Napa 5w40 $4.49

Valvoline might make it but they make it for NAPA.. same level as kirkland and supertech IMO.
Same add pack so it's the same as regular Valvoline branded version. Napa sells oil yes but they're not in the blending business just maintenance. Good oil at a good price.

Last edited:
It's Valvoline oil in a Napa jug go look at the link & it says right there in the description.
Similar additive pack(the part detectable with oil analysis) with unknown other composition.. perhaps. Calling it "The SAME" is unwarranted.
this is getting off topic.
Let me ask you a question.
By your proof being Valvoline makes it
Is your next argument going to be that TGMO is the same as Mobil 1?

Might be good to move this to a separate thread.

Same add pack so it's the same as regular Valvoline. Napa sells oil yes but they're not in the blending business just maintenance. Good oil at a good price.
It's Valvoline oil in a Napa jug go look at the link & it says right there in the description.
It says it's "developed by Valvoline" but it doesn't appear on the Mercedes BEVO list for 229.5, while the Valvoline oil does. Might be worthwhile to reach out and find out why that is if one was keen on running this product.

Kirkland and Supertech aren't on the list either, FWIW.

It says it's "developed by Valvoline" but it doesn't appear on the Mercedes BEVO list for 229.5, while the Valvoline oil does. Might be worthwhile to reach out and find out why that is if one was keen on running this product.

Kirkland and Supertech aren't on the list either, FWIW.
I'm not doubting this product so I'm not going to reach out to them. Valvoline is a trustworthy brand and if some don't think so then they can call to clarify. Why do I need to reach out to see if they meet 229.5? I don't own any MB.

Last edited:
Similar additive pack(the part detectable with oil analysis) with unknown other composition.. perhaps. Calling it "The SAME" is unwarranted.
this is getting off topic.
Let me ask you a question.
By your proof being Valvoline makes it
Is your next argument going to be that TGMO is the same as Mobil 1?

Might be good to move this to a separate thread.
It's well know that bottled NAPA oils are Valvoline product. That's a fact & let's not try to spin that into some other argument you're trying to make with me with those other companies that are no where in this discussion. We're talking about Valvoline in the NAPA bottle. No one is twisting you into believing that but that is the facts.

I'm not doubting this product so I'm not going to reach out to them. Valvoline is a trustworthy brand and if some don't think so then they can call to clarify. Why do I need to reach out to see if they meet 229.5? I don't own any MB.
Because if it doesn't meet 229.5 then it probably doesn't meet LL-01 or VW 502 either (it's not on the 502 00/505 00 list, I checked). We know it has the API approval, but that's of little use in Euro applications. If you don't own a vehicle where the Euro approvals matter, then clearly that concern doesn't apply to you, but others, who might be reading this thread, may find that information valuable.

I don't see where Valvoline is claiming that this oil is the same as the Valvoline-branded one that appears on the MB BEVO or VW lists. That claim was made by you:
fantastic said:
Same add pack so it's the same as regular Valvoline.
They simply claim to have developed the product.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't just Valvoline Euro in a different bottle with NAPA labels, but the fact that the approvals don't seem to carry over does raise an eyebrow and should encourage folks who are considering using it to investigate why that is.

Because if it doesn't meet 229.5 then it probably doesn't meet LL-01 or VW 502 either (it's not on the 502 00/505 00 list, I checked). We know it has the API approval, but that's of little use in Euro applications. If you don't own a vehicle where the Euro approvals matter, then clearly that concern doesn't apply to you, but others, who might be reading this thread, may find that information valuable.

I don't see where Valvoline is claiming that this oil is the same as the Valvoline-branded one that appears on the MB BEVO or VW lists. That claim was made by you:

They simply claim to have developed the product.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't just Valvoline Euro in a different bottle with NAPA labels, but the fact that the approvals don't seem to carry over does raise an eyebrow and should encourage folks who are considering using it to investigate why that is.
This is Valvoline oil for a good price.

This is Valvoline oil for a good price.
Or, you can look at it as a value-oriented oil manufactured by Valvoline, where a lack of formal approvals is reflected in the price.

This is a very similar, if not identical situation to the Motomaster oils produced for Canadian Tire by Shell. Their Euro oil also has no formal approvals beyond the API one.

Or, you can look at it as a value-oriented oil manufactured by Valvoline, where a lack of formal approvals is reflected in the price.

This is a very similar, if not identical situation to the Motomaster oils produced for Canadian Tire by Shell. Their Euro oil also has no formal approvals beyond the API one.
Or, you can look at it as it's the same Valvoline bottle oil but not paying for the approvals on this NAPA bottle & it's reflected in the price.

IMG_2232.jpeg

Back