Nail in tire, what would you do?

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Yes I have a spare but it's a Dunkin ðŸ©

Just use the Dunkin as long as it holds air. The Dunkin is a better option that this repaired tire.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by andyd
4 pages of safety to an extreme.You guys are over reacting. I'm gonna be the contrarian. If the tire holds pressure and the car has TPSM . Put tire on RR mostly to appease the worry warts. A freaken 1 1/4" roofin nail barely penetrates the air seal on an other wise good tire. TPMS will alert you when it notices a 10% loss. In days of yore, I had plenty of tires with slow leaks. This will not fail in dramatic fashion. It is mostly an aggravation. Especially in round town use

I agree 100%. "Safety to the extreme" and overreacting is common in all the tire puncture discussions.

It really is ludicrous....but dang if it isn't entertaining. I have patched worse holes in worse places on worse tires, and driven them till the air is showing. Was it smart? No...but it worked. Spending a couple hundred bucks on a tire that will probably dry rot before it wears out just because someone said it won't work is ridiculous.

Thank God, in this day and age, there are still tire shops who will make repairs like this. There is the right way, the wrong way, and the good enough way...and sometimes, good enough is just that.

+1. When I was a kid we had never heard of seat belts. I would sit in the front seat with my head just a foot or so away from a metal dashboard. Nothing ever happened to me. This safety stuff is way overrated.

Originally Posted by artbuc
+1. When I was a kid we had never heard of seat belts. I would sit in the front seat with my head just a foot or so away from a metal dashboard. Nothing ever happened to me. This safety stuff is way overrated.

To an extent....it is way overrated.

In reality both sides have merit

There is the safety concern based on the engineering data and measured tire failures by various tests and organizations.

There is also the truth that many times such repairs can and do hold up for the life of the part.

Lot of random variables contributing to the outcome.

The big thing ( at least for people like us who have to have bonds) is litigation. We cant afford to even recommend many of those "common sense" repairs ( despite the fact they most likely will perform in a satisfactory manner) because of the legal liability for warranties, name brand damage and "duty of care" requirements.

It just isn't worth the risk because "good advice" or a "common sense recommendation" can be used against you in court because it contradicts some "study" somewhere that's considered a "standard".

Back