Napa Silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any problem running a Napa Silver for 5,000 miles for my hard use towing season with my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder VQ40DE V6? Oil will prob be Mobil 1 5 or 10w30.

I cut a Napa Silver with roughly 10k on it a while back, if you search it should come up. Didn't see any issues, but it was my first time opening one up, too.

I dont know about Napas media quality, but I pulled one from my neighbors mustang recently and the can literally crushed during removal, so much so that I could not even pull the media for inspection when I cut open the can. It was in service for about 6-8 months with unknown mileage on the OCI. Food for thought.

The only reason for a crushed can, that I know of, is over-tightening on install.

It wasn't overtightened. I just went to spin it off and that was all she wrote. I either have super human strength (not likely) or that can had a defect (much more likely)

I use a lot of Silvers. Awesome value filters.

I find the can comments odd as I have cut a bunch of them and the Wix made Silvers are very stout, both inside and out.

Despite stout construction, the media is just straight cellulose and while they use a lot of it the capacity is probably somewhat limited. So not a good choice for extended intervals, but 5k in a decently clean engine should be very doable.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I will post pictures of the can tommorow when I have a chance to upload them.

Sounds like maybe you do have super strength and just didn't know it. Have you been hitting the gym lately?
smile.gif

Anything 5k+, I would be skeptical of the ADBV/ bypass combo getting stuff. Never ran one that far so I don't know how they get.

A cartridge filter should be able to pull it off easily though. I plan on using these as well as WIX in my mom's 'Yoda 4runner.

I use them all the time for a 6K run and never had any engine rattles at start up. A great value. I also prefer them over Fram orange can and Purolator Classics.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Any problem running a Napa Silver for 5,000 miles for my hard use towing season with my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder VQ40DE V6? Oil will prob be Mobil 1 5 or 10w30.

That's a relatively new vehicle you're towing with. Why get a low-end filter? It is probably up to it, but I just don't get the BITOG obsession with saving $3 or $4.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

That's a relatively new vehicle you're towing with. Why get a low-end filter? It is probably up to it, but I just don't get the BITOG obsession with saving $3 or $4.

It's not that I'm trying to save a few bucks I usually use a Fram Ultra or factory Nissan filter. A friend gave me the Napa Silver when he decided to sell his Nissan Pathfinder so I just figured I would use it up for a short oil change. I usually go no more than 7,500 miles on Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 to be in compliance with the warranty.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

It's not that I'm trying to save a few bucks I usually use a Fram Ultra or factory Nissan filter. A friend gave me the Napa Silver when he decided to sell his Nissan Pathfinder so I just figured I would use it up for a short oil change. I usually go no more than 7,500 miles on Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 to be in compliance with the warranty.

Me, I'd defer using it until after towing season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back