NAPA Gold, ProSelect, or OEM for a 2.7L EcoBoost using OLM to 0%

One of my customers has a 2017-2019 F-150 (can't remember the exact year) with a 2.7L EcoBoost. This is somewhere between his 2nd to 4th oil change on the truck ever. He bought it new and it's low miles. He follows the OLM to 0% and has a K&N CAI (I know...). He also doesn't have an oil preference and uses whatever oil is cheap, as long as it's a full synthetic (typically SuperTech FS). After this oil change which he already had the supplies for, he wants me to supply everything since I can get it significantly cheaper. I will give him a FS, probably Mobil Super Syn or M1 Truck & SUV. He used Supertech FS & a Motorcraft filter this time. I'm not sure how much he paid, but the MC filter can't be expensive. I believe the MC part number is FL2062-A (please correct me if I'm wrong). That said, I want to beat his price while still providing a good filter that can take the beating from the EcoBoost. He won't need one until at least next spring, after the next NAPA Farm & Fleet sale, at which point I can buy the filters half price. But the Gold version (100050) is $15.99 and the ProSelect (2100050) is $4.99. Half price would be $8 and $2.50 respectively. I don't think a Gold even at half price would be cheaper than a MC. But the ProSelect lists a lifespan up to 5K miles, then also states for OEM recommended intervals. Contradicting. 5K definitely won't be good for OLM intervals to 0%. I can get a MC2062-A for $7.12 at Advance everyday using a 25% promo. I'll check dealer pricing tomorrow, but I doubt it is cheaper.

Like all my customers, I want to keep them happy, but especially this one. I want to be able to beat any price he can get himself. But I also don't want to cut any corners. That said, what does everyone recommend? What's your two cents? Thanks!

But the ProSelect lists a lifespan up to 5K miles, then also states for OEM recommended intervals. Contradicting.
That's not a contradiction. They're saying that the OEM's interval supersedes any other change interval. Fram uses the same wording - they give a number or "follow the OEM".

It seems you are less open to blame to use the same oil and filter he chose, or even bump it up to MC full synthetic. A 2017 would be under power train warranty from the dealer.

filter

20200124_102843.jpg

20200124_102857.jpg

20200124_102558.jpg

20200124_102541.jpg

20200124_102825.jpg

I don’t care for Proselect filters at all. This one tore at or before 3,000 miles. Go with the Napa Gold or the Motorcraft.

I'm not sure I understand your business model. Are you running a quick oil change shop? Are you a licensed mechanic? Or just a guy who changes peoples' oil for a few bucks on the side. If you're running a business you shouldn't have to be scrounging this or that right?

Interesting, our NAPA Farm sales only put the Gold filters on sale.
It does seem to be hit or miss, but my local stores mark down all Gold oil, many (if not all) ProSelect oil, all Gold air, and all EnviroShield cabin filters. Stellar deals, but when the stars align and the $20 oil/air/cabin rebate also overlaps the Farm & Fleet sale like it did two springs ago... *head implodes*

I'm not sure I understand your business model. Are you running a quick oil change shop?
No. I'm running a shade tree quick quality oil change/auto repair shop that won't be beat on price. I'm a savant at getting parts for cheap (even cheaper than legit commercial accounts), take a cut, and pass on the savings to the customer for cheaper than they can get the parts themselves. If I'm more expensive, they supply the parts. But that's never happened.
Are you a licensed mechanic? Or just a guy who changes peoples' oil for a few bucks on the side.
Answer to question #1: No, but my 'business' partner is. I'm the overqualified parts changer/underqualified mechanic. He's the overqualified diesel mechanic who does it both for a living and on the side. I do the stuff that annoys him (oil changes, most fluids, plugs, filters, etc.), he does the stuff that's above my head (engine teardowns, control arms, springs, electrical, etc.). Answer to question #2: Bingo. This.
If you're running a business you shouldn't have to be scrounging this or that right?
"Scrounging" is exactly the thing that makes me money. Explained above.

"Scrounging" ? The way I see it, he wants to provide good quality parts for economical prices. Sounds like a good business person to me.
Nailed it.

i believe you can get the MC filter even cheaper at walmart then advance auto
I'd have to double check, but I don't think Walmart carries this MC filter in stores, which is why I referenced AAP.

I have bought the 2062 MC filter at the local walmart here for my brothers f150.

if they don't have it at your local walmart you might be able to order it through walmart for the same price that its listed at for a store that stocks it.

I believe the listed cost is $6.38

I get motorcraft filters in a case of 12 from rockauto auto with a 5% discount. It brings them to about $4 for a fl1a. That is if your running a shop and need the bulk filters.

