1 bad tire, what would you do?

I have about 20K on a set. One tire has been abused. Two nails and a big rod. Plugged but losing air. Would you replace one tire? Two? Or the whole set??

what vehicle.. what tires. Tread depth remaining on tires (or a pic with penny in the tread if you are unsure)

The easiest answer would be to buy 1 used tire that is the same as the other 3 and nearly the same tread depth.

This answer could change depending on how crappy the tires are, what vehicle they are on etc.
without that information replies to your post would be "garbage in(lack of info) garbage out(answers not relevant)"

if its awd you might have to buy all 4
if the tires are barely worn michelins or another top rated tire.
the answer would be different than 4/32 remaining OEM tires. etc etc.

If it’s a 2WD vehicle and the other tires have ample tread depth, replace the bad one with a brand/model you may want to buy when you replace the remaining tires. Put the new on on the non-driven axle to extend its life.

If it’s an AWD, you’d have to consult your manual about what’s acceptable re: tread depth.

I've had this problem before and purchased 2. Then placed them up front.

In fact, I kind of have it again. So your thread is relevant to my needs.

I understand the wisdom is to use the new tires in the back, with the expectation that it prevents oversteer. However in the rain, the front tires do move water away from the rears at highway speeds. Overall, I've found that I can go faster before hydroplaning with fresh tires up front.

The suggestion of a used tire is also interesting. Might be difficult to achieve, but I'm not against it.

2017 Camry, Left rear tire. So my guess is above 5/32 but have not measured. Kumho Solus TA31

IMO just get one new, similar tire. You'll never notice any difference.

You will still be better off than most vehicles out there.

Edit: If you do want new tires, 5/32 is close to where I replace them anyway for the cold rain and snow.

Last edited:
I had a tire on the front of my Titan that was worn unevenly . The other side was good . I replaced the bad tire and got the front end aligned .

I'd just find a super cheap used tire with similar tread depth, put it in the rear for a month or two before I get an entirely new set. I dislike running tires that are not worn down evenly.

I have had success finding used tires on Champ Tires. They are usually very reasonably priced. At 5/32nds I'd probably only be running those tires for a short time longer. Do you like the tires? If not, maybe this is a good time to take advantage of a rebate on a set of 4 new tires.

I have about 20K on a set. One tire has been abused. Two nails and a big rod. Plugged but losing air. Would you replace one tire? Two? Or the whole set??
I would replace a pair, but keep the good one as a spare in case this happens again. Or maybe find a used tyre but time seems an issue here

I’m with Astro. 2 new. At 20k I’m half worn.

If I had an awd I’d be sad with buying 4 new, but one buys an awd knowing that going in.

If you plan to just replace 1 suggest look on eBay for a used one Buy exact tire brand model with same/similar tread left. Multiple sellers there with good reviews. That's if other tires are good still. Otherwise suggest just buy a new set or at minimum 2 new tires if 2 wheel drive or all 4 if 4 wheel drive.

at 5/32 I would replace all 4 of those before winter. I'd just replace them now.
of course we dont know your location since you didnt fill that out..

Back