NAPA Platinum vs Fram Ultra

With the NAPA Platinums on sale right now for $7.50, would these be a better value/ superior filter to the Fram Ultra which costs roughly the same?

Napa's sale includes the cartridge filters. Even those are $7.49 (except a few part numbers that just came out, but these will be included next time they run the sale)

So if you have a cartridge filter, then Napa wins by a longshot. Also, the Platinum is available in more part numbers/applications than the Fram Ultra, wider coverage.

The Platinum has mediocre (at best) filtering efficiency for a premium filter, or for that matter, any filter. Ultra is an easy choice if you're looking for a filter that actually does a great job filtering - I believe it has the best efficiency of any filter out there. This thread pretty much covers it: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/napa-platinum.224051/

Personally I'd buy the Platinum as I'm not a fan of the "black grip" they use on the Ultras.

Napa's sale includes the cartridge filters. Even those are $7.49 (except a few part numbers that just came out, but these will be included next time they run the sale)

So if you have a cartridge filter, then Napa wins by a longshot. Also, the Platinum is available in more part numbers/applications than the Fram Ultra, wider coverage.

Right-O.

I picked up Platinum for a European cartridge cartridge just today. The Ultra is $30 in this app, the Platinum $20 regularly. I grab them on sale when I can; though I do prefer Ultra for the reported efficiency edge.

As to the OP, to me the Ultra has the edge because of their beta ratio (last time I checked), and the demonstrated ability to do 20k+ miles in vehicles (I've done it and cut them open - I'm a fan). But they are quite similar in overall quality. But like maineiac said above, the efficiency is amazing.

Ran the Fram Ultra 7317 over 22000 miles and had it cut open and saw no reason not to go further. I have 2 Platinum soaking in Redline Oil and think I still get quieter operation with Fram Ultra / Tough Guard. Currently running M1 because it was free and it will have 25000 miles on it. If you have a Honda or Acura I can say I think Fram is the better filter. In the Napa line Gold filters better than Platinum IMO

Depends on what you consider superior? Based on particle trapping efficiency, the Fram Ultra is far better at that than a Napa Platinum. 20 micron efficiency of the Ultra is better than 99% as compared to the Platinum's which is far worse than 85%.

I question will any one ever notice the difference in engine life? We know what the marketing says . I have seen lots of 250,000 + mile engines running what ever oil and filters the Quick lube places use.

I do think this is a very good point ^^^^^^^^^

Interestingly kschachn has run 420,000+ miles using Toyota oil filters that are not highly efficient. I believe the air filters in Toyota, Honda and Nissan are highly efficient.

Oil filtration does matter in regards to eighteen wheelers with a bypass filtration rate greater than 98 percent at 2 microns. Obviously they run much, much, much larger oil capacity for way, way more miles vs a regular passenger car or truck. Finer filtration allows them to run those far greater distances.

I question will any one ever notice the difference in engine life? We know what the marketing says . I have seen lots of 250,000 + mile engines running what ever oil and filters the Quick lube places use.

If there's any doubt, then why not use the more efficient filter if the price is close between them. PS - there is no such thing as "flow over efficiency" with a PD oil pump.

Last edited:
Well … I was about to comment in the Fram leaking thread … just locked … so will post here.

I strongly feel that a filter wrench is for removal ONLY and you should be able to get contact plus 3/4 by hand … if that takes cleaning hands and filter or gloves … do it. Fram puts texture on the end, right ?

I was taught (teen) to put the wrench by the seam … I’m older and wiser now …

One or the other it makes no difference IMO. There is no real world conclusive tests about which filter is most efficient I have seen, . I would tend toward the Ulta because I can get sucked into advertising and skewed beliefs as well as the next guy. That's what advertisng and a volunteer online fan base are for. Works on all kinds of topics. On the other hand, buying the top filter Napa sells can't be a bad choice.

I do think this is a very good point ^^^^^^^^^

Interestingly kschachn has run 420,000+ miles using Toyota oil filters that are not highly efficient. I believe the air filters in Toyota, Honda and Nissan are highly efficient.

Oil filtration does matter in regards to eighteen wheelers with a bypass filtration rate greater than 98 percent at 2 microns. Obviously they run much, much, much larger oil capacity for way, way more miles vs a regular passenger car or truck. Finer filtration allows them to run those far greater distances.
The Toyotas and Hondas are pretty low, 50-60% at 20 microns and these vehicles run forever.

The ultra has better filtration by far. Will it really matter? Probably not in a car. In a hard towing truck - it might over the course of a life.

I think the platinum is built a bit better, but there is no "problem" with the Ultra build.
Plat has a thicker can - about it.
Some have a beef with Fram bypass calling it a " leaf spring" but the bypass itself is a poppet not a leaf spring

The thin Ultra can will allow a magnet slightly more effective, but if its exposed and you are off-roading it will be easier to penetrate.

For me the only reason to pick the platinum is that you cant find an ultra when you need it.

To anyone that is interested and lives near a Meijer store, you can buy any Fram product this week for 25% off. Many common Fram Ultra filters are only ~$7.

Personally I'd buy the Platinum as I'm not a fan of the "black grip" they use on the Ultras.

I would buy a Royal Purple oil filter because my favorite color is purple and they have those neat purple anti-drainback valves! 💜

For me the only reason to pick the platinum is that you cant find an ultra when you need it.

Really? In my area most Fram products can be had very easily at several stores. Wix and Napa products are far more difficult to acquire as well as being more expensive.

Back