I don’t care for Proselect filters at all. This one tore at or before 3,000 miles. Go with the Napa Gold or the Motorcraft.

When I had a 2.7EB every brand I looked at had the same German Made Cartridge. The Motorcraft cartridge has changed recently so I'm not sure what may be available now.

At the time the cheapest I could get one was $5.50 (Retail) from the Motorcraft Distributor which was about 1/2 to 1/3 Autoparts Chain Price depending on brand (Walmart didn't carry that filter then). If you qualify for wholesale through the local distributor you might check that route.

The German Cartridge was very well made. I don't know enough about the new MC Cartridge to comment.

Last edited:
One of my customers has a 2017-2019 F-150 (can't remember the exact year) with a 2.7L EcoBoost. This is somewhere between his 2nd to 4th oil change on the truck ever. He bought it new and it's low miles. He follows the OLM to 0% and has a K&N CAI (I know...). He also doesn't have an oil preference and uses whatever oil is cheap, as long as it's a full synthetic (typically SuperTech FS). After this oil change which he already had the supplies for, he wants me to supply everything since I can get it significantly cheaper. I will give him a FS, probably Mobil Super Syn or M1 Truck & SUV. He used Supertech FS & a Motorcraft filter this time. I'm not sure how much he paid, but the MC filter can't be expensive. I believe the MC part number is FL2062-A (please correct me if I'm wrong). That said, I want to beat his price while still providing a good filter that can take the beating from the EcoBoost. He won't need one until at least next spring, after the next NAPA Farm & Fleet sale, at which point I can buy the filters half price. But the Gold version (100050) is $15.99 and the ProSelect (2100050) is $4.99. Half price would be $8 and $2.50 respectively. I don't think a Gold even at half price would be cheaper than a MC. But the ProSelect lists a lifespan up to 5K miles, then also states for OEM recommended intervals. Contradicting. 5K definitely won't be good for OLM intervals to 0%. I can get a MC2062-A for $7.12 at Advance everyday using a 25% promo. I'll check dealer pricing tomorrow, but I doubt it is cheaper.

Like all my customers, I want to keep them happy, but especially this one. I want to be able to beat any price he can get himself. But I also don't want to cut any corners. That said, what does everyone recommend? What's your two cents? Thanks!

Mobil Full Synthetic (Super is obsolete) is a 7500 mi oil. Why would running it for 10,000 mi be okay if the filter isn't.

Seriously, that's just marketing by the manufacturer. They are all built to handle at least OEM drain intervals. The 5,000 mi, 7,500 mi and 10,000 mi filter and oil categories are well established but any name brand is built to make industry standards. A Chinese "knockoff" maybe not.

Here's a great reason to not use a Proselect, at least not for an extended interval. According to Napa's catalog, they're allegedly only good to 5k miles, likely well under whatever mileage Ford's OLM runs it out to. We stick with the Motorcraft filter on the 2.7 EB.

Here's a great reason to not use a Proselect, at least not for an extended interval. According to Napa's catalog, they're allegedly only good to 5k miles...
If that's the case, then NAPA (and/or WIX) are wrong in specifying that filter for that application. It does not "work" for this application. It needs to fit more than just the filter connection (cartridge, stud, etc), o-ring diameter, etc.

The FL2062A supersedes the FL2062. The A deletes the plastic/rubber/vinyl ends, the pleats are larger in diameter. My first thought is, "This will revive the Fram-phobia 'cardboard' wars." But if the element delaminates in use we will see it and they know it.

WSS-M2C946-B1 is Ford's oil specification. Studying bottles at Walmart finds that not everyone knows or meets this spec. At the time I was looking the base Mobil-1 did not list, but the premium Mobil-1 did. Ford has had problems with premature wear in the valve train, and deposits on the intake valves. This oil spec is said to address those issues. No doubt some oils meet this spec without knowing it, but it costs little to nothing extra to find one that does. Ford found the need to publish this spec because there are oils which do not meet.

A concern about SuperTech: at the least their "synthetic" motorcycle oil claims to meet SAE/API, JASO, and many other specs but is not certified by any. There is no SAE/API starburst.

Oh, and I'm surprisingly happy with my 2018 F-150's 2.7EB. Is fast and sips gas.

Of the three oil filter choices the Napa Gold is the only one I would use.

Napa Proselect is a garbage quality oil filter, I have seen waaaay to many threads on how they are tearing apart no later than 3000 miles.

Motorcraft seems okay but I have a lot more confidence in Napa Gold.

Exactly right ^^^^^^^^^

Go for the Gold Capt....

Where's that intro to that Gold show on Discovery ? ?

Gggggoooooollllllddddd ... :LOL:

Back