NAPA Drain Plug ( Slight Leak )

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a NAPA Drain Plug on my transmission pan, I went ahead and got a copper washer. The bolt that goes into the pan has a slight leak, there is always a dab on the bolt.

I tried tightening the bolt, but I have the same problem.

Do I need to take the bolt out and use some of that liquid lock thread stuff, I am thinking the trans fluid is getting past the bolt threads somehow and if I put some lock thread on it will seal the thread and no more leak.

Let me know what you guys think, because if this does not work, then I will have to spend $75.00 for a pan with a drain plug already in it.

Yes, the nuts on each side of the pan are very tight.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am also going to put a bead of silicone around the bolt where it goes into the trans pan.

I will get it on the lift and check it out when I get home.

What was wrong with the original drain plug ?

For me, I reuse the original drain plug/washer on any transmission or oil pan for years and never had a leak.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
What was wrong with the original drain plug ?

For me, I reuse the original drain plug/washer on any transmission or oil pan for years and never had a leak.

My trans pan did not come with a drain plug, I took the plug out this afternoon, and put some Loctite on it, and I am letting it cure for 24 hours and then I will add the trans fluid.

My mistake was that I did not originaly put Loctite on the threads.

I will let everyone know how it works out when I take the car out on Thursday.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Maybe some Permatex Ultra Black. Teflon tape and compound is for NPT threads which you do not have. Loctite may work, but its not a thread sealant.

Are you talking about Permatex Ultra Black on the threads, my plug was loose, and a guy in my area who put a drain plug like mine on used Loctite and he was fine.

I think my leak was coming from the drain bolt coming loose.

I will be taking the car out tommorow, so I will let everyone know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back