Napa Gold vs Pure One

Status
Not open for further replies.
The photos are from a Napa Gold 1356 and a Purolator Pure One 14610. Both fit my Nissans. The 1356 is from my Titan, 7500 miles using 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra. The 14610 is from the Altima, 4000+ miles using PYB 5W-30. I am not comparing the performance, but the media size and build of both.

Here is the 1356 opened. Silicone ADBV, Thread End Bypass. Coil spring for bypass. Media held up well. Thick Nitrile gasket. Large inlet holes.
MVC-005S.jpg

PureOne Breakdown. Silicone ADBV, Funky bypass spring (looks like a 45rpm record adapter), Silicone gasket (thin), smaller inlet holes, but more of them. Media held with metal clip. Media held up fine.

MVC-008S.jpg

Media comparison: PureOne on top, NG on bottom.
MVC-007S.jpg

Base of 1356
MVC-004S.jpg

NG's media. Seam is glued. Less pleats than P1 (I did not count, just eyeballed).
MVC-003S.jpg

I would use either one with confidence. I like the P-1's grippy can, and silicone gasket. I like the NG's thick gasket, and coil spring for the bypass.

Right now I am experimenting with a XG7317 (gold can) on the Titan. Altima has a PL14610. The Extended guard seems to be a good filter and I got it for less than the NG. I will buy NG's when Napa has them on sale though. PureOne's seem to be the best bang for the buck on my Nissans.

Dave

Thanks for the pics. What stands out immediately (like Bill's Subie filter pics) is the difference in media area. Thread end bypass takes up space. Might not mean anything, but it is impressive.

With you on the P1 texture, like it too. And some great deals on them at AAP, especially with online codes.

How do you get a XG for < Napa Gold? Either the NG is too high, or you got a deal on the XG.

Thanks for the comparison and the pics! I still don't think I like the combination of the tiny inlet holes holes and large, dense media element on the P1s. That is a tiny filter element on the NG though!

Originally Posted By: AMC
Thanks for the comparison and the pics! I still don't think I like the combination of the tiny inlet holes holes and large, dense media element on the P1s. That is a tiny filter element on the NG though!

If you add up the area of all the small holes in the base plate they will be same or greater than the area of the main mounting hole in the base plate. Everyone looks at holes and automatically assumes they are restrictive ...
lol.gif
This goes for the holes in the center tube also, and the annulus area around the end caps. The guys who design filters make sure there isn't a "choke" point somewhere in the filter.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Thanks for the pics. What stands out immediately (like Bill's Subie filter pics) is the difference in media area. Thread end bypass takes up space. Might not mean anything, but it is impressive.

With you on the P1 texture, like it too. And some great deals on them at AAP, especially with online codes.

How do you get a XG for < Napa Gold? Either the NG is too high, or you got a deal on the XG.

My Dad picked up the XG at the Navy Exchange for just over 5 dollars. NG's are running about 7.50 locally.

I need to go back to skool. Both have 8 inlet holes. I am happy with either filter, but tend to lean on the P1 as they can be had cheaper with good deals at AAP or Amazon.

Dave

Last edited:
I think the Napa Golds and the Pure Ones are the best filters on the market. I use both and tend to go with whichever is on sale...right now I have a stockpile of Pure Ones to use up.

The P1 I dissected had a solid rubber adhesive between the end plate and filter media that was absolutely impenetrable. It is easier to see when you clean the filter with gasoline.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
How do the AAP coupon codes work?
Go the Advance site, pick your products, at checkout enter a code based on the amount spent, and see confirmation of code applied. Example, if BIG5 still works, one could get 3 P1's for ~$ 3.35 each, plus tax, with in store pickup.

fyi, there are many codes out there, some still work, some don't. All code threads are on the promo board, but here's some. HTH
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2095835#Post2095835
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2108031&page=1
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2091516&page=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back