Napa Silver or Supertech oil filter?

For 5k mile runs any of the mentioned filters in this thread will serve you just fine, including the fram.

I think the ST is an outstanding deal for the Toyota, I think we use this same filter for our Scion XB, and the price $2.86 can not be beat.

I have not had one dry knock start with a ST filter.

I would use the ST for my Escape, but Wally stocks the Motorcraft for $3.86. The motorcraft has been getting some poor reviews on this site, so I may stick with the ST.

Yep, I agree. I've had more than 1 buddy complain about their Motorcraft filters for their Ford made vehicles.

As for my original question, I appreciate everyone's feedback. I swung by a local Wally yesterday. The STs seem to be made pretty much the same way the Napa Silver is. Both of them seem to be better built than the Champ/AC Delco (to my untrained eyes, the inner cannister is metal, the cans seem to be more rigid and they both seem to have metal end caps vs. The PF1233). ST wins IMO because of the convenience.

ST > Napa Silver > AC Delco

Worst filter I ever used though (which is when I discovered this forum) - Pennzoil yellow filter. It had start up noise, was in bypass mode within 2,000 miles (granted it's on a old project vehicle that gets driven 1,000-1,500 miles a year). It even had torn media when my buddy sawed off the can.

Originally Posted by jsean
Worst filter I ever used though (which is when I discovered this forum) - Pennzoil yellow filter. It had start up noise, was in bypass mode within 2,000 miles (granted it's on a old project vehicle that gets driven 1,000-1,500 miles a year). It even had torn media when my buddy sawed off the can.

So how did you determine it was in bypass @ 2000 miles? Know of no way to test that.

Originally Posted by blupupher

So how did you determine it was in bypass @ 2000 miles? Know of no way to test that.

His engine is so sludged, it packed the filter?
21.gif

Originally Posted by dlundblad

His engine is so sludged, it packed the filter?
21.gif

Then it would happen to any filter. Bypass has a PSI spec, so it would not matter what filter was in there.
I am not sure the OP understands how the bypass works from this post

... The AC Delco PF1233 that came out had already popped the bypass valve
smirk2.gif

The bypass is not a one time thing. Any filter can go into and out of bypass multiple times for a variety of reasons, only one of which is the filter media is overloaded.

Yep, this. The car is cheap JY rescue. That was oil change #2 since I've had it. The amount of sludge in the engine is impressive....

I didn't know that oil filter can go in and out of bypass mode. That is indeed good to learn.
My problem with that specific Pennzoil filter was the media had torn in 2 different places when we cut it open.

My problem with that specific Pennzoil filter was the media had torn in 2 different places when we cut it open.

Well that is a permanent bypass then...

Is the Toyota filter a better design than the Fram orange, Napa silver and ST?

Don't use the Toyota filter, they have NO endcaps!!!!
crazy2.gif

And you know what, it is perfectly fine.

Just as fiber endcaps are perfectly fine.

What I find so funny is so many ignorant people throw a fit for "cardboard" end caps, yet not a peep out of them about the "paper" media.
Yup, cellulose media is just that, paper.

My only gripe with Supertech filters are the combo valves. I have no issue with plastic center tubes or fiber endcaps, just don't like those dang combo valves.
Didn't like them on the Wix made ones, don't like them on the Champ made ones. I know they are just fine, but nope, not for my vehicles (although I say that, I did put one on my brother in laws F150).

Best post in the whole darn thread! I couldn't agree more.
Those darn combo valves, especially when made out of nitrile, don't seem to hold up well. I would say that a silicone one would be much better, but I still don't like it.
As to the rest of cardboard, etc, don't sweat it.

Well that is a permanent bypass then...

Yep

I was referring to the bypass valve which is on the closed side of the can as you mentioned. It was depressed out and towards the threaded end of the filter.

The adbv was pliable

I was referring to the bypass valve which is on the closed side of the can as you mentioned. It was depressed out and towards the threaded end of the filter.

Did you cut that filter open to verify if the bypass valve was stick open?

Been using Napa Silver for many years on my 08 Ford Escape every 5000 OCI. I do not follow Ford Escape 7500 OCI. Used any regular or semi oil 5-20W available either on sale or with rebates, mostly Motorcraft, PYB or Mobil Super 5000

Last edited:
BUMP

I just I talked the 20k mile oil filter, st6606. I plan to run it 10k or OLM and cut it open. My last Xg7317 fram I ran for 27k.

Back