Napa Platinum 41042 Glue

I purchased 2 Napa Platinum Oil filters (41042) a few months ago when they were on sale for Cadillac Escalade. Just recently when getting ready to do an oil change did I notice what looks like at excessive glue bottom of filter. Both filters have this so I dont know if this was purposely done or not. Is this normal for a Napa Platinum filter? Should I not run and just get a different filter?
20200908_210112[1].jpg

20200908_224124[1].jpg
fddf

Looks more like it's not glued/sealed all the way around the circumference of that seam. Is the other filter the same, or glued all the way around that seam?

Looks more like it's not glued/sealed all the way around the circumference of that seam. Is the other filter the same, or glued all the way around that seam?

Both filters I purchased look exactly the same as far the glue which made me wonder was it done that way on purpose.

If you did not see any glue, would you be questioning it ?
Most people would not, they would assume the pleats are glued to the Base Plate.

I did not pay for them.
But you could cut one open and educate us all.

A machine is applying the glue then the media is dropped into it. If there is a small bead all around as it should be it's OK if not I wouldn;t use them. Actually that's too much excess glue so wouldn't use them in any case. Toyota filters have no glue showing, it's a better design, and I think ecores use fusion bonding, everyone else uses potted glue , I think.

I wouldn't use that. That glue should be on the filter media, sealing it to the base of the filter. To me that means there may be some missing someplace allowing the media to leak oil past it.
On top of that, I've seen a lot of ADB valves on the bottom of filters, held tight by a coil spring on the bottom. To me, this glue would either not allow the valve to either close properly, or not open properly.
If it did open, pieces of glue could get into an oil galley or passage somewhere, which might be disaster for the engine.
The more of this crap I see, the more I appreciate the type of filter used by Mercedes and others, where you just change the media itself.

How many of these filters with this glue situation get installed on vehicles and NEVER have a problem. IMHO, if you had not been a member here you would never have looked inside the filter. You would have installed it, and went on your merry way.
Use it.

Thanks for the info that there is no bypass valve, never thought of that.
With that said I still would not ever use a filter with glue where it does not belong and could very well flow into the engine.

Thanks for the info that there is no bypass valve, never thought of that.
With that said I still would not ever use a filter with glue where it does not belong and could very well flow into the engine.
I think you are going to have to buy Toyota filters then. If your car doesn’t have 3/4 filter threads to use Toyota filters you are going to have to buy another car that does. Maybe they make the Mazda size filters now since Toyota sells them as Toyota’s with a few changes. Will take some research.
i know what you mean this is excessive glue. I have looked at glue excess in filters though, and after they were used the glue looked unchanged.

Back