Michelin CrossClimate 2 (puncture issues)

I’m on my second set of Michelin CrossClimate2 tires. I had to replace the previous set prematurely due to excessive punctures and one finally being too close to the sidewall which required a whole net set for my AWD car. I haven’t had the new set long and we just got another puncture today.

While we’ve certainly had to patch/plug tires in the past I have never had so many with one set of tires before. This all started happening when we switched to these. Great tire, but I’m not sure if I’m just running into bad luck or if the wider tread pattern on these just allows them to uptake a nail or sharp object easier? This is getting expensive and time consuming.

Look at the number of tread plies on Michelin tires vs Goodyear. Michelin often has two less plies than Goodyears do. I’m no fan of Goodyear.

I’m on my second set of Michelin CrossClimate2 tires. I had to replace the previous set prematurely due to excessive punctures and one finally being too close to the sidewall which required a whole net set for my AWD car. I haven’t had the new set long and we just got another puncture today.

While we’ve certainly had to patch/plug tires in the past I have never had so many with one set of tires before. This all started happening when we switched to these. Great tire, but I’m not sure if I’m just running into bad luck or if the wider tread pattern on these just allows them to uptake a nail or sharp object easier? This is getting expensive and time consuming.
What was the source of the punctures? All the same or different sharp things?

I call it bad luck and not the tires...
I assumed as much, but I need new tires on our second vehicle soon. It’s my intent to get the CrossClimate 2 on it as well, but I haven’t had a puncture on the current set ever (Michelin Primacy or Premier.. I forget without going to look) and I’m down to 3/32nd on them. Biggest difference between these two vehicles is one is my mostly work commuter and the one with all the punctures has been the kid hauler. So anyway, just making sure this isn’t a thing folks with this tire are seeing en masse before I shell out the money for them again.

Last edited:
The tread, when new-ish, seems to collect more stones than any other tyre. It stands to reason that it will also pick up metal objects of a compatible size, and I suspect given enough revolutions some might cause a puncture.

After the tread wears some, they don't collect debris anymore. That said, I never pnctured mine (original CC, not cc+, not cc2)

Look at the number of tread plies on Michelin tires vs Goodyear. Michelin often has two less plies than Goodyears do. I’m no fan of Goodyear.

Internal construction of the CrossClimate2 consists of a two-ply polyester casing supporting two steel belts. A polyamide reinforcement is added to further enhance high-speed stability and performance.

Internal construction of the Assurance WeatherReady utilizes a single-ply polyester casing. Two wide, steel belts support the tread area, and a polyamide reinforcement aids handling response and high-speed capability.

looks like the michelin has "one more ply" but plies are outdated tire weight might be a better indicator.

in 225/60r17 the goodyear is 27lb
and the michelin is 26lb

Could you list example competitive tires that have 2 more plies.

For the OP: might be a combo. bad luck and tires slightly more prone.

I've had 3 or 4 punctures in a year.. then went 5+ years without any personally.

Last edited:
"Excessive Punctures".

That's a good one! When my truck gets less than shiny it has "excessive dirt".....

A variety. Bolts, nails, and random sharp metal objects.
Hmmm. Well, it's just one data point but our CX5 has about 7500 miles on CC2 with no flats. Daughter gets a flat twice a year no matter what tires.

I was set on the CC2 but have decided the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 is the one to beat. By the time (if) I need new tires there may be a new king by then but for now it's the Scorpion.

Back