Nanny Auto Devices

For me it is the more plumbing there is the easier it is to clog up the pipes. I do not like vehicles enough to enjoying the higher maintenance costs and problems.

Adaptive cruise is pretty good, and I like auto braking, but I wouldn't want either of them on if the roads are slick!

The Mercedes will read the speed limit signs and adjust speed accordingly. HARD FAIL on that feature! I turned that off the second day I owned the car and never turned it on again. Pretty much the same with lane keep assist. Might be OK on the highway (or if somebody has a bad habit of texting while driving) but if you forget to use that turn signal ONE TIME, things go south pretty fast.

My wife's '17 MDX had the most tech safety features out of all the vehicles we've had. Some I like and some I don't.
-lane keep assist especially when driving in windy days
-360 degree camera and parking sensors as a back up if the camera becomes dirty
-auto high beam
-blind spot monitor...still use mirrors set in proper settings, but nice to have a back up security, just in case.

Dislikes:
-auto start/stop: annoying when trying to park and engine shuts off
-adaptive cruise: Acura is way generous with distance separation and feels like SUV keeps about a mile separation even set at shortest distance setting. Also not very smooth in slowing down and going up to speed to resume
-cylinder deactivation: still don't trust the fuel saved will outweigh parts that will go wrong
-electronic parking brakes: I like lever style
-button gear shifts....takes up just as much space as regular shifter with no satisfaction when changing gears.

That's all I can think at the moment.

Happy Father's Day to those Dads who keep their machines running well and enjoy gear wrenching.

From two weeks ago? :)

I am looking at cars from the 30's thru the mid 60's.

Only really loving power brakes on heavy cars and a heater and AM radio.

Don't want no tech.
Ever since I noticed ABS doesn't work in the slushy snow.

Ever since Hill Holder almost killed me backing down a icy hill.

Ever since traction control would not let me get up my hill

Ever since Stop/Start doesn't let me pull out into busy traffic

Ever since the Heater/ AC Icons are so small they make me run off the road trying to make a small adjustment

Ever since he ECU saves all driver inputs before an "event"
ABS pumps far faster than you can in a slick road condition-that's a fact
I tow a 5,000 pound travel trailer all over the Rocky Mountains-the hill holder "holds" both the truck and trailer.
Stop/start is a non-issues in every car I have ever driven. Perhaps your example had something wrong with it.
Ever since the Heater/ AC Icons are so small they make me run off the road trying to make a small adjustment
Most systems are auto controlled and you don't need to look very closely to adjust temperatures.
Obviously with all of these "driver-aids" you don't need you are obviously a superior driver and shouldn't be concerned about storage of "events" since your skills are so good and you will never be in an "at-fault" accident.

I've completely changed my mind about them. I had a '15 focus SE with the most advanced driving thing about it was an auto-start if you stalled the engine. I didn't care of them when I didn't have them. When the engine blew on the focus, my mom let me use her Fusion Titanium with adaptive cruise control, BSM, lane-keep assist, self-parking, sunroof, CVT, and hybrid. It was basically the bane of half this forum. Well, I fell in love with all the tech and now my current car has adaptive CC, sunroof, HUD, BSM/lane-keep/emergency braking, auto-hold braking, and ventilated seats.

My past 2 cars had turbos so I've never cared if a car did or did not have a turbo.

If people don't want that stuff then that's fine. That's why there's base models.

Last edited:
The main reason I purchased the 2021 Honda HRV Sport AWD was because this model does not have none of that extra stuff ....If I would have purchased the EX model it had the lane change push button start and appative cruse control... I like it simple and I keep my eyes on the road too...I am 68 years old... :D

I wouldn’t consider push button start as a nanny. For those who detest push button start remember, many vehicles way back when had push button start. The button was on the floor. A friends 1949 pickup has the foot start button.

Reactions: hrv
Pretty much. Again the Post was meant to find those folks that Changed Their Mind (like me) not those that spout out the worn out dislikes for the stuff.
These dislikes are NOT worn out if they hinder my good driving or put me a risk - they are UNWANTED.

For the inattentive blobs of mostly water and pink goo behind the wheel enjoy you nurse nanny taking or you. Not directed at you Al, just shouting at the clouds.

Funny, I actually tried to get the wife to get familiar with the EyeSight DAT system on her New-ish Subaru Outback and she would have nothing of it. When disabled it does still beep when she crosses a centerline or lane marker. I thinks she accepts that aspect.

