NANKANG vs Mastercraft vs KINFOREST vs Mayrun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
Of the tires you listed, I'd go with the Mastercrafts which are made by Cooper I believe. They are a Cooper brand that are usually sold at service stations and the Strategy seem to be quite decent.

This.

Of those four listed tires, I'd get the Mastercrafts. They may be made in one of the Cooper factories in China (just guessing, they may not be), but at least they're coming from a large, reputable company.

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Passenger/Strategy-(H/V-Rated).aspx

Personally, I'd probably get something better, but I wouldn't have concerns about running a Mastercraft tire.

It looks like Kinforest and Mayrun are brands owned by the same Chinese company. I have never before heard of either of these brands:
http://www.kinforesttyre.com/Aboutus.asp

Nankang I've at least heard of. They're a Taiwanese company, which I strongly prefer to Chinese:
http://www.nankangusa.com/about

It looks like Nankang has two factories, one in Taiwan and a larger one in China.
http://www.nankang-tyre.com/home.php?fn=eur/about

Well the Mastercraft *is* a private label cooper - regardless of where it's made, at least some money will come back to the US!

The other ones ... are very likely made by the same company. There are a few large tire companies that make a lot of these Chinese knockoff tires.

With that said, a friend of mine just put Crosswind tires on his car and they seem to be working well. Also, I see a ton of cars with the Chinese knockoff tires ... they must be doing something right.

Based on the replies here, I decided to buy 2 Mastercraft tires. They were really good priced on Ebay.

Some of the replies about the money issue, the TSX is owned by a relative of mine that knows nothing about cars.She got the car back in 2005 but lost her job a couple years ago so money is tight for her.

I visit her about once every 3 month and do her oil changes and stuff when I can. The other day, I saw that her front tires were really busted up.
jLu6RJA.jpg

o6KuAyY.jpg

She said she did go to some shops to ask for pricing and they were quoting her anywhere from 140 per tire to 200 per tire which she doesn't have the money so she has been putting it off. I guess getting some ok tires will be better than the ones she has on now.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I see a ton of cars with the Chinese knockoff tires ... they must be doing something right.

Yeah, they are providing something that looks like a tire at dirt cheap prices. It doesn't make them good, it doesn't even make them a good value. But they are certainly able to capitalize on the "I will buy the cheapest piece of [censored] possible" mentality that seems prevalent in North America
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: soyeahiknow
Based on the replies here, I decided to buy 2 Mastercraft tires. They were really good priced on Ebay.

Some of the replies about the money issue, the TSX is owned by a relative of mine that knows nothing about cars.She got the car back in 2005 but lost her job a couple years ago so money is tight for her.

I visit her about once every 3 month and do her oil changes and stuff when I can. The other day, I saw that her front tires were really busted up.
jLu6RJA.jpg

o6KuAyY.jpg

She said she did go to some shops to ask for pricing and they were quoting her anywhere from 140 per tire to 200 per tire which she doesn't have the money so she has been putting it off. I guess getting some ok tires will be better than the ones she has on now.

Did she price some decent used ones?

jLu6RJA.jpg

o6KuAyY.jpg

Not only does she need tires, but she probably needs shocks, too (which is the most likely reason to cause that feathering). Tire problems often indicate suspension problems.

The Mastercrafts are at least better than those, though.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Nankangs are fine,they are no Pirellis but good value.You guys should't mix Taiwan made products with Chinese one.

Except that Nankang has a very large factory in China, so all their tires aren't Taiwanese.

I actually agree with your sentiment. For a variety of quality and political reasons I don't mind buying Taiwanese products at all, and I strongly prefer Taiwan to China.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Nankangs are fine,they are no Pirellis but good value.You guys should't mix Taiwan made products with Chinese one.

Except that Nankang has a very large factory in China, so all their tires aren't Taiwanese.

I actually agree with your sentiment. For a variety of quality and political reasons I don't mind buying Taiwanese products at all, and I strongly prefer Taiwan to China.

Never mind that,a foreign owned factory in China can make great products,every other cell phone is made there and they work well.

jLu6RJA.jpg

o6KuAyY.jpg

Does the car have serious alignment issues or did she run them underinflated?

As far as the alignment issue, that was something I have to look at. I was hoping it was just her not rotating her tires. I thought she would since there was a lifetime rotation with the current tires but I don't think she rotated them for a long time.

I did test drive it yesterday and when I tried to make a sharp turn, the car would briefly lose grip for a second before catching on.

Can someone point me to some basic tests to see what suspension parts are bad? I know about jacking up and moving the wheels to see if there is any play. What is the most likely cause of the feathering?

As far as the alignment issue, that was something I have to look at. I was hoping it was just her not rotating her tires. I thought she would since there was a lifetime rotation with the current tires but I don't think she rotated them for a long time.

I did test drive it yesterday and when I tried to make a sharp turn, the car would briefly lose grip for a second before catching on.

Can someone point me to some basic tests to see what suspension parts are bad? I know about jacking up and moving the wheels to see if there is any play. What is the most likely cause of the feathering?
Oh man, she reminds me of my former roommate
smile.gif

Ok, this is what I would do:
1. Make sharp, fast long turns to see whether wheel bearings are worn out. If it makes howling noise, they need to be replaced.
2. Check shock absorbers by swinging car on each side (from corners and back corners). After you swing car, car should abruptly stop in highest position. If it keeps swinging, that means shock absorbers are gone.
3. Check CV boots. Are they torn? Is there grease on the inside of the wheel.
4. How is alignment? is car keeping direction or immediately turning to either side? I would still go and to alignment when put new tires regardless.
5. Oil in engine. Make sure she puts proper oil. Considering her care of car, this could be an issue too.

My former roommate has Passat 1.8T, which is much more complicated to maintain. I thought her what oil she needs to put and how to check all those stuff. But I made sure she understands importance of alignment. I made her buy Bridgestone tires bcs I think that although they are more expensive, in a long run they are cheaper. They are going strong after 3 years, and she does not have issues with a car.

How old are these tires?
I've never seen that kind of damage on any Michelin I've ever had.
This car may have suspension problems.
If it does, tie rod ends would be the first things I'd look at.
These are pretty cheap and easy to replace, although the car will need an alignment after this is done.
I now understand why you were looking for the cheapest possible tire.
Any new Chinese tire would be safer than these old Michelins and you're just trying to help out a sister fallen on hard times.
Good on ya!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I see a ton of cars with the Chinese knockoff tires ... they must be doing something right.

Yeah, they are providing something that looks like a tire at dirt cheap prices. It doesn't make them good, it doesn't even make them a good value. But they are certainly able to capitalize on the "I will buy the cheapest piece of [censored] possible" mentality that seems prevalent in North America
smirk.gif

Actually, I see many used by people who DEMAND value: commercial trucks! A local outfit uses Roadmaster & Westlake tires...you may have heard of them, they go by "Budweiser"!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

smirk.gif

Actually, I see many used by people who DEMAND value: commercial trucks! A local outfit uses Roadmaster & Westlake tires...you may have heard of them, they go by "Budweiser"!

Well tire on par with quality of beer!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why are you going for the cheapest possible tires?
All of these are going to be of unkown quality.

I find it funny that the OP, a driver of a "premium" car, is trying to cheap so far out on tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back