Napa Silver or Supertech oil filter?

First post here. I tried the search bar but couldn't find an answer to my question above.

2006 Corolla, 5k OCI. Running ST full synthetic based on positive reviews on this forum.

Question about oil filter choice: which one of the above would you pick? I used to use Fram orange can, until I had 2 instances of start up noise, especially when cold outside.

Car is currently running AC Delco PF1233 and seems to nice and quiet still, but the price has gone up where it's no longer competitive IMO.

If someone can either point me towards filtration efficiency/useful data that I can use, that would also be greatly appreciated.

I prefer Napa Silver because some, if not most, Supertech filters have cardboard "fiber" end caps...

You can also get Golds and Platinums for $4-5 a piece when they have their semi-annual sales...

I would get some NAPA Gold when then go on sale.

The NAPA Silver and ST filters would in the (good, better, best rating system) good category. Its a 13 yr old car.

But I like filters with a silicone ADBV so I would go for the NAPA Gold.

But either filter you mention would be fine.

The ST 4386 is similar to your Delco and is my pick of the two. You won't go wrong with Toyota either but that wasn't asked.

You guys are impressive with your fast responses!!
Looks like Napa does their semi annual sale around Feb/March time frame?

Also, for curiosity sake - what is the Napa silver? I read a few older threads where some were of the opinion that it was just a PS vs. others who said it had better filtration than the PS, but lower than the Gold?

No ST filter has cardboard end caps, and the one for this car has metal.

Fram needs to redesign the adbv on their filters, or tighten up production standards, because the start up noise has been reported many times now. It's just not a good design the way it sits on the base plate.

The new supertech st4386 uses steel end caps and center tube
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

Whatever you want to call it, this ain't metal:

Napa does have a 20% off code if bought online. I just pick up in store, getting a Select today for less than $2...

Upon further review, it was a "flash sale". But Napa often does an online code or flash sale...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

It ain't cardboard and the one for his car uses metal.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

It ain't cardboard and the one for his car uses metal.

Don't care, still looks cheap and not all that durable...

Dang! Good to know that the ST is cardboard end cap.
What about the Napa Silver?

I used the 20% off and got a Silver for pick up. But I read that Napa does semi annual sale which is 40-50% off at which point I would really like to get the Gold. But I couldn't find much information on when they run it. I think there's a corporate store 10 miles away from me, so not too bad if they have a good deal.

Exactly like the PF63E (Champ) I cut & posted in another thread … the ADBV and PRV fit tightly in the bores … here is someone else's shot showing how well the composite ends are bonded.

BA3C356E-145E-4CB9-9E92-0C9075E845CD.jpeg

I know that the guy in the video is talking about 10k OCI. I would think with a 5k OCI, the end caps being cardboard wouldn't matter as much?

Originally Posted by jsean
...Good to know that the ST is cardboard end cap.......
As Farnsworth correct, it doesn't. ST 4386 uses metal endcaps as it's one of the smallest ST applications. Uses classic Champ construction. The equivalent Napa Silver would have metal endcaps too.

For 5k miles, flip a coin or go least expensive.

Not sure if you recall Jay with Fram … but he explained that bonding two materials with porosity makes a strong bond. Either type is fine. BTW, high quality maker Denso does not use end caps on some … they just seal the end of the pleats

0FD16379-FE03-4F08-81E9-7FCCE4B6FE2E.jpeg

To answer your question, at a 5K or less OCI I would use the Supertech as I could get it when I got my oil. Not have to make another stop.

But I am in Farnsworth's camp. Why wouldn't you just buy a Toyota? Less than $5.

Back