If I did a lot of interstate commuting I would give the system a fair shot.
For 95% of my driving, a 1933 Plymouth would be refreshing.

- AlleyCat and Arcographite

The busy, Tech-Laden 1933 Plymouth Dash board -

1933-plymouth-4-door_inter.jpg

Mainly I wondered if anyone had CHANGED THEIR MINDS
I haven't. I'm a millennial who works in the tech field, so comfortable with technology. I understand this stuff has its place, nobody can deny that. My two issues with it are as follows:

1. Many drivers default to using the technology as a replacement for driving instead of as an aid for driving.
Example: people who only use their backup camera but fail to look over their shoulder for the approaching vehicle in a parking lot.

2. Some of the execution of the technology is poor, and it becomes a nuisance/distraction rather than an aid.
Example: lane keep assist constantly beeping, vibrating the seat, etc, even though you are within the lane.

Yea-it's amazing how many "superior drivers" on are this forum......
Nice, that's helpful.

I gave a great example of a system that does not work for me. It has NOTHING to do with my admittedly amateur driving skills. Again, many of these systems are not great and don't have a good picture of the road ahead. Nor can they anticipate a drivers needs. Period, end of story.

I keep lane departure turned off, mostly because it fights me. I don't use my phone or eat while driving, so I just don't really need it.

I do like adaptive cruise, but it sucks when we have heavy rain or snow as it will turn off, and I can't activate any type of traditional cruise instead. If weather isn't perfect, I get no cruise. I wasn't sure if I would like this feature, but I have grown to like it.

Rear collision is just 'meh...mostly annoying. It hasn't saved me, I would say it would be a take it or leave it.

Rear back up cameras I love! These are very helpful. I catch myself looking at my old school radio in the Vette when trying to back it into the garage.

Stability control is also a 'meh - when it does activate, I have not needed it, and I can't say I have been in a situation where I did need it. I kept it on in the Vette during one autoX event to see how hard I could push it...spun out (full 180) less than halfway through the course. I think I like my own stability control better than the computer. It also activates WAY too early in my brides ZR2. With full time AWD in the Buick, I can't say I have really noticed it intruding yet.

ABS pumps far faster than you can in a slick road condition-that's a fact
I tow a 5,000 pound travel trailer all over the Rocky Mountains-the hill holder "holds" both the truck and trailer.
Stop/start is a non-issues in every car I have ever driven. Perhaps your example had something wrong with it.
Most systems are auto controlled and you don't need to look very closely to adjust temperatures.
Obviously with all of these "driver-aids" you don't need you are obviously a superior driver and shouldn't be concerned about storage of "events" since your skills are so good and you will never be in an "at-fault" accident.
In slushy snow or gravel, a "skidding" tire will stop faster than one pulsed with ABS - you won't have steering authority, but it will stop faster.

Hill holding can be annoying if you WANT to roll while at a stop. Oops...I stopped a little past the line, and I could let off the brake and roll back just a bit without putting it in "R" and scarring the crap out of the person behind me. It was also a pain when trying to stage my Abarth during AutoX events.

It would be interesting to see some 0-60 times from a dead stop with a car sitting at idle vs. same car with auto start/stop. I would bet my lunch the car sitting at idle is faster off the line. Lucky for me, I have a button to turn this feature off on my Buick...anytime I'm in busy traffic, it is switched off.

Agree most auto HVAC systems work quite well today - although I'm not a fan of how hard it is to keep everything in auto, but turn the AC compressor off to save fuel.

These dislikes are NOT worn out if they hinder my good driving or put me a risk - they are UNWANTED.

For the inattentive blobs of mostly water and pink goo behind the wheel enjoy you nurse nanny taking or you. Not directed at you Al, just shouting at the clouds.

Funny, I actually tried to get the wife to get familiar with the EyeSight DAT system on her New-ish Subaru Outback and she would have nothing of it. When disabled it does still beep when she crosses a centerline or lane marker. I thinks she accepts that aspect.

If I did a lot of interstate commuting I would give the system a fair shot.
For 95% of my driving, a 1933 Plymouth would be refreshing.

- AlleyCat and Arcographite

The busy, Tech-Laden 1933 Plymouth Dash board -

View attachment 104622

I like that high tech starter pedal there.

Millions of people lost their teef and fractured their skulls on those steering wheels. Ah the good old days.

Back