Nascar at Lemans

They just need to run Mobil 1 0-40 or HPL oil.;)
You are getting Malo83 all upset - this should help calm him down😷

CF346DFB-A60E-4471-9356-08C97A815BA2.jpeg

Dare I say that she's a big girl?

Gotta love the sound though.

It's a Team Hendrick car, the effort led by Chad Knaus. I've traveled the world seeing races, including Le Mans in 1983. The Euros will love this big NASCAR beast. It'll have a sound all it's own, and they'll like that. Guaranteed. Same with Americans here. They love a high revving Ferrari, not a V8. People always want what they don't have!

Scott

Last edited:
I understand a modified NASCAR will be at the 24 Hours of Lemans. What are they doing to the engine so it will survive 24 hours.
From what I was told a Nascar team back in the 70's? Thought they'd show those Europeans what a "real" racecar is like. I think it lasted 4-5 hours before it retired.

From what I was told a Nascar team back in the 70's? Thought they'd show those Europeans what a "real" racecar is like. I think it lasted 4-5 hours before it retired.
I remember what the European road racers thought about Kenny Roberts that American dirt bike rider !

The Dodge Charger and motors they brought ran exceptional until they melted the pistons was the story due to some misunderstanding
goof by the American team with the wrong fuel they ran by mistake. There are some great stories and pictures across the internet about the Yanks going to LeMans in the 70s and being greatly welcomed yet they flopped due to not enough money and backing as well as limited experience and that fuel mess up. Olympia Beer from California put up a good bit of their sponsorship at the time.

Watching video clips from practice is quite amusing. The difference in sound is spectacular.

Watching video clips from practice is quite amusing. The difference in sound is spectacular.
I would love to drive "anything" around that track!
You guys got me in the mood now. I have both the late 60s n early 70s European racing films on DvDs. The 1971 Steve McQueen made "LeMans." Plus the one his buddy , next door neighbor James Garner stared in called Gran Prix. Steve passed the part onto his pal since he was already heavily into paying , planning and developing the "LeMans" project himself. Gran Prix , based on the Formula One circuit of races was the better of the two movies. Lots of coverage of the Italian Gran Prix as the last race of the movie with better back story. Both McQueen + Garner were long time road racers and some of the people they competed against have said that both of them had the talent if they wanted to have been able to have had racing careers if they chose too.

I would love to drive "anything" around that track!
You guys got me in the mood now. I have both the late 60s n early 70s European racing films on DvDs. The 1971 Steve McQueen made "LeMans." Plus the one his buddy , next door neighbor James Garner stared in called Gran Prix. Steve passed the part onto his pal since he was already heavily into paying , planning and developing the "LeMans" project himself. Gran Prix , based on the Formula One circuit of races was the better of the two movies. Lots of coverage of the Italian Gran Prix as the last race of the movie with better back story. Both McQueen + Garner were long time road racers and some of the people they competed against have said that both of them had the talent if they wanted to have been able to have had racing careers if they chose too.

If you haven't seen it 'Truth in 24' is a really good look into the race from the perspective of Audi when they were dominating it those handful of years. There was a second one made as well, can't remember the name offhand, but it detailed the team from a year or two later and while not as good as the first, it is still worth a watch.

Of course, its made it to Youtube:

If you haven't seen it 'Truth in 24' is a really good look into the race from the perspective of Audi when they were dominating it those handful of years. There was a second one made as well, can't remember the name offhand, but it detailed the team from a year or two later and while not as good as the first, it is still worth a watch.

Of course, its made it to Youtube:

Thanks - will check it out.

1686144588229.jpg

I suppose it's possible they would step it up for Le Mans, but I don't see why they would need to. They run 0W-16 at Daytona in the summer, at steady 7500-8500 rpm, 280-290°F sump temp, and 350-360°F bearing temp the entire race. Oiling issues are very rare. If the oil can survive 500 miles like that, I don't see why it couldn't do it for ~3,200 miles. The fuel may be a factor. I don't know all the specs of Excellium 100, and can't find a spec sheet anywhere, but I do know it's 85% gasoline, 5% bio-fuel, and 10% ethanol which shouldn't be much different from the E15 they run in NASCAR. I wouldn't imagine fuel dilution would be a major factor, especially with how lean they run those engines on the jagged edge, but could be wrong there. They get ~5 mpg at Daytona which is really impressive considering the speed, wide open throttle most of the time, and high rpm.

Did you guys notice the rear spoiler on the Camaro? That thing looks like a sheet of plywood limiting the speeds on the straights. This entry is listed as "exhibition" so it's not really competing against anything but I'd love to see it blow a few Porsche and Ferrari entries into the weeds. The race will start this Saturday so if you can find it on TV then enjoy!

Did you guys notice the rear spoiler on the Camaro? That thing looks like a sheet of plywood limiting the speeds on the straights. This entry is listed as "exhibition" so it's not really competing against anything but I'd love to see it blow a few Porsche and Ferrari entries into the weeds. The race will start this Saturday so if you can find it on TV then enjoy!
Thanks 4 poiting it out. I will look for it. I got a 2 year old grandson who is already a speed freek. It must be in the blood. We took his dad to the old Atlanta Motor Speedway a number of times around age of 9 & 10. All of a sudden little grandson (his son) can not walk straight unless he has a hot wheel car in each hand. I think they showed him the cartoon movies Cars and that did it. Now he comes over and lays on the floor and lines up about twenty hot wheels cars on the floor just like a NASCAR starting grid and is going verooooom, zooom as he pushes them around in a circle like he is doing a real speedway race start. Too funny. Other day he was here and the race was starting and he about flipped. I think it was his first time seeing them follow the pace car and take off at speed. He stood in front of the Tv like a statue until the pack started to spread out. Dont talk about when he saw a caution and some bouncing around off the walls etc... I cant get over it. Only (2) years old and I put none of that in his head. He picked it up on his own some where or at home watching the Tv. Everytime he comes here he has to show off to me the latest thing he learned... But he will not let go of those two hot wheel cars. Talk about an ordeal to feed him with cars in each hand. lol - I am going look if I can stream the "Truth In 24' that CtechBob mentioned. It sounds updated and interesting.

Back