NAPA Syn 5w-30, 5000 miles, 2020 Chevy Traverse 3.6l

UOA from wife’s car. This oil was from the 2nd oil change. I changed it the first time right at 1000 mikes. I generally stick to 5k OCIs, but I may end up following the OLM on her car. The oil filter was an AC Delco PF63E.

OIL NAPA SYN 5w-30
MILES IN USE 5,067
MILES 10,201
SAMPLE TAKEN 07/30/21

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 12
COPPER 12
LEAD 0
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 287
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 2
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 26
SILICON 27
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 1428
MAGNESIUM 535
PHOSPHORUS 746
ZINC 849
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.1
WATER 0
FUEL FLASHPOINT °F 445
SUS VIS 210 °F 56
cSt @ 212 °F 9.06
TBN 2.9

So it is not water or fuel diluted, but has sheared below grade in 5k miles?
Do you think that the report is inaccurate or that this engine is just hard on the oil?

Edit: Even if it thinned out, I still thought it was an otherwise good looking UAO. I’m still kind of new to the UAO game.

Last edited:
Since these engines are hard on oil, do you think that why the spec’d 5w30? Maybe they expected it to shear down and that’s why they are spec’ing an Xw20 like so many other newer GM engines. I know that they supposedly adjusted the OLM from when they first started pushing these out. From the UOA, I don’t think that shearing caused any undue wear.

Like I said before, I’m new to this UOA thing. I’m just trying to learn. I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

I think it might have a lot to do with these vehicles being soccer Mom type transports that typically are neglected. When they stretched the OLM out I think some folks took that as if the vehicle never needed service. Both of our sons served time working at dealerships and that was their impression.

Wear metals look good and TBN is 2.9, so even if the oil sheared to a thick 20 grade, it did its job and I see no reason to lower the OCI from 5000. BTW, even though you changed the oil at 1000 and this is the 2nd oil change, the fact that the vehicle only has 10k miles and the wear metals and silicon have already dropped to near normal levels is impressive. I've seen oil reports where there's still break-in showing after 20k miles.

I didn't think NAPA oil had that much moly in it.

Do you think that the report is inaccurate or that this engine is just hard on the oil?

Edit: Even if it thinned out, I still thought it was an otherwise good looking UAO. I’m still kind of new to the UAO game.

I don't know much about this engine, but others have explained.

If I had an engine that hard on oil, and unless I lived on the north slope of Alaska, I would use a more robust 10w-30 to offset that.

I really like this oil; it was on sale for $16/6 qts this weekend. Normally it's around $24/jug at Walmart. Weirdly overpriced in the link below at the moment. It is often also $10 rebate from Mobil on top of that (it is "on" right now):

It has an HTHS of 3.5 and holds up well. I have run it in high-output, small displacement turbo engines (GM LTG, for example), and it has been good for 7,500 miles with plenty of life left - I have run UOAs on it. There are other robust oils you could use, this is just one widely available option.

The post caught my eye re: Napa FS since I sometimes buy the Napa FS 10w-30 as a "make-up oil" or for use in some cars not as hard on oil. I spotted the 100C cST value and knew that was out of 30w range.

As an aside, I think you were very smart to change the oil out at 1k. I have seen studies that have shown quick early oil changes correlate to longer engine life.

Granted its a short run but I dont think its a horrible report. Something tells me its on the thinner end of a 5w-30 out of the bottle.

The TBN is pretty low for the short run time.

Is this an older sn or sn+ Napa synthetic? The add pack is nothing like sp Napa syn HM sp.

It looks like if it is sp, valvoline is using the same adpack as the Valvoline advanced in the Napa synthetic and an totally different adpack in the Napa full syn high mileage version.

I follow the OLM on my 2017 Chevy Traverse and almost like clockwork it tells me its almost time to change somewhere after 6000 miles.
I use Super Tech 5/30 Syn and AC Delco Filter. I am not brand loyal to any oil and will simply choose Dexos as called for. Never ran a UOA on it, now you got me curious but will be a while as I just changed the oil last month. Im at 41,000 miles now, engine never misses a beat also never misses a drop of oil between changes.

Your UOA looks great, wear metals are low and isnt that what we look for?
You iron is below other Traverse's so I would be very happy and most of all its a "new" engine and many times the wear numbers would be higher as its still breaking in.

Viscosity? Almost splitting fractions between 20 & 30 not an issue at all.

Since its a chevy its easy to do a an online search for other UOAs on the same vehicle which I just did before posting this, there are a few out there, your wear numbers are the lowest of the few I have seen. Its takes time searching but there are some, search terms like Traverse UOA, Chevy 3.6 UOA ect, ect, then also click on image search, I would try google and duckduckgo.

I would be happy with this report.

I am curious as to what lab you used.

Last edited:
I follow the OLM on my 2017 Chevy Traverse and almost like clockwork it tells me its almost time to change somewhere after 6000 miles.
I use Super Tech 5/30 Syn and AC Delco Filter. I am not brand loyal to any oil and will simply choose Dexos as called for. Never ran a UOA on it, now you got me curious but will be a while as I just changed the oil last month. Im at 41,000 miles now, engine never misses a beat also never misses a drop of oil between changes.

Your UOA looks great, wear metals are low and isnt that what we look for?
You iron is below other Traverse's so I would be very happy and most of all its a "new" engine and many times the wear numbers would be higher as its still breaking in.

Viscosity? Almost splitting fractions between 20 & 30 not an issue at all.

Since its a chevy its easy to do a an online search for other UOAs on the same vehicle which I just did before posting this, there are a few out there, your wear numbers are the lowest of the few I have seen. Its takes time searching but there are some, search terms like Traverse UOA, Chevy 3.6 UOA ect, ect, then also click on image search, I would try google and duckduckgo.

I would be happy with this report.

I am curious as to what lab you used.
Thanks for the feedback. I used blackstone. I may use NAPA for the next one.

Back