Nascar at Lemans

I understand a modified NASCAR will be at the 24 Hours of Lemans. What are they doing to the engine so it will survive 24 hours.

It's a Team Hendrick car, the effort led by Chad Knaus. I've traveled the world seeing races, including Le Mans in 1983. The Euros will love this big NASCAR beast. It'll have a sound all it's own, and they'll like that. Guaranteed. Same with Americans here. They love a high revving Ferrari, not a V8. People always want what they don't have!

Scott

The R07 is not a weak engine and has been getting a beating for a long time now. So literally no reason or evidence to suggest it cannot handle 24 hours.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but the car has been modified extensively for the 24 hour race. Here's a good source of info. I really hope it does well.

Scott

https://www.nascar.com/garage56

Should be exciting to watch. Who will the drivers be? With AI they could remake the movie LeMans and put Steve McQueen back in the Nascar entry. More interesting than that old Gulf Porsche 917.

917.jpg
courtesy Motor Authority

Last edited:
Here's a picture. Lots of aero work. Looks beastly in a very good way. Euros will love it. Guaranteed. I think it highly likely this car will touch 200mph on the Mulsanne Straight.

One thing I gather is that the Garage 56 entry is one car only category with pretty much no restrictions. You can bet they won't be running a restrictor plate! Those R07 motors can indeed put out 1,000 horsepower, but who knows what the design details are. As just one example, imagine the fuel system changes they most certainly had to make for a 24 hour race.

24 hours is a long time to run a one of a kind, prototype race car hard. That said, I think this car is going put on a good show and be surprisingly quick.

Of note, spec-wise; The Garage 56 car is approximately 500 pounds lighter than the Cup car version. That's significant!

Scott

2023-april18-garage56-main-image.jpg

Last edited:
Should be exciting to watch. Who will the drivers be? With AI they could remake the movie LeMans and put Steve McQueen back in the Nascar entry. More interesting than that old Gulf Porsche 917.

View attachment 156443
courtesy Motor Authority
I heard McQueen lost a bundle doing that movie. He and his friend and neighbor James Garner found themselves both tied up in making a race movie at the same time. Garner stared in the more watchable and successful Gran Prix film. McQueen's film turned into a long and
boring almost documentary type production. Lemans is a very famous place built long ago and has held races since 1906. There have been yearly endurance races held there ever since the 1920s. I like the NASCAR idea. Think it is a great idea. I wish NASCAR could design their very own full field type of race there like they do at the Brickyard. Probably way too costly and tough logistics etc.... plus insurance and who knows what other hurdles.

I understand a modified NASCAR will be at the 24 Hours of Lemans. What are they doing to the engine so it will survive 24 hours.
There is no reason to suggest the engine wouldn't last the 24 hours in it's current state.
Cars cover 3000+ miles in 24hr

That is significant.
The R07 is not a weak engine and has been getting a beating for a long time now. So literally no reason or evidence to suggest it cannot handle 24 hours.
they've already done 24 hour testing at Sebring.

I heard McQueen lost a bundle doing that movie. He and his friend and neighbor James Garner found themselves both tied up in making a race movie at the same time. Garner stared in the more watchable and successful Gran Prix film. McQueen's film turned into a long and
boring almost documentary type production. Lemans is a very famous place built long ago and has held races since 1906. There have been yearly endurance races held there ever since the 1920s. I like the NASCAR idea. Think it is a great idea. I wish NASCAR could design their very own full field type of race there like they do at the Brickyard. Probably way too costly and tough logistics etc.... plus insurance and who knows what other hurdles.
Ford v Ferrari is excellent. Really exciting movie.

Back