napa silvers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports I've seen say that some Napa-silver filter models are good and some models are really cheapos. It depends which model you look at. I think all Napa-Gold filters are very good.

Ken

I can't see buying a NAPA Silver (or a CarQuest Red Label) when the higher quality stuff costs mere dollars more. The NAPA Silver and CarQuest Red Label may be okay oil filters but the NAPA Gold and the Car Quest Blue Label are bound to be at least a little bit better. Buying the cheaper stuff saves mere dollars a year. Go with the top quality stuff.

Summary of Napa Silver (21085)and Gold (1085) filters last summer. These fit 4.0L Jeep and some other DCs. Other applications may be entirely different.

Same canister thickness
Same baseplate and gasket
Same coil spring on closed end
Silver has closed end metal/phenolic(?) coil spring bypass
Gold has open end metal/rubber coil spring bypass (same location as OEM)
Filter media different
ADBV same dimensionally, but orange (silicone?) on Gold, and black (Nitrile?) on Silver

^^^^

What he said. The Silver and Gold models both appear to be by the same manufacturer (Wix), as they look nearly identical inside. The coil spring stands out toward the filter outlet, something I have never seen on a champ labs filter. Both models have this, they were purchased within a week or so apart, so I'm assuming Wix currently produces both.

The only way I could tell the filters apart externally was the red ADBV on the Gold model (as opposed to black on the silver), and obviously the name on the can.

On the outside of the box, the gold model claims that the media is enhanced with glass fibers, and that the ADBV is silicone. The silver model makes none of these claims, so I assume these to be the only important differences.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough on the bypass differences between the Gold and Silver Napas. On the Jeep filters, both the style and location of the bypass valves differ. The Silver has a plastic(phenolic?) and metal bypass valve on the closed (non-OEM) end. The Gold has a rubber and metal bypass valve on the open end as per the OEM. Not sure about other, non-Jeep type applications.

The Napa Silver and Gold models both are made by Wix. There are only about 3 filter mfg that makes filters for all the names, but with different specs.
David

"Fram, Purolator, Champion, Wix, and Delphi. That covers most NA filters."

Delphi is GM?

Is Filtech going out of business?

What about Baldwin/Hastings?

--- Bror Jace

Delphi and Champ make AC filters. That is most of them. I have never even seen a baldwin or hastings filter for sale.
dunno.gif
They make up a very small part of the passenge car market.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back