more then they really are.
smile.gif

Interesting to note though is that when you take the 121 and divide it by 167 you get 73%, which is what the Mobil 1 website used as a figure as to how many are using M1 in their cars.

[ January 01, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Most NASCAR fans aren't exactly rocket scientists ...

True TS, but the guys with the PHD's formulating and engineers behind the technology making the cars are.
wink.gif

As far as propaganda, true. Some companies just have more propaganda then others.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

You will never find out what gets put into the engine unless you are the one doing it.

On this particular topic, truer words were never spoke.

With some effort I could probably PROVE what oil was being used by certain teams. But then it would just be dismissed as propaganda. I mean, the almighty ExxonMobil has spoke as well as the ultra-connected Amsoil dealer. What other "facts" are needed?

In all honesty, I could care less about what oil is actually being used in these cars bc I don't drive one.
grin.gif
However, it is interesting to know bc all the best technology comes from racing whether it's F1 or NASCAR. So, if the Mobil 1 SS oil was derived from the drag racing communitee, which it was, it most likely is a new advanced oil. However, what Mobil can do for only $4qt is limited so it's not the exact oil. Even with engines, all the new stuff gets put into these cars. Ford is going to start using technology from their new GT 40 into their new cars. It's a trickle down effect.

Most NASCAR fans aren't exactly rocket scientists ...
wink.gif

What matters is winning - that's where the advertising and the decals pay off!

Nobody really cares who is using what product, unless they are doing IR and D and using the results to improve their street oils ....

Amsoil and Mobil 1 were the first two synlubes on the US market. Castrol Syntec did not hit the retail shelves until approx 1990 - that's 18 years after Amsoil and 15 years after Mobil 1. So of course racers of all types started out using Amsoil and Mobil 1 synthetics and many have continued to do so...

FWIW, I think that Redline came out in the early 1980's ...

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics
(256) 882-0768

I remember back in the 70's Don Prudhomme's funny car team was sponsered by Cam2. There was BIG stink one time when someone spotted them pouring Castrol into the Cam2 cans! He had to do alot of back-pedaling off the track to explain that one!

Bill

Found this on TDIclub.com:
 -

-
[color:"blue"] This past week Motorweek's Pat Goss interviewed Rusty Wallace. Rusty discussed the work they are doing in conjunction with Mobil and the trends towards (much) thinner oils and their testing. Transcript as follows: [/color]
quote:

-

Pat Goss: As you know, we get a lot of letters concerning oils, and who better to explain some of the myths about oils than Nascar's own Rusty Wallace.

Rusty Wallace: Hey, how you doing?

Goss : Oils, I mean you destroy oils out there.

Rusty: We do. No doubt about that.

Goss: Now, one of the myths is that oils in race cars, no one would ever use a synthetic. That's wrong.

Rusty: That's wrong. I don't think anybody would use the old style oil anymore. Almost everybody uses synthetic. I mean you can take this oil, and I'll put it in our car in the NASCAR Winston Cup circuit, take it out there. I've had cases where this might, my oil temperature gauge is pegged at 320 degrees, because we've got a piece of paper on the front of the grill. Heck, I've run 200 and 300 mile races without having any problem whatsoever. In fact, I've won races before at the oil temperature gauge peg, and you could never do that with non-synthetic oils. This stuff is really pretty bulletproof nowadays.

Goss: Okay. Now, the other thing, we're always hearing that if it's a race car, it's going to be running 50 weight oil. Now, that's changed, too.

Rusty: Yeah, a lot of people think that the more rpms you go, the hotter everything is, you've got to have this real thick oil, and that's not necessarily the case. In a lot of cases nowadays, we're qualifying in racing 0-weight oil. We've got a lot of very, very light oil. It's getting to the bearings, turns a lot of rpm, less friction, less heat because of less friction, making more horsepower. And so we do a lot of experimenting with oils, but I've got to tell you, I mean we don't race anything over 30 weight nowadays.

Goss: Isn't that amazing? The changes are just phenomenal.

Rusty: They really are. Things have changed a lot, bearing clearances, materials, the oil. It's just amazing how good Mobil's worked to produce this style of racing oil and street car oil and to come up with a formulation. It's just amazing out there. I mean I've got to tell you, when I walk into the dyno room and I see my engine on the dyno turning 9800 to 10,000 rpms, right now we're working some engines that turn over 10,000, and we've got 0-weight oil in there, and I'm just sitting there watching this thing screaming on what we call the Terminator, which is a dyno which we can actually run 500-mile races on it.

You'll hear the engine shifting on the dyno, you'll hear it run 5 hours. And I'll ask the guy, I'll say, "What oil we got in here?" Well, there's four or five different blends we might play with and help experiment with Mobil with, and he says, "Oh, that's the 0W-5 weight stuff."

I'm like, "oh my gosh", and it's just going crazy. Headers are glowing red. You take the engine apart, and the bearings look brand new. So it is absolutely a myth that you have to run 50-weight oil in these cars nowadays.

Goss: Rusty, thank you so very much.

Rusty: You bet. Thank you very much.

link

[ January 02, 2004, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: batterycar ]

quote:

Rusty: ...we don't race anything over 30 weight nowadays...

...the Terminator, which is a dyno which we can actually run 500-mile races on it. I'll ask the guy, I'll say, "What oil we got in here?" ...he says, "Oh, that's the 0W-5 weight stuff." Headers are glowing red. You take the engine apart, and the bearings look brand new. So it is absolutely a myth that you have to run 50-weight oil in these cars nowadays.

I can believe 30 weight oil on the track, but 0W-5?!?!? Amazing.

[ January 02, 2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: batterycar ]

Thanks for posting this link. It's amazing what these guys are doing now with oil. I'm sure Mobil's at the leading edge of this technology as well.
cheers.gif

This information is consistant with what my oil expert colleague says. He says automotive engines don't ever need anything over 30wt in them. Even lower weights do an excellent job of lubricating the engine and holding a film. The only problem with going under 30wt dino oil is that you get significant oil loss from volatility from the heat. That's why you see these oils formulated as synthetics.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
They get new engines but do you think you could put your car through more abuse then running 175mph at 10K rpms for 500 laps? An oil that is able to hold up an engine that long easily keep a regular street car going for thousands of miles.

You can't say that though, because the construction of a race engine is also probably a lot different, with very durable valvetrain components and bearings. So it's comparing apples to oranges. What works well in one engine doesn't necessarily work well in the other.

Patman, I was thinking along the same lines. Those NASCAR engines only have to live for 1000 miles miles or so while passenger car engines need to live infinitely longer. NASCAR doesn't care too much about cold starting, CAFE or fuel dilution, do they? There are no owners manuals for these race cars stating "only use XXw-XX oil for the first 5000 miles of break in". They don't care about these sorts of things.

All they care about is winning the race & gaining the edge over the opponent, just like in the business world. If it's water-thin oil that provides that advantage, than so be it.

I would love to see a UOA of that motor that was glowing red-hot using the 0w-5 oil! I can't imagine the HTHS value would be at or above 2.65 with this setup!

[ January 02, 2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back