napa gold oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i was wondering if napa gold oil filters are any good
and if not what would be a good filter for a 97 mustang gt
Thanks

NAPA Gold oil filters are very good. They are the same as the Wix filter, because they're made by Wix to the same high standards.

I buy the Wix version at O'Reilly's and save a buck each over what the local NAPA sells them for.

If you're going to change your oil more often (every 3 months or 3,000 miles), then either a Motorcraft from Wal-mart or a Purolator Premium Plus from Advance (about $3-$4 each) will do just fine.

However, paying $6.29 for a Wix at O'Reilly's works just fine for me. I know I'm getting a top quality product for only a few bucks more. My truck is worth that to me.

Excellent filters.

We have a WIX employee on the board who has told us several times that the NAPA Gold filter is the same filter that WIX sells under their own name. And you can see the specs for those filters on the WIX website. The WIX part number is 5 digits and starts with the numeral '5'. WIX 51068 for example. The same filter with the NAPA Gold label has part number 1068 (drop the leading '5').

While WIX makes filters for the other NAPA lines - such as the 'silver' or 'select', they are made to a NAPA spec - not a WIX spec. Same thing applies to Carquest filters. Their Blue line = NAPA Gold = WIX.

You never mentioned how much you're willing to spend.

Amsoil EaO ($16)
Mobil-1 ($10)
Wix/Napa Gold ($6)
Purolator Pure Ones ($6)
(approximate pricing)

These are all the most popular silicone ADBV filters here at BITOG.

Yes, Wix are good. Very good, in my opinion.

If you're deciding on what filter to use, determine what your usage criteria are, then you can choose. I offer this for consideration, as I agree with Triple Se7en.

Amsoil EaO - undeniably a premium filter, at a premium price
Wix - a very good filter at a moderate price (esp. at fleetfilter.com)
Purolator Premium (white) a decent filter at a good price

If you can run an OCI out to 20k or better, based on driving habits, then perhaps the top end stuff is for you, especially if you value convenience of fewer O/Fci's timewise. If you run an OCI at 10k or so, the Wix should do quite well. If you only run 5k miles a year, like my parents, then Advance Auto Parts (Purolator) are a great cost effective alternative, along with inexpensive conventional (dino) brand name oil!

I've started to look after one of my neighbors (elderly widow). She drives MAYBE 1000 miles a year; down to church on Sunday, then to the WallyWorld, then home. Repeat once a week! She's on fixed income, yet she insists on paying her way. I can't give her anything. For her car, it's all Supertech. Still, her car will certainly outlive her, and probably me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back