Nail in tire, what would you do?

Cn't imagine how a nail can puncture that far up. Time for a new tire. It would make a nice spare if you can get a rim cheaply.

Last edited:
basically tire is done with a nail in sidewall like that....only other option might be a tube but if there are tire pressure sensors then that would be out of the question

I'm the guy that's been using string plugs since The 70s but I wouldn't fix that One. If it was me I'd weigh the cost of tubing that tire and happily ignoring the idiot light vs the cost of a new tire and how much life is left in the others.. nothing sucks more than buying a new 💰💰💰 tire to pair with a set that just about 🤬 half worn out. That really sucks . Right about now is when you wish the manufacturers still sold them with spares🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸. Ahhhhh, decisions decisions and none of them will likely be ideal.

^^ What THEY ALL said ^^

Need to mollify your situation with humor? For the price of a replacement tire you get to be safe, socially responsible, stoic (providing you don't go 'round town complaining about this nail), heroic (why not, for the past 20 years everyone else is?) and smart. A bargain if you ask me.

And yes, this is surely an angering occurrence.

Not even the local Mexican tire shops around here would consider repairing that. "No beuno senior" my buddy Hector would say.

Not sure if you have road hazard coverage, but that is covered under that policy.
Otherwise, get a new tire.

I am assuming that is the Honda Ody for the family?
The liability is too high for not spending around $100-$200 to replace the tire.

Had to make a quick temp fix so I can continue getting supplies for my dual bathroom remodel(wife is due with baby in like 3 weeks so I can't have any delays) but am just doing slow driving between home depot.

Current Michelin LTX m/s have over half life left in them
Do I buy another to match(knowing I won't even get fill life out of it) for $$$ or buy a cheaper tire like a kumho or cheaper end Goodyear for $80 shipped?

Last edited:
Tough call--usually tires have to match on the axle. I don't see AWD listed in your sig so no worries there.

Do you have to pass vehicle inspection? If not, I'd be tempted to go with a cheaper tire that has lower tire wear rating. Wrong thing to do, but for (mostly) low speed driving, I can't see it being the end of the world. Will the tires age out or wear out?

The best thing to do is to buy a pair of tires, next best would be a new Michelin so as to match. What is the price range between the options? If the cost difference between the options is on the order of a night out on the town...

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Had to make a quick temp fix so I can continue getting supplies for my dual bathroom remodel(wife is due with baby in like 3 weeks so I can't have any delays) but am just doing slow driving between home depot.

Current Michelin LTX m/s have over half life left in them
Do I buy another to match(knowing I won't even get fill life out of it) for $$$ or buy a cheaper tire like a kumho or cheaper end Goodyear for $80 shipped?

Do you have a spare? I would install that in lieu of driving with this patched tire.

4 pages of safety to an extreme.You guys are over reacting. I'm gonna be the contrarian. If the tire holds pressure and the car has TPSM . Put tire on RR mostly to appease the worry warts. A freaken 1 1/4" roofin nail barely penetrates the air seal on an other wise good tire. TPMS will alert you when it notices a 10% loss. In days of yore, I had plenty of tires with slow leaks. This will not fail in dramatic fashion. It is mostly an aggravation. Especially in round town use

Originally Posted by andyd
4 pages of safety to an extreme.You guys are over reacting. I'm gonna be the contrarian. If the tire holds pressure and the car has TPSM . Put tire on RR mostly to appease the worry warts. A freaken 1 1/4" roofin nail barely penetrates the air seal on an other wise good tire. TPMS will alert you when it notices a 10% loss. In days of yore, I had plenty of tires with slow leaks. This will not fail in dramatic fashion. It is mostly an aggravation. Especially in round town use

I agree 100%. "Safety to the extreme" and overreacting is common in all the tire puncture discussions.

Tell that to those that bash Chinese tires.....................BTW-you have no proof that it will not fail in a dramatic fashion. It goes back to-is your life worth the $200.00 or what ever the tire costs to replace?

Some of us wouldn't want our wife-driving around on a tire that has been repaired with a puncture in that location. Nor-would I want my grand kids in a car with me at 80 mph (legal speed here on many parts of I-15) on a tire like that.

So yea-what makes more sense.......

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gfh77665

I agree 100%. "Safety to the extreme" and overreacting is common in all the tire puncture discussions.

Better safe to the extreme than sorry to the extreme. The OP has everything to lose and nothing to gain by patching the tire. That new baby needs a dad.

No reliable hope for that tire period. The problem with trying to repair a sidewall puncture is, that the sidewall bends, and stretches in many directions every tme the tire goes around. Might stick for a bit, but it will come loose just like moving a Band-Aid around. With a patch on the tread area of the tire, the patch only bends in one direction, and doesn't stretch. With an extreme angle on any hole the chances of a plug working are slim at best. You end up with 2 holes in the tire then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

Better safe to the extreme than sorry to the extreme. The OP as well as those they share the road with has everything to lose and nothing to gain by patching the tire. That new baby needs a dad.

Slight correction.

Driving is already at high risk of being a contact sport as it is, without adding willful neglect of a critical safety component as an additional factor.

I think it's fair to assume that the OP doesn't drive around in a vacuum, where the only risk that tire poses is to themselves.

Back